Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Neighbor's Pit Bull: Resolution

robotfire

I doubt the dog will be killed. It sounds like it's still a pup. Someone will want it.

+ points for the overdramatic post, though :)

3-4 million dogs is a lot of killing of innocent creatures, who are suppose to be part of our society. I would say that I am being less than dramatic.

I'd much rather have my kids grow up safe and not afraid to play outside having to look around there back every second they are out there rather than some loser that can't train a dog :rolleyes:

that Pitt turning on them is way more likely to happen when it got older considering it stays in their yard now and barks at them 24/7

because you know...every dog that has to be let go as a puppy is killed

No, not every dog that goes to a shelter will be killed, just most of them.

I am not putting the blame on you, per say. I am just pointing out that this is not an uncommon occurrence.

Dogs lives are not valued anywhere near where they should be or we wouldn't be killing so many.

I understand why you did what you did and ultimately, the blame falls squarely on the owner who shouldn't of had a dog. That happens a lot. People buy a dog, can't keep it/ don't understand the commitment/ don't have the time or energy/ lose interest and send it to a shelter and it's put down, then the mills and back yard breeders just breed some more. It's an awful shame.

I have had the burden of others dogs placed on my shoulders and I think I did the right thing in dropping everything to make sure the dog had a good life. I did it for the dog and nobody else.

+1 for your ignorance if you dont think people are just as overreacting as the OP in this thread. People like him are terrified of dogs just because of the breed. So your over the top simplicity of "someone will want the dog" isnt true; there are a lot of nervous nancy's out there and people with neighbors like this who call to have these dogs removed.

you dont believe me? go to the san diego animal control adoption page and count the pits.

This is true. Every day across this country thousands of dogs meet their end, many of them pit bulls (even little puppies), just because people maintain a negative perception of them that in large part is undeserved.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu_KbSBxJQE0BZOpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnRlBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11l2fmirb/EXP=1226676763/**http%3a//www.pinupsforpitbulls.com/

That is a site for Pin ups for Pit Bulls. Friends of friends of mine who make pin up calendars, with dogs and donate the money to rescues. Just seems like an appropriate time, for a not so shameful plug.

+1 for your ignorance if you dont think people are just as overreacting as the OP in this thread. People like him are terrified of dogs just because of the breed. So your over the top simplicity of "someone will want the dog" isnt true; there are a lot of nervous nancy's out there and people with neighbors like this who call to have these dogs removed.

you dont believe me? go to the san diego animal control adoption page and count the pits.

:laugh:

If someone doesn't want the dog, someone doesn't want the dog.

The place it was in probably wasn't a good place... for the dog or for the people around the dog.

You always make me laugh with your oversimplicity.

:laugh:

If someone doesn't want the dog, someone doesn't want the dog.

The place it was in probably wasn't a good place... for the dog or for the people around the dog.

You always make me laugh with your oversimplicity.

youre right, i am over simplifying things by telling you first hand experience I have working with the dept of animal control in san diego. :rolleyes:

way to ASSUME you know what the place was like for the dog without actually having seen it firsthand.

I think it would be cool if people showed 1/10 the passion for their fellow human beings that they do for dogs.

Gotta love our values- people will step over top of a person passed out laying in his own feces in order to save a dog.

I tend to get along better with dogs.

Besides, out side of the elderly and children (who I do support), people can take care of their own.

I think it would be cool if people showed 1/10 the passion for their fellow human beings that they do for dogs.

Gotta love our values- people will step over top of a person passed out laying in his own feces in order to save a dog.

no matter how I act my dog loves me. No matter how bad of a day my dog may have had she loves me. she is there when I wake up, she is waiting for me when I get home and she is just always happy to see me.

People tend to be more judgmental and "moody" if you will.

But Zoony, if it came down to a saving a dog or saving you, I would save you. But you'd owe me a beer. ;)

Glad its working out. I hate some dog owners - they are such careless aholes. They dont care about anyone else but themselves.

There is a Doberman down the street from my house - it is as big as a horse. It barks and freaks out constantly. My kids screamed and cried everytime we walked by the house to their friends - now I cant take them near that house.

You gotta see this thing - you come within 100 yards of the house you can see it bouncing off the ceiling to get outside. This thing is just mean and bred for one thing - killing. The sad thing is that it will get out one day and get to one of the kids. I just hope its not mine because the dog would be dead and likely the owner too. The owner is a complete Ahole for keeping that type of dog in a neighborhood of 50+ kids.

Again, it has to be asked. Have you taken the time to meet the dog?

My lil girl goes absolutely freakin nuts when anyone walks by our house, she looks like she wants to rip your arms off and play fetch with them. Until you walk up to her and then she flips right over on her back, paws up in the air and she just wants a belly rub.

I'm not saying this is the case but if people didnt know any better about my girl they'd be scared to death of her. Luckily I have neighbors that took the time to address their concerns with me so I could show them what all the fuss was about.

Now a couple times a month I find new toys in my yard from neighbors that have stopped by to hang out with her. Assuming the dog is just mean and looking to hurt someone is just as ignorant as you are trying to make the dog owner out to be.

Remember: Being a good neighbor is a 2-way street.

honestly, it sounds like your neighbor isn't the type of guy to take the time to properly train such a powerful dog. good call as far as i'm concerned.

Agreed, most of the stories I hear about pits come from irresponsible owners, and at pit is a high maintenance dog that can be a good animal but percautions must be maintained to reduce the risk. I'm not anti-pit, instead I'm Pro-Responsibility, and if someone is showing a lack in the latter then I'm against that person owning a pit.

The Pitbull the people own behind is really nice, I pet it all the time. Then again it is as someone pointed out a very well trained dog. It obeys commands that even a total stranger initiates. This guy doesn't sound like he was going to train his dog that way. An injury or death waiting to happen.

Good point Zoony. I was going to type, before seeing your post, that a human's life is FAR more valuable then any animal. If this protected his kids, then so be it.

I own a pit and am a responsible owner. I think that owner needs a fence, but I also think EVERY dog owner should have a secure fenced yard, regardless of breed.

I agree, anyone in a neighborhood with a outside dog should have a fence.

I have a Rott,and used to have Chows...A good fence and a leash when walking protects the dog just as much as the neighbors.

Now if people would just restrain their friggin cats:mad:

or what I call fuzzy snack food;)

Good point Zoony. I was going to type, before seeing your post, that a human's life is FAR more valuable then any animal. If this protected his kids, then so be it.

I couldn't agree more. We had to get rid of our mixed breed lab about 2 months ago because she started snapping at the kids and she bit me twice on the hand. She wouldn't train, she ran off constantly if not immediately chained, and the only person in the house that she would even half way listen to was me. She was a little over a year old when we got rid of her, but during that time she was abnormally high strung and unruly. We hated to lose her but after three strikes (2 times snapping at the kids 2 times biting me) that was enough. I was not going to be the guy on the news who said, "Well, we didn't think she'd do that."

To the OP, I applaud you. You did the right thing, I would have done the same thing or something similar. I own a dog, and when I used to live in VA, our neighbors had two little kids, so what did we do? we put up a fence! It should be mandatory nationwide, just like leash laws, vaccines, etc. And my dog is not a Pit or Rottweiler, he's just a mix of German Shepherd and Shar-Pei, but IT DOESN'T MATTER, family safety should be a top priority or else you are a failure of a parent.

Again, it has to be asked. Have you taken the time to meet the dog?

My lil girl goes absolutely freakin nuts when anyone walks by our house, she looks like she wants to rip your arms off and play fetch with them. Until you walk up to her and then she flips right over on her back, paws up in the air and she just wants a belly rub.

I'm not saying this is the case but if people didnt know any better about my girl they'd be scared to death of her. Luckily I have neighbors that took the time to address their concerns with me so I could show them what all the fuss was about.

Now a couple times a month I find new toys in my yard from neighbors that have stopped by to hang out with her. Assuming the dog is just mean and looking to hurt someone is just as ignorant as you are trying to make the dog owner out to be.

Remember: Being a good neighbor is a 2-way street.

I am a block away and its a culdesac and from what I understand the people arent very approachable. They dog hasnt done anything to anyone except bark his balls off... you may be right but the damage is done with my kids - they wont go near the house anyway. Frankly, it is really unnerving to me...

I am just very prejudiced. I hate mean dogs and see no need to own pitbulls, dobermans or rots. I dont blame the dogs, they are just animals, I just dont get it when it comes to owning an animal that could possibly kill someone. I was attacked by a German shepard when I was 4 (very scary) and then by a Doberman when I was 14 - (even scarier because the owner then tried to kick my ass for hitting his dog with a brick after it bit my buddy in the ass and my hand... he went to jail).

I guess its like guns. I think its a right to own a gun but do you need an assault rifle?

What is the allure?

I understand why you did what you did, but you knew he wasn't allowed to have the dog, so calling the landlord would only result in the dog getting evicted. Don't be naive to think a landlord is going to spend the money for a fence when he/she doesn't allow dogs on the property.

It's definitely more important for your family to be safe so you made the right decision. The dog's owner does not seem like he would properly train the dog.

Dogs feed of people's energy and body language. If you are scared, the dog will know and try to establish dominance by barking, growling, and/or attacking. People who are already nervous around dogs shouldn't be around dogs.

Archived