Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Neighbor's Pit Bull: Resolution

robotfire

Did you try to get to know the dog? Puppies can't hurt you. Dude should have got a fence though. Pit Bulls are one of the best breeds around so I guess Im Pro-Pit. It's all about how they are raised. I miss my dog:(. R.I.P. Vita

I believe any dog owner will say the same thing about their breed. Except Pit bulls are known for their violent behavior.

I am a block away and its a culdesac and from what I understand the people arent very approachable. They dog hasnt done anything to anyone except bark his balls off... you may be right but the damage is done with my kids - they wont go near the house anyway. Frankly, it is really unnerving to me...

I am just very prejudiced. I hate mean dogs and see no need to own pitbulls, dobermans or rots. I dont blame the dogs, they are just animals, I just dont get it when it comes to owning an animal that could possibly kill someone. I was attacked by a German shepard when I was 4 (very scary) and then by a Doberman when I was 14 - (even scarier because the owner then tried to kick my ass for hitting his dog with a brick after it bit my buddy in the ass and my hand... he went to jail).

I guess its like guns. I think its a right to own a gun but do you need an assault rifle?

What is the allure?

I see your point(s) and don't deny you those feelings and opinions.

I guess my point was:

just because a dog looks and/or acts mean doesnt mean that it is. If possible take the time to get to know the owner(s) and the dog(s).

Oh well, one more life in the ****ter. It was just a dogs life, no way should the value of that be more than the cost of a fence or training lessons.

Glad nobody had to pay that kind of money.

America could never kill 3-4 million dogs every single year without irresponsible dog owners, cheap landlords and scared neighbors.

while I understand your sentiment here, how many rental properties do you own? And how many times have you had to fix thousands of $$$ worth of damage done by tenants dogs? hell even a well behaved dog, in a backyard, deposits like 500 gallons of urine in the ground per year. I've build at least 1000 projects in back yards where dogs are kept and it's disgusting. I live on a dead end street and there must be 8 large dogs on our block. These people think nothing of letting their dogs run off leash and letting them drop turds in my yard. Dog owners, mostly, remind me of smokers in their inconsiderate attitudes towards others in their neighborhoods. Owning a dog is a privilege not a right. Proof of this is the county's ability to remove your dog for noncompliance.

I see your point(s) and don't deny you those feelings and opinions.

I guess my point was:

just because a dog looks and/or acts mean doesnt mean that it is. If possible take the time to get to know the owner(s) and the dog(s).

Cool. I do see your point, too.

If I am out there one day, I will make an attempt. I really do like dogs just not the mean ****s... My parents have a sweet lab mix and the kids are even scared of her because of the scary dog down the street.

while I understand your sentiment here, how many rental properties do you own? And how many times have you had to fix thousands of $$$ worth of damage done by tenants dogs? hell even a well behaved dog, in a backyard, deposits like 500 gallons of urine in the ground per year. I've build at least 1000 projects in back yards where dogs are kept and it's disgusting. I live on a dead end street and there must be 8 large dogs on our block. These people think nothing of letting their dogs run off leash and letting them drop turds in my yard. Dog owners, mostly, remind me of smokers in their inconsiderate attitudes towards others in their neighborhoods. Owning a dog is a privilege not a right. Proof of this is the county's ability to remove your dog for noncompliance.

I don't think I made any comment on renters rights, did I?

I don't think I would call having a dog a privilege, even if it does make me feel like that at times.:)

3% of the population 50% of the attacks. Those are hard numbers to deny.

It's because of the idiots who get those types of dogs purely to fight or make aggressive. If there was another breed so famous for dogfighting, I be the numbers would be similar.

I hate to stereotype and I'll say that not all pit owners are like this...but during my work with gang members and criminals, it was amazing how many had pitbulls.~ Nearly 100%. It's cool to have bad ass pitbull in their mind...Again, I don't blame the breed, I blame people who, for years, have turned a good breed into an animal of aggression and not being a responsible owner. In every case of pitbull attack that I came across, EVERY single one had owners who either were training them to fight (we found proof) or would let the dog just roam around free.

I don't think I made any comment on renters rights, did I?

I don't think I would call having a dog a privilege, even if it does make me feel like that at times.:)

it was probably the "cheap landlords" that got my attention ;). Privilege may be the wrong word, but dogs are definitely a liability and a risk that has to be managed. And a lot people aren't about managing squat.

youre right, i am over simplifying things by telling you first hand experience I have working with the dept of animal control in san diego. :rolleyes:

If every single unwanted dog in there is a puppy, you win.

way to ASSUME you know what the place was like for the dog without actually having seen it firsthand.

Uhhh. Have you read any of the OP's posts?

PS: An environment where the dog isn't trained properly and it goes out and hurts someone and as a result is putdown, isn't a safe environment for a dog.

His family is 10x more important than the dog.

If every single unwanted dog in there is a puppy, you win.

Uhhh. Have you read any of the OP's posts?

PS: An environment where the dog isn't trained properly and it goes out and hurts someone and as a result is putdown, isn't a safe environment for a dog.

His family is 10x more important than the dog.

Im done with you and this silly argument. :doh:

I have a 70 pound pit mix. Most people have no problem. But some people cross the street because they are scared. Others will not let their dog near or play. Its hilarious. The only way my dog could hurt someone is if licking peoples faces was deadly.

My favorite type of dog in the word is pit mixes. LOVE THEM.

I have a 70 pound pit mix. Most people have no problem. But some people cross the street because they are scared. Others will not let their dog near or play. Its hilarious. The only way my dog could hurt someone is if licking peoples faces was deadly.

My favorite type of dog in the word is pit mixes. LOVE THEM.

The ironic part is that with many dogs the sense of fear is what triggers an aggression response in their minds. My girlfriends grandma breeds Komondors, and the only time their alpha male has ever bitten anyone was when she was mad and the dog sensed it, and bit the person she was mad at. Good dog ;).

Im done with you and this silly argument. :doh:

I honestly apologize if I came across as being a bit aggressive. That wasn't my intent. And honestly, what I posted to Koolblue was more of a joke than it was an attack.

Yes, I think he was being a little overdramatic, but not to a crazy degree. I understand that alot of unwanted dogs ARE put to sleep, but that doesn't mean that this one will.

The OP did what was right for his family. I'm glad that he had their best interest in mind. I understand your point of view, I really do. I just can't agree that the dog is more important than the family.

lets compare the number of religious fanatics to regular christians. then we can use that number to make a stereotype against ALL christians just because of a few bad ones.

:cheers:

I'd agree with you if a certain religious people made up 3% of the population and yet commited 50% of the crime, if that was the case then I would be seriously looking at that 3% to find out WTHeck was going on there.

I'd agree with you if a certain religious people made up 3% of the population and yet commited 50% of the crime, if that was the case then I would be seriously looking at that 3% to find out WTHeck was going on there.

So along your line of thinking their are no other contributing factors to the statistics.:rolleyes:

So since the majority of our jails are full of people that are a minority then they are all dangerous. So our new president should not be allowed to be president because he is a law breaker by nature?:doh:

how many people in the LDS church are lumped in with the loons that get caught like this latest dude?

how many people in Jonestown died because of following Jim Jones?

David Koresh...same thing.

How many people think that Christians in general are looney because of people like Fallwell and Bakker?

So along your line of thinking their are no other contributing factors to the statistics.:rolleyes:

So since the majority of our jails are full of people that are a minority then they are all dangerous. So our new president should not be allowed to be president because he is a law breaker by nature?:doh:

Think that will work??;)

I wonder how strict they are on definitions and if many are similar breeds?

There is also the fact the stereotype feeds into higher reporting.

For example ASF would likely report a pitt bull attack(or a similar breed) yet I doubt he reported his lab mix biting....not inferring anything ASF,just a example.

I think many breeds get a pass by perceptions,hell I've been bit by labs more than any breed AND called a liar for saying it.:rolleyes:

I have no use for pitts btw

Here's the deal: I wouldn't have said a word if there was a fence. How would you feel about a wolf living next door to your children while unfenced? Well, wolf-hybrid dogs only account for 3% of serious attacks on humans. Pit bulls account for 50%. Pit bulls only account for 1 to 3 percent of the dog population.

I totally agree that there are great owners. Here's what makes you a great pit bull owner: You know that your dog has the potential to be dangerous. Therefore, you know better than to take your pit bull to a dog park. You also know to put up a fence to protect your dog and other dogs/people who may come in contact with it. Training is a must. You make sure that the dog knows you are the dominant one. It's not his house, and you don't let that pit bull on the furniture. You make sure that dog gets plenty of exercise. A pit bull is far less likely to be agressive if it exercises often.

Pit bull + my children / nothing = DOES NOT COMPUTE. I'm justified, and if you wouldn't have done the same thing, then I officially question your parenting.

I would like to know if those numbers were that high for dobermans in the 80's or Shepards in the 90's or collies in the 70's.
Those numbers are from 1982 to 2006. Dobermans made up about 1% of attacks, Shepherds made up 3% of attacks. Shepherds were involved in 3% of deaths and 3% of maimings. Pit bulls were involved in 39% of deaths, 46% of maimings. This is not including pit bull mixes, who account for about 5% of attacks on top of the 50% the full-breds account for.

It's because of the idiots who get those types of dogs purely to fight or make aggressive. If there was another breed so famous for dogfighting, I be the numbers would be similar.
"The traditional approach to dangerous dog legislation is to allow "one free bite," at which point the owner is warned. On second bite, the dog is killed. The traditional approach, however, patently does not apply in addressing the threats from pit bull terriers, Rottweilers, and wolf hybrids. In more than two-thirds of the cases I have logged, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Children and elderly people were almost always the victims."

~Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People

In every case of pitbull attack that I came across, EVERY single one had owners who either were training them to fight (we found proof) or would let the dog just roam around free.
I think you're probably right that most attacks come from fighters and dogs who aren't fenced. I'm not interested in proving you right, which is why I called the landlord about getting a fence. It was clear that this dog had free reign.

how many people in the LDS church are lumped in with the loons that get caught like this latest dude?

how many people in Jonestown died because of following Jim Jones?

David Koresh...same thing.

How many people think that Christians in general are looney because of people like Fallwell and Bakker?

How many people want to live next to a tiger? These aren't people, they're animals. I can interact with a person and get an idea of who he is regardless of race, religion, etc.

And if anybody else still wonders if this guy could have possibly been the best owner of all time, let me put your thoughts to rest: HE'S A COWBOYS FAN.

Archived