Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Neighbor's Pit Bull: Resolution

robotfire

I contacted the landlord of the renter who bought the pit bull (click here for previous thread). The landlord came over, told him he has to get rid of the pit bull within thirty days, and also told him to clean up his yard. I can't help but wonder if somebody else called as well, because I didn't say anything about the guy's trash in his yard. I also wasn't trying to get the pit bull evicted - I was trying to get the landlord to put up a fence. At any rate, this is how the saga ends. I thought some people might be interested in an update.

EDIT: If anybody thinks I overreacted by calling, please note that my intention was to get a fence, not get the dog evicted. Also note that I have pictures of this dog in my front and back yard. He doesn't leave when I tell him to. He barks at my family when we're outside together. He's only a puppy right now, but puppies grow up.

I did A LOT of research about pit bulls and other dogs in general. Pit bulls account for slightly more than 50% of serious attacks on humans, Rottweilers make up 19%, and the most after those two breeds are german shepherds and wolf hybrids at 3% each.

This study compiled by Robert Clifton, editor of Animal People. Statistics cover only attacks by dogs of clearly identified breed type or ancestry, as designated by animal control officers or others with evident expertise, who have been kept as pets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

“In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three percent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 percent of serious attacks”

~Dr Richard Polsky, dog bite legal expert

“...it is sheer foolishness to encourage people to regard pit bull terriers and rottweilers as just dogs like any other, no matter how much they may behave like other dogs under ordinary circumstances. “Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed— and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price. Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals...”

~ Merritt Clifton, Editor of Animal People

In more than two-thirds of the cases I have logged, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Children and elderly people were almost always the victims.”

In a study reported by Robert Plum, retired professor of California State University, one dog in 55 will bite someone seriously during the course of a year. With respect to breed differences in the tendency to inflict serious injury, Plum estimates that when a pit bull bites a human, 1 in 16 will inflict serious injury; this contrasts with a ration of 1 in 296 for Dobermans, and 1 in 156 for German shepherds

EDIT: If anybody thinks I overreacted by calling, please note that my intention was to get a fence, not get the dog evicted. Also note that I have pictures of this dog in my front and back yard. He doesn't leave when I tell him to. He barks at my family when we're outside together. He's only a puppy right now, but puppies grow up.

Overall this is the best thing that could have happened to you. The best thing that could have happened to the world would have been for you to catch the dog, and either take it to the pound or you could have ....................ahhhhh never mind :cool:.

Did you try to get to know the dog? Puppies can't hurt you. Dude should have got a fence though. Pit Bulls are one of the best breeds around so I guess Im Pro-Pit. It's all about how they are raised. I miss my dog:(. R.I.P. Vita

Most of the time I agree with this. But that was my point in my story about almost being attacked by a pit bull. Of the three siblings my neighbor had, two were very sweet. Same litter of pups, same owner for all three. Yet one of the dogs was vicious. I can't explain why but I think sometimes you run across a dog that just can't be trained. Not saying that was the case for the op, but with small children I'm glad he didn't take that chance.

Did you try to get to know the dog? Puppies can't hurt you. Dude should have got a fence though. Pit Bulls are one of the best breeds around so I guess Im Pro-Pit. It's all about how they are raised. I miss my dog:(. R.I.P. Vita

In your opinion, at what age is a Pit, not a puppy any more?

don't blame you one bit. the guy is obviously dysfunctional in regards to his belongings etc... no reason to think any differently in regards to him managing a potentially dangerous animal. After all it's more about the owner then the dog, as others have stated. Getting acquainted with the animal is not the overall solution but getting rid of the dog is. :)

Glad its working out. I hate some dog owners - they are such careless aholes. They dont care about anyone else but themselves.

There is a Doberman down the street from my house - it is as big as a horse. It barks and freaks out constantly. My kids screamed and cried everytime we walked by the house to their friends - now I cant take them near that house.

You gotta see this thing - you come within 100 yards of the house you can see it bouncing off the ceiling to get outside. This thing is just mean and bred for one thing - killing. The sad thing is that it will get out one day and get to one of the kids. I just hope its not mine because the dog would be dead and likely the owner too. The owner is a complete Ahole for keeping that type of dog in a neighborhood of 50+ kids.

I just have to step in to defend my rotties. Rotts are probably the sweetest, most well dispositioned dogs you could ever hope to meet. Great with kids, great with other animals. You couldn't ask for a better dog.

The problem comes because of their appearance. Because they look mean and because of media portrayals (The Omen, etc.), you have jackasses out there who abuse them and make them mean. It's really sad that one of the best working and companion breeds out there gets a bad rep because of crappy owners.

That said, they are powerful dogs. Really powerful. So when you do have an unfortunate abusive owner situation and one of them is turned bad, they can cause a lot of damage. You're actually more likely to get bitten by those little high-strung dogs like spaniels or those stupid purse-dogs, the resulting injury though is not nearly as severe. I would love to see breeders be more discerning about who they sell to. Or maybe mandate home visits or a background check to be able to purchase one of the more powerful dog breeds. Something to make sure they aren't going to some idiot wanna-be thugs who just want a mean looking dog to look hard. I don't know. I just know it sucks to watch a great breed take it on the chin because of bad people.

Raising rotts is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have as a dog owner. They're just amazing dogs. Plus you get to watch:

java_pup.jpg

turn into

java.jpg

:)

Close friend trains German Shepherds and a few other breeds. He likes to get a pup to train when they are between 7 to 10 months old. He will take German Shepherds a little older. But he absolutely refuses to take a Rottie after 12 months. Considers them the most stubborn dogs in the world once they are a year old. Not mean, but extremely hard headed.

Close friend trains German Shepherds and a few other breeds. He likes to get a pup to train when they are between 7 to 10 months old. He will take German Shepherds a little older. But he absolutely refuses to take a Rottie after 12 months. Considers them the most stubborn dogs in the world once they are a year old. Not mean, but extremely hard headed.

I can see where he's coming from on that. Training rotts is a neat experience. Most dog breeds are "eager to please" and will follow instruction because they want to elicit a good response from the trainer..make the owner happy. With rotts it's more of a "Alright, show me why I'd want to do that" attitude. I've been fortunate in that every rottie I've owned I've been able to train up since puppyhood.

Oh well, one more life in the ****ter. It was just a dogs life, no way should the value of that be more than the cost of a fence or training lessons.

Glad nobody had to pay that kind of money.

America could never kill 3-4 million dogs every single year without irresponsible dog owners, cheap landlords and scared neighbors.

Oh well, one more life in the ****ter. It was just a dogs life, no way should the value of that be more than the cost of a fence or training lessons.

Glad nobody had to pay that kind of money.

America could never kill 3-4 million dogs every single year without irresponsible dog owners, cheap landlords and scared neighbors.

I doubt the dog will be killed. It sounds like it's still a pup. Someone will want it.

+ points for the overdramatic post, though :)

I'd much rather have my kids grow up safe and not afraid to play outside having to look around there back every second they are out there rather than some loser that can't train a dog :rolleyes:

that Pitt turning on them is way more likely to happen when it got older considering it stays in their yard now and barks at them 24/7

because you know...every dog that has to be let go as a puppy is killed

I doubt the dog will be killed. It sounds like it's still a pup. Someone will want it.

+ points for the overdramatic post, though :)

+1 for your ignorance if you dont think people are just as overreacting as the OP in this thread. People like him are terrified of dogs just because of the breed. So your over the top simplicity of "someone will want the dog" isnt true; there are a lot of nervous nancy's out there and people with neighbors like this who call to have these dogs removed.

you dont believe me? go to the san diego animal control adoption page and count the pits.

I'd much rather have my kids grow up safe and not afraid to play outside having to look around there back every second they are out there rather than some loser that can't train a dog :rolleyes:

that Pitt turning on them is way more likely to happen when it got older considering it stays in their yard now and barks at them 24/7

because you know...every dog that has to be let go as a puppy is killed

so let me get this straight, every dog that barks all the time will eventually turn on it's owner? well we better get rid of daschounds, hounds period and chihuahuas. :rolleyes:

and unless the dog is from pittsburgh it only has one "t" ;)

Archived