Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Malcolm Kelly...

SkinsAllDay34

Exactly what i have been saying, but one of the reasons for running fly patterns is to open the underneath routes for moss and randle el...so more of a decoy and not the first read. Also he has been getting open over the top on occasions according to Zorn.

In the future, I hope it's ARE and Moss running fly patterns to open up the underneath to Kelly and Thomas. Dink and dunk, then BAM, lightning in a bottle to ARE or Moss.

Sounds like JZ is kicking the tires with Kelly in practice. Hope he holds up.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/zorn_wrap.html

The Redskins are also working rookie WR Malcolm Kelly very hard, trying to see how his sore knee will respond, and if they will need to put him on IR in the near future.

"I'm pushing Malcolm Kelly now," Zorn said. "We're going to find out [if he can overcome this sore knee]. We just have to."

Have the skins EVER done that?

We did it alot with Monk and believe it or not, little Alvin Garrett who used his speed to get separation. I remember us trying it alot under Turner who threw to Westbrook, but Westbrook always looked like some gangly kid who could never get his body under control. He had the worst jump/land I've ever seen for a WR.

Size is good, but being able to get seperation is better. Considering how limited players are in being physical in the passing game, size doesn't gain you as much as speed. If you don't have at least some speed and seperation ability, it doesn't matter if you are big or not. You don't find too many big and slow WRs in the NFL, but you do find a good many small and fast WRs.

And that's what has been so depressing about Thomas so far. The only route Zorn trusts him to run is a fly route, and he can't get any separation on those.

I think this team is rising up against the pukes, not falling as you state. Not getting egotistical head cases is a prime factor in our team first attitude. If Ocho is capable, why isn't he producing? He must realize his value has dropped precipitately due to his lack of production and antics on and off the field.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It is Dallas that is slipping, not us.

As for his lack of production, it is always possible that he's doing it to get himself out of Cincy. While it is a stretch, it is possible.

As a matter of fact, we have not gone after anyone who wanted out of their team and demanded a trade except maybe Kendall, and the Jets were offering him peanuts. Nobody who actually contributed here anyway. That shows in the team we have so far. Blowing 2 first rounders on 85 would have been a mistake that would have cost us for half a decade.

There are plenty where the old team soured on the player for whatever reason. Course, that's usually when trades happen. As for demanding a trade defining him as a malcontent, there is nothing that says it would lead Ocho to turn into TO.

If we had ended up giving up two first rounders for Ocho, almost certainly it would be because we got huge production out of him. There might even have been a requirement that we reach a Super Bowl for all we know. If that was true, would it have been worth it?

Anyways, the deal wasn't done, so no point in talking about things that didn't and aren't going to happen.

I just wish the draft class, aside from Horton, was showing some kind of progression towards contributing. So far they haven't. Some can't even play.

As with most draft classes, you often don't see many results in the first year, particularly if you have pretty good players playing ahead of such rookies. Drafting isn't about the now but 2-3 years down the road.

Jason

And that's what has been so depressing about Thomas so far. The only route Zorn trusts him to run is a fly route, and he can't get any separation on those.

That's not true. He's had a couple WR screens and he had a good comeback route for a 1st against the Eagles. Also, rewatching the Arizona game he got open deep a few times. The ball just didn't get to him.

The main thing holding him back right now are the penalties. That's the only reason why Zorn isn't trusting him right now. That, and he's trading time with Thrash at the #3 spot.

Jason

That's not true. He's had a couple WR screens and he had a good comeback route for a 1st against the Eagles. Also, rewatching the Arizona game he got open deep a few times. The ball just didn't get to him.

The main thing holding him back right now are the penalties. That's the only reason why Zorn isn't trusting him right now. That, and he's trading time with Thrash at the #3 spot.

Jason

The comeback route was nice -- I was at the game and couldn't believe it.

But I have watched him very closely and he has had a very hard time getting separation on fly routes. He looks like a bigger, somehow slower, and younger version of Thrash on those.

I'm not saying he has no chance of turning into a decent player. Like Zorn, I've just been very disappointed from what I've seen so far.

And the penalties are not the only reason Zorn doesn't trust him -- Zorn has basically said the kid came in unprepared and still doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

I just wish the draft class, aside from Horton, was showing some kind of progression towards contributing. So far they haven't. Some can't even play.

Oh please. Devin Thomas had a crucial 3rd down catch in Philly where he got seperation from Asante Samuels. Clearly he can play a bit, he just needs to cut back on the mistakes. Good thing hes 21 year old rookie, he should have time to do just that.

Kareem Moore is already contributing on special teams. We have seen him breaking into the lineup and with Doughty's back, we should be seeing more from him.

Rob Jackson as well has been getting reps and played quick a bit in Dallas. Blatche commented how he worked really hard to force outside runs back in.

Brooks - bust

Tryon - ? DB play has been good, what do you expect

Kelly - ? Hurt

Davis - ? maybe the only guy you could legitimately be dissapointed in as we have used multitight end sets and weve used personnel that didnt include him

Brennan - what do you expect a 3rd qb to contribute?

Horton - Money

Rhino - ? But our G play has been good this year, what can he really show?

Just cause they dont have Horton production doesnt mean they arent contributing or "showing some kind of progression towards contributing"

Brooks - bust Check

Tryon - ? DB play has been good, what do you expect Scary bad against scrubs in preseason. Hasn't seen the field at all.

Kelly - ? Hurt Hurt when we picked him. 6 yard pass. Still hurt. It's looking like this is his week, or Zorn puts him on IR.

Davis - ? maybe the only guy you could legitimately be dissapointed in as we have used multitight end sets and weve used personnel that didnt include him Maybe talented. We really didn't need him. Still don't.

Brennan - what do you expect a 3rd qb to contribute? I'm OK with Colt.

Horton - Money Check. Easy money.

Rhino - ? But our G play has been good this year, what can he really show? IDK yet. Hasn't seen the field.

Moore - Didn't blitz like he was supposed to, could have saved game. As per Blache. Severely outplayed by Horton. Couldn't beat Doughty.

Thomas - More negative yards with stupid penalties (actually repeating the exact same stupid penalty over and over) than positive yards. Can't beat out Thrash. Zorn questions his intelligence. So do I.

Jackson - 1 tackle so far. And JT has been out.

Oh please, lol.

To this day, I'm still puzzled that almost everytime I'm on this website, I find myself having to defend one of our own players.
What's more puzzling, is the fact that you feel that it is your responsibility to have to defend our players in the first place.

Also, I don't know if you realize it or not, but a few members opinions here does not represent the entire board. (You're never going to change their minds).

BTW, I happen to agree with everything that you pointed out.:)

It's only week 7. He's been very limited but like I said, it's only week 7 of his rookie year. Give it a little more time.

I'd rather have someone limited their rookie year and be stellar the rest of their career and vice versa. He might not turn out like that but we won't know until later in his career.

Management did not take that mindset with Durant Brooks. I doubt they will be any more lenient with Kelly, except that he will end up on IR instead of cut due to how high he was drafted.

But I have watched him very closely and he has had a very hard time getting separation on fly routes. He looks like a bigger, somehow slower, and younger version of Thrash on those.

It seem very rare now-a-days that a WR can beat at DB on a fly route when matched up one on one (eveybody can run). Seems like the best way to beat a DB (when in man to man) on a fly route is a double move of some sort. Just goes to show that there are athletes all over the field today.

Brooks - bust Check

Tryon - ? DB play has been good, what do you expect Scary bad against scrubs in preseason. Hasn't seen the field at all.

Kelly - ? Hurt Hurt when we picked him. 6 yard pass. Still hurt. It's looking like this is his week, or Zorn puts him on IR.

Davis - ? maybe the only guy you could legitimately be dissapointed in as we have used multitight end sets and weve used personnel that didnt include him Maybe talented. We really didn't need him. Still don't.

Rhino - ? But our G play has been good this year, what can he really show? IDK yet. Hasn't seen the field.

Moore - Didn't blitz like he was supposed to, could have saved game. As per Blache. Severely outplayed by Horton. Couldn't beat Doughty.

Thomas - More negative yards with stupid penalties (actually repeating the exact same stupid penalty over and over) than positive yards. Can't beat out Thrash. Zorn questions his intelligence. So do I.

Tryon - Scary bad against scrubs in preseason. Hasn't seen the field at all.

Hasnt seen the field cause our Corners have been playing awesome. Heaven forbid someone look bad at a skill position when they step into the pros. Still, he probly wont be anything more than a 3rd corner

No one is going to pretend like hes not hurt. Most receivers dont do jack their rookie seasons. Since hes been hurt, you really cant judge what he will be like in the pros (see, santana moss)

Didnt need him sure. Still dont? I would rather have him in there when Yoder was getting those pentalies and missing those blocks last game. Again, 6 weeks in, I dont know what you would expect

Hasnt seen the field. Must not be making any kind of progress right?

Whats that? A rookie made a rookie mistake? NO WAY! Severely outplayed by Horton? 90% of Safties in the league are being outplayed by Horton. Hardly indiciative of being able to contribute.

Cant beat out Thrash cause Thrash knows the WCO and is playing very well. Zorn questions his preparedness not his intelligence. You question his intelligence cause hes a rookie who didnt jump into a complex offense and play like a probowler. Guess what, hes playing like a rookie.

Playing DL isnt about stats. Just when Carter blew up the goal line run in philly. That didnt show up in the statbook. Jackson's contributions are the same. The last few weeks when no one was running on us? Yeah, he was part of that

But heres my favorite part. Youre standard is Horton. And thats just silly. Horton is the gem of the draft, not the standard.

"Rookie X isnt playing like Horton - hes looking like a bust" No way. Its just not how it works. There is no schedule for how a rookie should produce. If there were, you wouldnt be complaining cause no one is behind it.

Originally Posted by Hooper

But it's early and at least Cinnci turned down our ridiculous two first rounders for Chad Johnson offer.

Still wiping the sweat off my brow from that. What an idiotic attempt. It will be a long road to redemption in my eyes for the FO due to that. Horton appears to be just dumb luck, and the rest of the draft has proven to be completely worthless. So far.

Ocho's stats - 19 receptions for 216 yards. Long was 22. With 1 TD. For 2 firsts???

I can see reserving judgement on a few of the guys because of circumstances. But the entire draft? I'm not looking for starters yet or even a regular decent performance. But we got nothin at all from anybody except Horton. Nothing.

I can't believe how many people have turned to bashing the Ocho trade now that he is playing like crap. I remember this guy named Randy Moss who was good for the Vikings, went to the Raiders and sucked because he was unmotivated due to playing for a franchise with no light at the end of the tunnel. Ever heard of that guy? Cuz he played in the Superbowl last year! Oh yeah, and he was spectacular on a team that went undefeated. Let's compare: CJ was good for the Bengals, then wanted out, didn't get out, seems to be unmotivated. Looks like a pattern to me. If he was in DC instead of Cincinnati, it would be a whole other can of worms.

I can't believe how many people have turned to bashing the Ocho trade now that he is playing like crap. I remember this guy named Randy Moss who was good for the Vikings, went to the Raiders and sucked because he was unmotivated due to playing for a franchise with no light at the end of the tunnel. Ever heard of that guy? Cuz he played in the Superbowl last year! Oh yeah, and he was spectacular on a team that went undefeated. Let's compare: CJ was good for the Bengals, then wanted out, didn't get out, seems to be unmotivated. Looks like a pattern to me. If he was in DC instead of Cincinnati, it would be a whole other can of worms.

Though you may be right, I think OchoCinco's poor productoin might actually stem from his ankle. I dont think hes healthy yet. By the end of the season he might be again. THEN you add in the whole not wanting to play in the land of the Bungles and you see a bad bad situation. I expect him to get out and start producing again after a trade

Hey Malcolm Kelly,

Welcome to remedial reading 101!!

Today's lesson is the same as when you started.

Your word for today is: AVAILABLE

1. Present and ready for use; at hand; accessible: kept a fire extinguisher available at all times.

2. Capable of being gotten; obtainable: a bedspread available in three colors.

3. Qualified and willing to be of service or assistance: a list of available candidates; was not available for comment.

This is very important when employed by the NFL.

Maybe one day you'll get it...................

Brooks - bust

Tryon - ? DB play has been good, what do you expect

Kelly - ? Hurt

Davis - ? maybe the only guy you could legitimately be dissapointed in as we have used multitight end sets and weve used personnel that didnt include him

Brennan - what do you expect a 3rd qb to contribute?

Horton - Money

Rhino - ? But our G play has been good this year, what can he really show?

Brooks - Did they cut him just because his avg was low, or is his injury that bad? More than meets the eye there.

Tryon - I'd have kept Matteral Richardson, he was way more steady in preseason, just didn't make as many FLASHY plays as Tryon.

Kelly - Just needs to take care of that knee, it will heal as time goes on.

Davis - I didn't get this pick, still don't, but he's got talent, no doubt.

Brennan - How impressive was this guy in preseason? God forbid anything should happen to keep Campbell off the field. This guy is worth keeping around just in case.

Horton - Just shows what a crap shoot the draft really is. If the scouts and draft know-it-alls (you know who you are!) actually did know it all, this guy would have been off the board the first day.

Rhino - I haven't seen this guy since preseason.

Hey Malcolm Kelly,

Welcome to remedial reading 101!!

Today's lesson is the same as when you started.

Your word for today is: AVAILABLE

1. Present and ready for use; at hand; accessible: kept a fire extinguisher available at all times.

2. Capable of being gotten; obtainable: a bedspread available in three colors.

3. Qualified and willing to be of service or assistance: a list of available candidates; was not available for comment.

This is very important when employed by the NFL.

Maybe one day you'll get it...................

Exactly what I've been talking about.

:doh:

Jason

D. Thomas did get deep on AZ, but he sure didn't get any separation against the Rams. I watched him every time he got into the game. He ran step for step with a corner on every fly.

Granted, his deep routes may open things up underneath for El and Cooley, but I wish we would run designed plays to get him more involved in the offense. If he's having difficulties running routes, a WR screen seems a good way to get him involved. Stop, catch, and run. Or run him on a reverse. Let's see what he can do with the ball in his hands.

Archived