Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Malcolm Kelly...

SkinsAllDay34

How is he "getting used to the game"? He can't play, and he can't practice without hurting himself. He can't help the team from the sidelines. He can't do anything. The best thing for his career, if he ever is going to have one, is go on IR. Let his knee heal fully, get another operation, whatever. Then come back next camp and show his stuff, whatever it is. I haven't called him a bust, but he is a bust so far, and it gets worse each week. How is he supposed to take a tackle or lay a block on that knee? If he can't play or even practice, he is hurting this team taking a roster spot and not doing himself anything but further damaging that knee. How long are we supposed to wait until he heals?

Zorn seems to be concerned with the situation and has publicly stated so. Why pick on fans when the Head Coach reflects the same concern? Maybe it's you not concerned about the team? Or maybe you think Zorn has his head up his ass? I'd give the guy another week or 2, but in the meantime Vinny should be looking for somebody to take his spot. Someone who can help this team. It ain't charity here.

I know Zorn has publicly stated this, and I agree with everything he's said about it. The reason he's so concerned about it, I bet, is because he knows what kind of potential #12 has got. And I like your 2 week range. If he's still on the sidelines come bye week, or the week after IR him. Let him heal up, get in better shape, and explode next year.

But it doesn't matter, whoever we bring in to fill in for him will be a failure anyways to most people on here. It's either pro-bowl or bust it seems.

I just get tired of all the wise cracks. Yea, I know most of them are just fun, and dandy, but they get on my nerves. I mean, these are OUR GUYS out there. It's not like he's faking injuries so he doens't have to play. If he can play without hurting the team, I willing to bet my bottom dollar he'd be out there. I don't know. I've been here a while and know that's pretty much how it works around here, but jeez louise, give it a rest.

:notworthy

Case closed.....

If the kid didn't have the ability, Zorn would have had Malcolm on the IR, probably weeks ago. He set school records at Oklahoma when he was healthy, he can do damage here in the redzone. Hell, put him out on the island and throw a fade to him, guaranteed hes coming down with it.

Sorry for believing in our players, how stupid of me.

But it doesn't matter, whoever we bring in to fill in for him will be a failure anyways to most people on here. It's either pro-bowl or bust it seems.

We even need a body in practice who can walk. While the first 4 WRs practice Zorns offense, the rooks and scout team play our D to get them ready. Kelly isn't even helping there. Honestly, before he does further damage, IR might be the best thing for all parties. He had his knee drained again twice last week. It doesn't develop fluid if things are right in there. Pushing it, like he seems to be doing, could ruin him. I want him to produce every bit as much as you. At some point you have to assess the situation and do what's best for the team. In this case, it may be best for Kelly too.

If the kid didn't have the ability, Zorn would have had Malcolm on the IR, probably weeks ago. He set school records at Oklahoma when he was healthy, he can do damage here in the redzone. Hell, put him out on the island and throw a fade to him, guaranteed hes coming down with it.

Sorry for believing in our players, how stupid of me.

Well said...yea sorry for not calling him a bust because a bust is someone who is drafted high *cough* Charles Rogers *cough* Mike Williams *cough*

Malcolm Kelly is a late 2nd round pick. He will be considered a bust in my mind when he is healthy and able to get on the field and not contribute and not be able to make plays, and I see that not happening. When he is healthy he will be a beast for us, especially in the red zone.

We even need a body in practice who can walk. While the first 4 WRs practice Zorns offense, the rooks and scout team play our D to get them ready. Kelly isn't even helping there. Honestly, before he does further damage, IR might be the best thing for all parties. He had his knee drained again twice last week. It doesn't develop fluid if things are right in there. Pushing it, like he seems to be doing, could ruin him. I want him to produce every bit as much as you. At some point you have to assess the situation and do what's best for the team. In this case, it may be best for Kelly too.

No problem with anything you said there.

:cheers:

The Redskins took a gamble and lost in my opinion. I was as high on Kelly as anyone, but this time, it appears as though the popular media was right and he's nothing more than a bust.

I totally agree, Malcom Kelly is as good as Kijana Carter the year after he blew his knee out. Or Terrell Davis.

Funny We still didn't do so bad in the draft Malcom to early, Horton too late, kinda of like a swap wash

Has JC thrown him a single pass yet?

yes. he had a reception for a first down in week 2.

admittedly i dont follow oklahoma football but i thought that he played every game last year for them. im leaning toward the ir argument. maybe he just needs to rest the knee and get it stronger for next year. moss is having a good year, randle el is finally playing like a #2 and thrash and thomas are serviceable as #3's. if we ever need 4 we can line up davis at tight end and have cooley line up out wide. i wish we had him out there though because that 6'4" frame would come in handy on those fade routes in the end zone but we are 4-2 without him even being on the field.

I am in the group of people who are not giving up on this kid yet. He has real potential if he is healthy. I dont want to put him on IR (because he would not be able to practice) and just want him to overcome the early wave of injuries he has. He had his knee drained twice last week, but that isnt always a serious thing.

My question is, he wasnt on the injury report for last week's game and was just inactive, so is he gonna practice this week and have a chance of playing??

I'm with ya' man on Kelly's potential. The ability he displayed in college was frightening, and by all accounts, he's shown it in practice too, hence why were playing the waiting game.

The more pertinent question is, how long can you afford to wait on him to get fully healthy, whilst he takes a roster slot up in a position were short of? It seem's every time he works the knee out, the swelling comes back in abundance. So if it's pure rest he needs, were in Week 7 this week already. That's a long time for someone not to of played bar the odd down.

I sure hope the Z-Man's calculated gamble pays off.

Hail.

I am actually excited...STILL....about our new WR duo. Devin has shown flashes of greatness and stupidity. More time and confidence he is going to be great. All I know from Kelly is NCAA and training camp. He shined in both. I have a feeling he will come on strong. Having those 2 guys along with Santana will be huge for us.

This board contradicts itsefl OVER AND OVER so much its ridiculous. Right after the draft, discussion started up about who would contribute more, talking about our 2 WRs and TE. And it was pretty much a general consensus that it was probably Fred Davis, IF ANY. They're reasoning was that "Rookie WRs RARELY have an impact their first year", as they're still getting used to how to play the game at this level.

And here we are, just after week 6, and many people around here are calling our guys busts. WTF???? You yourself said they wouldn't contribute their first year, but now their busts because they're not contributing?!?!?!?

You wanna know how many games Santana Moss played in his rookie season? 5. You wanna know how many passes he caught? 2, for 40 yards, neither were a td. Geez what a bust. Now the guy is drawing ****ing double teams against every team we face.

Now, for those who were able to attend this year's training camp, they will all say the same thing. Malcolm was arguably the most impressive WR at this year's training camp. The guy doesn't drop passes, he just doesn't. It takes a wrecking ball to get the ball away from him. Now he's hit an injury streak here in the early part of his rookie season, just like Santana did his rookie season. My bet is on seeing what the guy can do once he's healthy. I mean, ****, it worked out for Santana did it not?

Cracking post

He was the best receiver in training camp when healthy. An absolute beast.

Hopefully he can get healthy at some point, because I think the real bust in the making could be Thomas, who has no football instincts at all. But I hope I'm wrong.

I was high on Sweed and hoped the Skins drafted him. He was drafted by the Steelers and has yet to set foot in a game.

I really think Malcolm Kelly is the real deal and most of his critics have got to realize that Kelly is going through a gut check period in his career. I had knee surgery similar to what Kelly has gone through and my situation does not call on me to take the punishment that he is subjected to. He may never be 100%, but that's not to say he can't be a contributor on the offense.

Draining your knee is an indication that there is trauma in the knee cap. Removing the fluid helps the healing process.

If Kelly is put on IR, he may be finished as a player in the NFL. I sincerely hope he can find the inner strength to deal with a problem that will never be 100% again.

He was the best receiver in training camp when healthy. An absolute beast.

Hopefully he can get healthy at some point, because I think the real bust in the making could be Thomas, who has no football instincts at all. But I hope I'm wrong.

You have got to be kidding. Thomas is progressing, aside from the bone head errors of not knowing how to block in the NFL (sure he has learned by now), Thomas is going to be a very good target for JC.

The Redskins took a gamble and lost in my opinion. I was as high on Kelly as anyone, but this time, it appears as though the popular media was right and he's nothing more than a bust.

He hasn't even played, so, IMO, we can't label him a bust. If he never plays, then fine. But I'm reserving any final judgement until he actually gets on the playing field.

You have got to be kidding. Thomas is progressing, aside from the bone head errors of not knowing how to block in the NFL (sure he has learned by now), Thomas is going to be a very good target for JC.

Zorn and JC don't trust him to run the right routes. Right now, he's good for a fly pattern (where he hasn't been to get separation) and an occasional endaround or screen. And it's not like we don't need his help -- if he was up to the job, he'd be getting targeted left and right. Last week, he barely got on the field. Says a lot.

Of course, he was thought to be somewhat of a project when we drafted him so I admit labeling him a bust in the making was probably too strong.

And Kelly, by the way, was thought to be an injury risk. So Vinny's gambles haven't worked out that well so far. But it's early and at least Cinnci turned down our ridiculous two first rounders for Chad Johnson offer.

I think we need to IR Kelly and let the guy heal. I am excited by his potential as he seems to have great hands and I really think he could be a playmaker for us. Just let the guy heal, digest the playbook, and come back in the spring to show us what he has.

Archived