Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Malcolm Kelly...

SkinsAllDay34

But we are still talking about injuries, and that's where I'm confused.

The way I see it, for me to call a rookie a BUST, it would have to be based on POOR PERFORMANCE on a full season of games played, and not at all based on injuries, much less lack of playing time.

But again I want to know if I'm wrong in what I call a rookie bust.

It's just a diff of terms and what they mean to diff ppl.

Many ppl feel....If Kelly hadn't had knee issues in college...He might not be considered a bust because of his knees now.

Also ...If he had been a 7th rd pick...He wouldnt be talked about as a bust now.

Draft picks are a huge deal...and a 2nd rd pick is a huge deal.hese guys HAVE to contribute for a team to make it to the super bowl.

All this said...Kelly is NOT a bust(Yet) IMO

The way I see it, for me to call a rookie a BUST, it would have to be based on POOR PERFORMANCE on a full season of games played, and not at all based on injuries, much less lack of playing time.

We draft players solely for the purpose of having them contribute to a teams success. The only "out" for a player who can't help his team, no matter the cause, is death. Otherwise he is a bust.

It's too early to close the book on Kelly. But chapter one is really dragging out. Still hoping for a bestseller though.

I guess we are on a wait and see with Kelly for this week. Only thing I have found is he practiced all week and his knees are not swelling. I want him activated! But its a tough call, Thrash can be productive as a #3 WR. We dont know if Kelly can or not and were sitting at 4-2.....tough choice.

Interesting thread. I'm not sure why so many are willing to already label Kelly a bust. What is this? Some kind of 'negative feeding frenzy' launced since Brooks was released?

True, Kelly has been coping with his knee-injury, but it doesn't sound like the Skins have decided he's ready for the IR yet. Perhaps part of the reason for Kelly's been staying on the inactive list, is simply the Skins being very careful, or maybe it might even be a numbers game influencing the situation.

Okay, the Skins FO did gamble that Kelly's knee will eventually be able to heal up -- and he'll be able to contribute as a decent NFL receiver. He's already shown flashed signs of his talent. It would seem a very prudent course is to ensure that you give a young man sufficient time to heal. Ideally, however, you wouldn't want the guy on I.R.

That's because the Skins also want to ensure Kelly is also sufficiently developed for NFL competition for the day he steps onto the field as our #2 or #3 WR. And Kelly's time spent practicing with the team is an invaluable part of that development. After all, in practice, one can better manage any risk of reinjury, but also enhance Kelly's knowledge of the passing schemes.

But why rush Kelly into games, if you are still concerned his knee isn't ready for full NFL contact? Why risk reinjury when you already have 4 WRs already suited up, and your offense doesn't need to resort to a "4-Wide" formation that often. Why suit Kelly up, when maybe his roster spot could be better used elsewhere?

Do we need really Kelly on the field at this moment? Currently, we have a great running game, 4 WRs, a proven TE aerial threat in Cooley and another backup TE in Davis who reputedly has great hands. We've also got HBs (yes even Alexander!) who can catch the ball.

So, maybe Kelly's roster spot coulld better be used to help Blache staff his defensive line where we're constantly having to rotate folks in and out. Come to think of it, the secondary seems to be composed of modular parts too -- oftentimes Blache is having to keep Springs, Smoot, and Rogers on standbyto plug into the two slots for cornerback. Actually, there are a lot of places where he's needed to 'customize' personnel on defense -- at DBs, DT, DE, and OLB -- depending on the scenario. Blache probably appreciates being able to use the extra roster slot.

I'm still confident that Kelly will turn out to be a very good receiver for the Skins. I've noted that generally most WRs do take 2-3 years to 'blossom.' While Kelly's hands and precision route-running it was looking like 2 years, so maybe his knees may delay Kelly's arrival a bit. Time will tell.

But for now, the Skins have the luxury of 'going slow and steady'. They don't have to rush Kelly into the mix; rather they can simply give him valuable NFL training and practice. And after all, Devin Thomas is a raw but talented WR in the making -- who seems to needs all the field time he can get. So for now, why not let Devin have the time at #3 WR? As for the #3/#4 WR slots, Thrash is a steady savvy vet -- and a proven reliable receiver.

What happens if Kelly stays on the roster and has huge contributions late inthe season to help us get to the playoffs. Or if he goes on IR and next year he catches 7 td's and 800 yds?

Is everyone who is calling him a bust going to jump on the bandwagon? I hate fairweather fans, and there are so many.

People here defending Malcolm Kelly are taking this way too serious. Facts are facts, we spend a high draft pick on this kid and expected a lot from him. So far he has not contributed at all. Yes, I know, it's not his fault that he has knee problems, but also, how can you defend someone who hasn't contributed at all? Now, I'm not saying he is the worst player in the world, but I am saying so far he hasn't shown me anything, and for a highly regarded rookie, that says a lot.

To me, this is the most logical argument against Kelly right now...not that he's a bust or that he will be a bust, but that he hasn't been what we expected yet and has been injured a lot more than we'd like.

I thought Kelly would have had much more of an impact on the team by now while Thomas was still learning the ropes. And I also thought that Davis would see more action in the two TE sets. Neither has happened, and Thomas is actually the guy contributing the most of the three. I expect them all to turn around, and sure hope they will. But as of the moment I'm disappointed that they're not doing more.

It's just a diff of terms and what they mean to diff ppl.

Many ppl feel....If Kelly hadn't had knee issues in college...He might not be considered a bust because of his knees now.

Also ...If he had been a 7th rd pick...He wouldnt be talked about as a bust now.

Draft picks are a huge deal...and a 2nd rd pick is a huge deal.hese guys HAVE to contribute for a team to make it to the super bowl.

All this said...Kelly is NOT a bust(Yet) IMO

Now we are talking.

A response that actually makes sense.

So the fact that he is a second rounder and had already a history of injuries is what makes him a potential bust? I can actually take that as a good argument.

But now, please answer me this. Just for the purpose of the "BUST" definition discussion, let's just say that Malcolm doesn't play at all this year, either because of injury or not being ready for game action. And on the other hand, Devin plays in every game for the rest of the season, but just doesn't play good at all. So, come next season, who are we calling a bust out of the two? Malcolm, Devin or both?

The way I see it, it would have to be Devin, since he has had the chance to prove his potential and just didn't contribute as opposed to Malcolm not having a chance to show anything in a game.

Am I still wrong? I just don't see fair to bash a player because of him being injured.

To me, this is the most logical argument against Kelly right now...not that he's a bust or that he will be a bust, but that he hasn't been what we expected yet and has been injured a lot more than we'd like.

I thought Kelly would have had much more of an impact on the team by now while Thomas was still learning the ropes. And I also thought that Davis would see more action in the two TE sets. Neither has happened, and Thomas is actually the guy contributing the most of the three. I expect them all to turn around, and sure hope they will. But as of the moment I'm disappointed that they're not doing more.

The Skins starting receivers are: Moss, ARE and Cooley to think that the rookies are gonna waltz in and start competing for playing time is IMHO misguided. (It does surprise me that Devin hasn't been able to outperform Thrash for the as the number 3 receiver.) Kelly was drafted after Devin and Davis. I don't see how more can be expected from him. Thomas has 4 catches, Kelly and Davis both have 1 catch. Despite Kelly's much maligned knee issues, he isn't exactly being out performed by the other rookie pass catchers. Fred Davis plays the most, but doesn't get many passes thrown to him. Davis is often the 2nd TE in the Ace 2 TE Singleback formation, the Skins have mostly been running from this set so maybe his catches will come from playaction sooner or later.

:cheers:

The Skins starting receivers are: Moss, ARE and Cooley to think that the rookies are gonna waltz in and start competing for playing time is IMHO misguided. (It does surprise me that Devin hasn't been able to outperform Thrash for the as the number 3 receiver.) Kelly was drafted after Devin and Davis. I don't see how more can be expected from him. Thomas has 4 catches, Kelly and Davis both have 1 catch. Despite Kelly's much maligned knee issues, he isn't exactly being out performed by the other rookie pass catchers. Fred Davis plays the most, but doesn't get many passes thrown to him. Davis is often the 2nd TE in the Ace 2 TE Singleback formation, the Skins have mostly been running from this set so maybe his catches will come from playaction sooner or later.

:cheers:

hey, call it what you want. I'm just comparing what I considered modest expectations for the 3 this season. We were comparing the production of Thomas and Kelly to the production of McCardell and dude from NE last year. We were expecting that Thomas and Kelly would outperform the duo from last year.

Looking at that comparison again, I'm not so positive. I'm happy that our starters are doing well, but I didn't expect to be getting comments from Zorn that the rookies are "way behind schedule". I didn't expect him to be saying that Kelly is "running the wrong routes", etc. I kinda expected some of this from Thomas, but I still expected him to be a part of our deeper package. He hasn't.

I'm not labeling these guys busts. I'm not making any predictions on their careers. Just making a judgement on what I've seen so far and comparing it to my own expectations and those of fans I conversed with this summer in analyzing the draft. If you disagree, then so be it. If you think its misguided, then sorry you feel that way. :peace:

I was thinking about this possible outcome on draft day. Now, I like the Davis pick, even though we didnt really need him and he was the BPA on the board. But if we didnt need him, like we didnt need a smaller receiver, than what would of happened if we got jackson. He was taken 49th, we picked 48th and took davis. The future 3 of Jackson, Kelly and Thomas would have sounded really good. Just a thought.

**I AM NOT SAYING I WANTED JACKSON, and i always get mad when someone says we should have taken jackson over Thomas/Kelly because we didnt need another moss. But if we did take him and have thomas and kelly we would of had a good looking 3. Jackson would be the next sanatana moss for us after his best days are over. But we needed bigger receivers and have them now and they just need to get more involved and Kelly needs to get healthy because he will be a stud.

hey, call it what you want. I'm just comparing what I considered modest expectations for the 3 this season. We were comparing the production of Thomas and Kelly to the production of McCardell and dude from NE last year. We were expecting that Thomas and Kelly would outperform the duo from last year.

To be honest, they probably will. Combined, they had about 400 yards last year. Caldwell didn't even contribute until week 12.

It is a long season. By the end of it we should be seeing more of these guys.

Jason

This is the deal...

This is the NEW REDSKINS...The new Redskins take chances.

Kelly was taking a chance...We were hoping for a top 5 NFL guy at a 2nd rd price.He has shown incredible up side but has shown a history of knee trbl.Kelly was our 4th and 3yd play.

If he works out...We got a steal...If he doesn't...Well, We went for it.

Thomas made sense to me...I wonder a lil about Davis only cuz of our current TE's.

But...If cooley gets hurt...It will seem genius.

We actually drafted guys...THAT'S AN IMPROVMENT !

Most folks don't rate a teams draft until after a few years.We have done better and better and I expect the same next draft.

The entire team is improving...Bring me a jug of Kool-aid...Cuz I am drinkin up what the Skins are pouring !!

This is the deal...

This is the NEW REDSKINS...The new Redskins take chances.

Kelly was taking a chance...We were hoping for a top 5 NFL guy at a 2nd rd price.He has shown incredible up side but has shown a history of knee trbl.Kelly was our 4th and 3yd play.

If he works out...We got a steal...If he doesn't...Well, We went for it.

Thomas made sense to me...I wonder a lil about Davis only cuz of our current TE's.

But...If cooley gets hurt...It will seem genius.

We actually drafted guys...THAT'S AN IMPROVMENT !

Most folks don't rate a teams draft until after a few years.We have done better and better and I expect the same next draft.

The entire team is improving...Bring me a jug of Kool-aid...Cuz I am drinkin up what the Skins are pouring !!

HAHA I AGREE:cheers:I will drink to that!!!

Archived