Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Malcolm Kelly...

SkinsAllDay34

Another reason why Kelly isn't on IR yet is that once they do, he can't practice with the team. It means the aspect where he needs the most practice, running routes and getting his timing down with Campbell, is not going to happen for the rest of the year. If that happens, he could end up being behind going into next year as well. Even if he doesn't make much of an impact this year on the field, I'd like to see him on the roster practicing and getting himself ready to play rather than taking a seat for the season and have his twiddle his thumbs.

Right now, they have the luxury of being able to carry him on the roster and work through his physical problems. There may be a point where that doesn't make sense anymore, but we haven't gotten to that point yet.

Jason

But it's early and at least Cinnci turned down our ridiculous two first rounders for Chad Johnson offer.

Still wiping the sweat off my brow from that. What an idiotic attempt. It will be a long road to redemption in my eyes for the FO due to that. Horton appears to be just dumb luck, and the rest of the draft has proven to be completely worthless. So far.

Ocho's stats - 19 receptions for 216 yards. Long was 22. With 1 TD. For 2 firsts???

I can see reserving judgement on a few of the guys because of circumstances. But the entire draft? I'm not looking for starters yet or even a regular decent performance. But we got nothin at all from anybody except Horton. Nothing.

Still wiping the sweat off my brow from that. What an idiotic attempt. It will be a long road to redemption in my eyes for the FO due to that. Horton appears to be just dumb luck, and the rest of the draft has proven to be completely worthless. So far.

Ocho's stats - 19 receptions for 216 yards. Long was 22. With 1 TD. For 2 firsts???

I can see reserving judgement on a few of the guys because of circumstances. But the entire draft? I'm not looking for starters yet or even a regular decent performance. But we got nothin at all from anybody except Horton. Nothing.

It really is nuts. We spent three second picks on pass catchers and still don't have a big receiver for JC to look for in the red zone or on third down. He's throwing to midgets, which makes what he's doing all the more impressive.

Considering that the Cowboys gave up a 1st, 3rd and a 6th for a WR who hasn't proven anything other than he has potential, it isn't as bad of a deal as all that, particularly since the picks we did have aren't contributing much. Course people keep repeating the "2 1st round picks" mantra, forgetting the second pick was a conditional pick depending a lot on Ocho's performance and the team's performance. That is assuming that everything we heard was a serious offer or something designed to see how willing the Bengals were to trade Ocho.

Course, Carson Palmer has been pretty mediocre this year on a pretty bad Bengals team. Hard to project that over to how he'd do with us, particularly since you question how much effort he's putting out for a team he doesn't respect anymore.

And what did you expect to get? Just about every position we drafted were places where we had established starters. Also, I wouldn't say that we have gotten nothing out of the rest. Tryon has played in a game, Jackson has played in a game. Moore has been in a few games and has made some impressions on special teams. Somehow, I think you were expecting too much from some of these guys.

It really is nuts. We spent three second picks on pass catchers and still don't have a big receiver for JC to look for in the red zone or on third down. He's throwing to midgets, which makes what he's doing all the more impressive.

The whole "big receiver" thing is overrated. The team hasn't had too many problems scoreing in the end zone. It is more about chosing the right plays to get your receivers open than the size of the receivers.

Jason

This board contradicts itsefl OVER AND OVER so much its ridiculous. Right after the draft, discussion started up about who would contribute more, talking about our 2 WRs and TE. And it was pretty much a general consensus that it was probably Fred Davis, IF ANY. They're reasoning was that "Rookie WRs RARELY have an impact their first year", as they're still getting used to how to play the game at this level.

And here we are, just after week 6, and many people around here are calling our guys busts. WTF???? You yourself said they wouldn't contribute their first year, but now their busts because they're not contributing?!?!?!?

You wanna know how many games Santana Moss played in his rookie season? 5. You wanna know how many passes he caught? 2, for 40 yards, neither were a td. Geez what a bust. Now the guy is drawing ****ing double teams against every team we face.

Now, for those who were able to attend this year's training camp, they will all say the same thing. Malcolm was arguably the most impressive WR at this year's training camp. The guy doesn't drop passes, he just doesn't. It takes a wrecking ball to get the ball away from him. Now he's hit an injury streak here in the early part of his rookie season, just like Santana did his rookie season. My bet is on seeing what the guy can do once he's healthy. I mean, ****, it worked out for Santana did it not?

I went to a practice during training camp and would agree, M. Kelly looked like the most dominant receiver on the field. Big, tough, and never dropped a ball.

He didn't miss a game his last two years at OU. He'll be fine.

Zorn and JC don't trust him to run the right routes. Right now, he's good for a fly pattern (where he hasn't been to get separation) and an occasional endaround or screen. And it's not like we don't need his help -- if he was up to the job, he'd be getting targeted left and right. Last week, he barely got on the field. Says a lot.

Of course, he was thought to be somewhat of a project when we drafted him so I admit labeling him a bust in the making was probably too strong.

And Kelly, by the way, was thought to be an injury risk. So Vinny's gambles haven't worked out that well so far. But it's early and at least Cinnci turned down our ridiculous two first rounders for Chad Johnson offer.

I watched D. Thomas in the Rams game. All he ran was fly patterns. No separation.

I'm surprised we're not running more designed plays to get the ball in D. Thomas hands. A WR screen, quick slant, or reverse would be easy ways to get the ball in his hands. Let him try and make a play and generate some yac.

I watched D. Thomas in the Rams game. All he ran was fly patterns. No separation.

I'm surprised we're not running more designed plays to get the ball in D. Thomas hands. A WR screen, quick slant, or reverse would be easy ways to get the ball in his hands. Let him try and make a play and generate some yac.

Exactly what i have been saying, but one of the reasons for running fly patterns is to open the underneath routes for moss and randle el...so more of a decoy and not the first read. Also he has been getting open over the top on occasions according to Zorn.

Vinny -- I mean "The Longshot" -- always gives it his best, doesn't he?

I kid, I kid.

:silly:

But the "big receiver thing is overrated" was just classic. If that's true, then why have we been desperately trying to find one?

To the degree some here harp on it, I think they do overrate it. Size is good, but being able to get seperation is better. Considering how limited players are in being physical in the passing game, size doesn't gain you as much as speed. If you don't have at least some speed and seperation ability, it doesn't matter if you are big or not. You don't find too many big and slow WRs in the NFL, but you do find a good many small and fast WRs.

I don't agree with your philosophy of using the pukes as a model to build the Redskins. I look for results, and I said I didn't expect starters out of the draft. I did expect them to play some sort of football.

When is the last time Dallas won a playoff game again?

When have I used the Cowboys as a model to build the Redskins? Sure, I've pointed out some similarities, but there are also some big differences as well, and it is some of those differences that are starting to bring down the franchise.

But, in this case, I was just pointing out a trade and what Detroit's asking price was (rumor was that the Boys wanted to give two 2nds for him.) The Chad Johnson deal doesn't look too bad in comparison if you consider that you are getting a proven commodity. Granted, the age thing is a problem and I probably wouldn't have done the deal, but you'd have to agree that if we had gotten him, he certainly would be contributing to this team.

Jason

This board contradicts itsefl OVER AND OVER so much its ridiculous. Right after the draft, discussion started up about who would contribute more, talking about our 2 WRs and TE. And it was pretty much a general consensus that it was probably Fred Davis, IF ANY. They're reasoning was that "Rookie WRs RARELY have an impact their first year", as they're still getting used to how to play the game at this level.

And here we are, just after week 6, and many people around here are calling our guys busts. WTF???? You yourself said they wouldn't contribute their first year, but now their busts because they're not contributing?!?!?!?

You wanna know how many games Santana Moss played in his rookie season? 5. You wanna know how many passes he caught? 2, for 40 yards, neither were a td. Geez what a bust. Now the guy is drawing ****ing double teams against every team we face.

Now, for those who were able to attend this year's training camp, they will all say the same thing. Malcolm was arguably the most impressive WR at this year's training camp. The guy doesn't drop passes, he just doesn't. It takes a wrecking ball to get the ball away from him. Now he's hit an injury streak here in the early part of his rookie season, just like Santana did his rookie season. My bet is on seeing what the guy can do once he's healthy. I mean, ****, it worked out for Santana did it not?

Excellent point. I hope you're right.

But it's early and at least Cinnci turned down our ridiculous two first rounders for Chad Johnson offer.

I was just thinking about this last night when I got the news of the Williams trade (who the Cowgirls gave up WAY too much for)

I am so glad that Marvin Lewis decided that he didn't want to keep his job and enable us to make one of the biggest gaffes in NFL history.

2 First Rounders???!!!! Are you FREAKING kidding me?

When have I used the Cowboys as a model to build the Redskins? Sure, I've pointed out some similarities, but there are also some big differences as well, and it is some of those differences that are starting to bring down the franchise.

But, in this case, I was just pointing out a trade and what Detroit's asking price was (rumor was that the Boys wanted to give two 2nds for him.) The Chad Johnson deal doesn't look too bad in comparison if you consider that you are getting a proven commodity. Granted, the age thing is a problem and I probably wouldn't have done the deal, but you'd have to agree that if we had gotten him, he certainly would be contributing to this team.

Jason

I think this team is rising up against the pukes, not falling as you state. Not getting egotistical head cases is a prime factor in our team first attitude. If Ocho is capable, why isn't he producing? He must realize his value has dropped precipitately due to his lack of production and antics on and off the field.

As a matter of fact, we have not gone after anyone who wanted out of their team and demanded a trade except maybe Kendall, and the Jets were offering him peanuts. Nobody who actually contributed here anyway. That shows in the team we have so far. Blowing 2 first rounders on 85 would have been a mistake that would have cost us for half a decade.

I just wish the draft class, aside from Horton, was showing some kind of progression towards contributing. So far they haven't. Some can't even play.

The difference is we were loosing or hurting ourselves in games do to Brooks. If we were not, he would still be here.

I was excited when we got him do to his college play. Now we have another Ray Guy award winner with more experience. So things are truly looking up.

HTTR

The difference is we were loosing or hurting ourselves in games do to Brooks. If we were not, he would still be here.

I was excited when we got him do to his college play. Now we have another Ray Guy award winner with more experience. So things are truly looking up.

HTTR

Wrong thread bro.

The whole "big receiver" thing is overrated. The team hasn't had too many problems scoreing in the end zone. It is more about chosing the right plays to get your receivers open than the size of the receivers.

Jason

I don't know Jason, we still seem to be leaving alot of TD's off the board and attempting alot of FG's. I don't think the Big WR thing is a myth. You can tell, when JC gets into trouble sometimes, he tends to throw high and a taller WR could maybe snag a few of those. I know you don't run fades inside the 10 every time, but have we even tried it once this year? I'm all for ramming the ball in with CP as long as it works, but there will be games when you need a bigger target to "body up" a smaller DB.

Archived