Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Malcolm Kelly...

SkinsAllDay34

D. Thomas did get deep on AZ, but he sure didn't get any separation against the Rams. I watched him every time he got into the game. He ran step for step with a corner on every fly.

Granted, his deep routes may open things up underneath for El and Cooley, but I wish we would run designed plays to get him more involved in the offense. If he's having difficulties running routes, a WR screen seems a good way to get him involved. Stop, catch, and run. Or run him on a reverse. Let's see what he can do with the ball in his hands.

Yea that is why he was touted so highly come draft time. He was a prototypical West Coast WR. His RAC ability was really good and you saw some of it when he caught the screen against the eagles, he took it and got a good amount of yardage. Also reverses are a good way to get him involved. He had a long reverse against the cards, and you saw the Rams try to get their rookie, Avery the ball on those types of plays.

Exactly what I've been talking about.

:doh:

It doesn't matter if this guy is Art Monk and Jerry Rice rolled into one, if he can't get on the field,what good is he??

Right now, all I ever see or hear about Kelly is that he's awesome in practice.

You know who else was awesome in practice? Taylor Jacobs.

He was also another 1st round talent that somehow mysteriously slipped into round 2 and the Skins couldn't pass up on that kind of "value". :rolleyes:

How's he doing??

It doesn't matter if this guy is Art Monk and Jerry Rice rolled into one, if he can't get on the field,what good is he??

Right now, all I ever see or hear about Kelly is that he's awesome in practice.

You know who else was awesome in practice? Taylor Jacobs.

He was also another 1st round talent that somehow mysteriously slipped into round 2 and the Skins couldn't pass up on that kind of "value". :rolleyes:

How's he doing??

He should be on the field this Sunday.

I cannot believe you guys are already evaluating rookie talent within their first year. Let's be realistic here folks, you have to give each high end draft pick 3 years to determine if they are a bust or boom in skilled positions punters and kickers excluded. To say Kelley is a bust due to a bad knee is absurd. Thomas is still getting introduced to the NFL and so Thomas should be on watch for next year and especially in 2010. I expect Davis, Tryon, and Kelly to show some type of dividends in 2011 and then and only then will I consider them a bust.

I cannot believe you guys are already evaluating rookie talent within their first year. Let's be realistic here folks, you have to give each high end draft pick 3 years to determine if they are a bust or boom in skilled positions punters and kickers excluded. To say Kelley is a bust due to a bad knee is absurd. Thomas is still getting introduced to the NFL and so Thomas should be on watch for next year and especially in 2010. I expect Davis, Tryon, and Kelly to show some type of dividends in 2011 and then and only then will I consider them a bust.
Lol. The average NFL career is 3-1/2 years. Check the NFLPA. Some of you guys just make ship up as you go.

Zorn and JC don't trust him to run the right routes. Right now, he's good for a fly pattern (where he hasn't been to get separation) and an occasional endaround or screen. And it's not like we don't need his help -- if he was up to the job, he'd be getting targeted left and right. Last week, he barely got on the field. Says a lot.

Of course, he was thought to be somewhat of a project when we drafted him so I admit labeling him a bust in the making was probably too strong.

And Kelly, by the way, was thought to be an injury risk. So Vinny's gambles haven't worked out that well so far. But it's early and at least Cinnci turned down our ridiculous two first rounders for Chad Johnson offer.

Hey Hoops, you humor me with your "stop the world, I want to get off" attitude about a couple of ROOKIES. Zorn has said that he can see improvement with the rookies WRs and Davis. Coming from a college program to the pros is as different as night and day. Sure, some guys catch on fast (no pun intended) and prove the norm irrelevant while others need more time to get it together.

There's not a dire need for the rookies to catch up as the vets have with this new offense. Coach Zorn is letting these guys feel the speed of the game and letting them understand the tempo of the game.

Give these guys a chance to excel at their trade before you write them off as failures. And how do you know that Kelly is injury prone? Did you hear that on ESPN? I bet Chad Johnson is your answer to everything that is football related.

The comeback route was nice -- I was at the game and couldn't believe it.

But I have watched him very closely and he has had a very hard time getting separation on fly routes. He looks like a bigger, somehow slower, and younger version of Thrash on those.

I'm not saying he has no chance of turning into a decent player. Like Zorn, I've just been very disappointed from what I've seen so far.

And the penalties are not the only reason Zorn doesn't trust him -- Zorn has basically said the kid came in unprepared and still doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

Hoops you have this canny ability to turn things around to make a soundless argument.

Speed is what Thomas is all about, along with his ability to make yards after the catch.

Coach Zorn questioned Devin and Malcolm about their respective physical conditioning needed at this level. Not that poppy crap you are alluding to about Devin's intelligence.

Ok ive been thinkin...we have been comparing Santana's rookie year to Malcolms situation.

Also the upcoming opponent has a WR, B. Edwards, who was thought to be a bust after his first year. Now he is in the pro bowl. Let alone he was 3rd overall draft pick, Kelly was 51st and Devin was 34th.

Also with Devin, the fact that people on here want him to produce right away. He was raw already and still has a ways to go. He will be special, a couple years from now we will see it. You cant expect Randy Moss rookie production.

Can somebody give me a list of High receivers taken in recent years and their stats over the first 3 or 4 years??? I would just be curious to see it.

Let's narrow it further: High receivers with a known chronic knee condition .

Well I was speaking for Devin too...but what you said is true but Vinny just said on Redskins nation that they knew about it and Kelly fought through it in college and it basically stabilized from that. Now it has come up again, due to the arthoscopic surgery he had in TC. But, they say it has not swollen up this week and it will probably stabilize again.

Lol. The average NFL career is 3-1/2 years. Check the NFLPA. Some of you guys just make ship up as you go.

Please, for the bums who do not belong in the NFL have a 3 and a half year career fellow. By the way every gm, sports analyst, and etc all state the same time frame as mentioned above. This is not hypothetical information my friend these are facts.

Please, for the bums who do not belong in the NFL have a 3 and a half year career fellow. By the way every gm, sports analyst, and etc all state the same time frame as mentioned above. This is not hypothetical information my friend these are facts.
No they don't. It's you making up stuff again. Some teams may wait for a QB. Some other guys may just be a little slow. Almost all players show a progression towards competent play. That's what I want to see from our rookie WRs. At least something. Their competition is ARE and Thrash. Still waiting.

Well anyone that took a chance on a WR with a degenerative knee condition seems a bit dumb to me, especially when there was other WR's out there available that are paying dividends, Mario Manningham and Jordy Nelson to name a few. I am very happy with the over all draft this past April but taking Kelly still makes no sense to me. I may not have the football acuman as Vinny however I do have common sense and for me it was a no brainor to stay away from a WR with a bed knee and slow 40 times.

No they don't. It's you making up stuff again. Some teams may wait for a QB. Some other guys may just be a little slow. Almost all players show a progression towards competent play. That's what I want to see from our rookie WRs. At least something. Their competition is ARE and Thrash. Still waiting.

Just because they aren't hitting the field doesn't mean they aren't progressing. I mean, we didn't see much of Rocky when he was a rookie either, but he has progressed and now he's a pretty good LB.

People have wild expectations for rookies that their talent should eclipse other players who have been in the league for years. They forget that there is a reason why they have been in the NFL for years.

Jason

Archived