Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: What Can Brawn Do for You? (Jansen Article)

SkinsMaster88

It's hard to imagine the "we" in Zorn's statement would include Bugel, who hashes out the run game along with newcomers Sherman Smith, the offensive coordinator, and Stump Mitchell, the running backs coach. Bugel's belief in Jansen is long established. The old-school line coach may be Zorn's antithesis on many levels, but they get along well, and Zorn's authority is not in dispute.

"It's hard to imagine?"

Let me repeat what a beat reporter just wrote:

"It's hard to imagine?"

Well, if you were truly an "insider" you wouldn't have to "imagine" anything, you could just go up and ask somebody. But since you are a miserable lout who couldn't get a quote from the janitor at Redskins Park, you are left to "imagine" things instead of reporting facts.

This guy blows.

As far as the JJ vs. SH, in Zorn I trust. He's going to make a decision that he thinks is best for the team, with input from Bugel. That's all.

Get over it, Jon. The person you should really be mad at is yourself, for the pitiful performance you put on in the preseason. You were going to get JC killed at the rate you were going. Try to get past your enormous ego to think about what's best for the team.

Anybody that watched you early on could see you were not ready to play. How do you think the guy YOU replaced felt back in the day?

He really needs to get over it, and this needs to stiop being written and talked about. The last thing we need right now is distractions.

Of course, we are talking about the same douchebag writer who came out with that scathing Arrington article the week before our playoff game. Par for the prick course.

I don't think anybody would dispute that he's a class act and a fan favorite.

As to who's better for the job, I'm going to defer to Zorn and Bugel, because they know more about football than I do. :)

Same here!

Especially considering Jansen matches up with a tough speed-rusher this weekend (Little) and the article essentially states that what he gives us in run blocking, he does NOT give us in pass protection (relatively speaking).

Get over it, Jon. The person you should really be mad at is yourself, for the pitiful performance you put on in the preseason. You were going to get JC killed at the rate you were going. Try to get past your enormous ego to think about what's best for the team.

Anybody that watched you early on could see you were not ready to play. How do you think the guy YOU replaced felt back in the day?

He really needs to get over it, and this needs to stiop being written and talked about. The last thing we need right now is distractions.

I get the feeling that Jansen is the type of player who'll never admit that he's not in his prime anymore.

I get the feeling that Jansen is the type of player who'll never admit that he's not in his prime anymore.

Do you find that unusual in elite athletes in any sport? To me, a major league athlete who readily admits he's lost it is a rarity. Mostly they are so competitive by nature they go kicking and screaming when their time is up.

"I think we were all surprised. It would have been one thing if it was a known competition all the way through camp, but everybody thought it was a done deal, that Jon would be our right tackle.

I don't know where Rabach gets off ASSUMING that Jansen was going to be the RT, especially since he was abused in the pre-season. I mean it's Jon Jansen...he isn't an all-pro, he isn't a pro bowl caliber player...the only thing that he has going for him is his tenure. There has been a steady decline in his performance. Dude was ripped here on ES and as well in the media. You mean to tell me that Jansen had NO idea that his job was on the line? C'mon now. On top of it all, as much as people are going at Zorn, shouldn't Buges have let him know as well? I'm not really buying what I'm hearing because we are only hearing essentially one-side of the story. Maybe this has more to do with a hurt ego, rather than the truth...anyways, I know that's Rabach's boy and all, but Heyer did nothing to lose his job. The fact that Jansen really needed a kick in the butt to play at a higher level, doesn't make up for his diminished skills. Heyer has done nothing to lose his position. It's a good problem to have considering that Jansen has played well in Heyer's place.

I thought the original reason for benching John was because coach Z did not think he was fully recovered from his injuries. I remember Zorn saying on Redskins Radio that John wasnt moving as well, and he went on to say John doesnt want to make excuses but he's not 100 percent.

Be that as it may, if John lost out to Heyer on performance then Heyer should start. Heyers injury would be looked at as punishment if he was benched.

If John was replaced because Zorn thought he was simply not up to par, then John has proven in the past 2 games that he's back and he should stay in the starting lineup.

Heyer still has a learning curve. I still dont think he's the answer either.

Rabach and Jansen might have been surprised by the switch, but I know a lot of us weren't. Jansen looked awful in preseason, as he did last year before he went down. He looks like he did very little physical conditioning when he was injured.

What was a little surprising was how well he did against the pukes and iggles. I knew he'd be fired up, but I thought he would struggle in pass protection. I did see him get pushed straight back towards Campbell on a few plays in the iggles game, but Campbell got rid of the ball in time.

I guess my question would be, does anyone know how much help Zorn gave Jansen? I know that they have had a lot of the backs stay in and block. Maybe he wants those backs out in the patterns and feels he can't with Jansen at tackle. Thats just a guess on my part, but Zorn seems like a pretty sharp guy. I think he'll go with whomever he thinks will make his offense run smoother.

I do think Jansen played really well in the past two games, and may have won his job back, but Zorn is correct. Jansen is not as good in pass protection as Heyer. In fact, our one sack against the Eagles was a completely blown block(I cant figure out what he was thinking) by Jansen. The DT was double teamed, and Jansen had one player to block. Instead of blocking him, he elected to then TRIPLE team the DT, leaving the defender with a free shot on JC.

Part of protecting the QB though is having a successful run game, that forces the defense to be more careful.

I think we should rest Heyer another week and see what Jon can do. Next week we will know more about Jon. Also there is no rule that they can not rotate between Jansen and Heyer during a game, knowing Zorn there could be some trickery involved with the rotations. Look guys (Defense) they put Jansen in they are going to run Portis to the right... Nope bomb to Moss TD :point2sky

It's not like Zorn has some vendetta against Jansen or something. Jon got pushed back on most passing plays against Dallas and Philly -- this didn't lead to sacks but it couldn't have made JC comfortable.

At the end of the day, the competition is good for everybody.

He is more aggressive in his drive blocking, opening lanes on the outside. Portis averaged 2.8 yards per carry to the right side in the opening three games, with just two carries of five yards or more, and four rushes for zero or negative yardage.

In two games with Jansen, Portis has averaged 5.1 yards per carry to the right side (15 carries for 76 yards), with nine runs of five yards or more and one for zero yards or less.

This just shows you what we lost last year when we lost Jansen AND Randy so early. Now they are back and more importantly MOTIVATED to get it done and we reap the benefits. Ill take this Jansen anyday on my team

I think the fact that he's an O lineman makes this whole situation harder. I mean, Reed doesn't start anymore, but he still plays a lot because sometimes we have 3 safeties, plus he has special teams. And, Betts doesn't start, but he plays a fair amount. The thing is that there aren't regular substitutions on the O line, and we don't play sometimes with 6, so if he doesn't start, he probably doesn't see the field unless someone gets hurt. Not being able to contribute must hurt when the team is winning so much. I feel badly for Jon, who worked hard in the difficult years. I want him to enjoy the good years, too.

i'm wondering if Jansen didnt get a little comfortable and putting Heyer in kinda sparked a new fire under his tail end to be even better. This team has a new mentality. It's not thinking about "getting it done." It's thinking "lets do this better then we ever have before"

Archived