Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Practice Squad Set + Heyer to Start on Thursday

SantanaClaus89

It's not shocking that Jansen lost his job. He was abused in just about every preseason game he played in this year. What makes it worse is that he wasn't on the field that long. At this point in their careers, Jansen and Heyer may be on the same level. Jansen seems to be on a downward spiral but there is hope that Heyer will get better.

Heyer himseld said he's not sure whether or not he's got the job permanently or if it's because of Jansen's injury... let's not get carried away. What I'm hoping this does is light a fire under Jansens rear and get him going. I felt like he was real comfortable every time he spoke to the media.

he may have been comfortable in front of the media, but that doesn't say a lick about his play on the field

I am surprised by this move. This is a big step away from Gibbs 2.0 IMO. Jansen would have started, and Heyer would have had to unseat him during the season. Zorn has a more aggressive attitude, and is very upfront about things, which IMO is why this move was made without hesitation. This is one of the benefits of a new head coach, he doesn't have the attachment to certain vets that Gibbs and Co. did.

Don't discount Jansen though, and don't expect Heyer to be wonder boy back there immediately. The team is basically swapping experience for potential with this move, and while an argument can be made for either, this move gets a young guy front and center now, extends the shelf-life of a career Skin with a great team attitude, and actually does provide us with better depth. Jansen playing less will keep him healthy, and he can line up at tackle or center, heck maybe even guard. I like Jansen and I feel fans lately give him too raw of a deal, but I appluad this move. Heyer obviously showed a lot in practice, so it's good he is rewarded.

For me Heyer starting is the right move. Jansen is probably th ebetter run blocker with Heyer being better in pass protection. Difference is Jansen is clearly on the slippery down slope and Heyer has shown loads of potential and will only get better with the playing experience.

Right now its a wash - by the year end Heyer will be clearly better in my opinion and with luck should be a starter for 10 years which is great for an undrafted free agent.

Re the practice squad very surprised to see Broughton and Ecker make the practice squad.

I would not expect this to mean Heyer is now the starting RT. He is merely starting this game because Jansen is not 100%. Will he eventually take over that spot? Hopefully. But I wouldnt expect it just yet(unless Heyer plays lights out and Jansen plays really poorly).

I would not expect this to mean Heyer is now the starting RT. He is merely starting this game because Jansen is not 100%. Will he eventually take over that spot? Hopefully. But I wouldnt expect it just yet(unless Heyer plays lights out and Jansen plays really poorly).

If Heyer plays well Jansen won't get a chance to play again unless Heyer gets hurt. They haven't told Heyer he is the starter because he still needs to prove that he belongs. If he does he will become the starter.

I am surprised by this move. This is a big step away from Gibbs 2.0 IMO. Jansen would have started, and Heyer would have had to unseat him during the season. Zorn has a more aggressive attitude, and is very upfront about things, which IMO is why this move was made without hesitation. This is one of the benefits of a new head coach, he doesn't have the attachment to certain vets that Gibbs and Co. did.

I don't know if I agree with you. Given a similar situation where the projected starter stunk it up all preseason (Ramsey vs Brunell), he also replaced the starter with his backup. Considering the progress of Heyer and the non-progress for Jansen, I think the same decision would have been made.

Remember, while the head coach is new, Buges is still back there coaching the O-Line, and he has lots of attachment to Jansen.

Jason

I don't know if I agree with you. Given a similar situation where the projected starter stunk it up all preseason (Ramsey vs Brunell), he also replaced the starter with his backup. Considering the progress of Heyer and the non-progress for Jansen, I think the same decision would have been made.

Remember, while the head coach is new, Buges is still back there coaching the O-Line, and he has lots of attachment to Jansen.

Jason

Very true. I just get the impression that is what would have happened, as I don't remember a lot of young guys unseating veterans at the start of the season, but rather during it. Buges does have allegience to Jansen, but he also personally got Heyer, developed him, and he isn't the head coach. It is just an impression/specualtion on my part and I won't try to pass it off as anything else.

It's Heyer's job for now and not temporary.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?p=5473038#post5473038

"Jansen said his ankle -- injured in the Carolina preseason game -- is healthy."

"Coach Jim Zorn said after practice the move isn't just a one-week thing."

I think this is the right move. Jansen still doesn't seem to be all the way back, and I"m not sure if he ever will be.

And I'm glad they brought back Matteral for the PS, I think he's got some talent.

Well his new $10,000,000 contract he recently got will make him and the team feel a whole lot better. Every team needs a man willing to take $10,000,000 to back up an undrafted free agent. The Redskins know how to spend money wisely. That

is how successful teams do it.

Here's an interesting blog from Rich Tandler about Jansen.

http://realredskins.com/search?updated-max=2008-08-30T16%3A21%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=5

Should Heyer earn the starting job one would have to wonder if Jansen would even make the team. If you're going for youth, why not go all the way? Jansen signed a five-year, $23 million contract extension before the '07 season. Why keep an expensive 32-year-old veteran around when you could use his roster spot for a less-costly youngster?

The cost of cutting him would be high, but not prohibitively so. He has about $6 million in unallocated bonus money from 2009-2011. Subtract his scheduled '09 salary of about $1.3 million and you'd have a $4.7 million dead cap hit for 2009. Against a cap of about $120 million, that's certainly doable.

While it's possible, releasing Jansen may not be such a good idea. His 2008 salary is just $730,000 and considering that his potential replacement would also cost at least $300,000, resulting in a savings of just over $400K.

Archived