Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the NBA losing stars to Europe?

sly

I'll believe it when I see it.

Legal monetary incentives are nice, but try to convince LeBron that he won't make more money, overall, playing for an American team than some team in Brussells. Really. I'd love to see the argument.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Legal monetary incentives are nice, but try to convince LeBron that he won't make more money, overall, playing for an American team than some team in Brussells. Really. I'd love to see the argument.

That IS true (well, when you consider endorsements anyway).

No, I didn't. I consider it about as credible as the rumors that Steve Smith could be a Redskin in the next few days.

Possible, probably not.

I wouldn't call it NOT credible though.

The LeBron, thing.

Hadn't heard about Steve Smith. I dare not venture into the Stadium much anymore. Shame.

Don't worry. Nike will have something to say about this.

You mean like "Please go to Europe so we can sell more basketball shoes and gear in a market we don't dominate?"

Keep in mind the reason David Beckham is here is for that very reason. Nike stands to gain a lot from Lebron going to europe than you seem to think. They already have a strong hold here in the states.

There goes the continent. :silly:

A Russian hockey team tried this recently with Malkin but the International Ice Hockey Federation stepped in and said current contracts need to be honored. There are players going over there when they're contracts are up here though.

Any star in the NBA who'd play over there is a chump. You already have plenty of money that you'll never spend all of. Now you're supposed to want to win an NBA championship ring. If LeBron did that he'd be looked down on.

by americans. i doubt europeans would look down on him for playing in europe.

I'd like to see basketball become global like soccer is. If the European leagues start fielding great teams themselves we could have a UEFA style tournament with Euro and NBA teams. Shorten the NBA regular season and add European games and tournaments.

Olympiakos vs. Lakers

Barcelona vs. Celtics

It would be good for the game.

Any star in the NBA who'd play over there is a chump. You already have plenty of money that you'll never spend all of. Now you're supposed to want to win an NBA championship ring. If LeBron did that he'd be looked down on.

what if they already have a ring?

i could see someone like Chauncey Billups or Rip Hamilton going overseas if the dollars were right.

Shorten the NBA regular season and add European games and tournaments.

Olympiakos vs. Lakers

Barcelona vs. Celtics

It would be good for the game.

So you'd like to see the NBA become a bunch of little tournaments every year?

Makes my head spin.

Makes my head spin.

Just follow the European model. Have a regular season ( league title) and a champions league type format ( world title). It's pretty awesome.

If Lebron wants to truly become the first billionaire athlete ( though Schumacher may have been the first- he accomplished that while have no presence in this country), this is the type of move he should make.

Makes my head spin.

Not at all. Just shorten the season by a third, and play in Euro tourneys during summer/earl fall.

Something needs to make the NBA more interesting. Global competition might do it. Look at what it took to get the national team to care about winning the Olympics. The result will be better basketball.

Archived