Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DL: Redskins front 4

Fan4life

IMO, this is as close to Manley and Mann combo that we've had since then.

I agree, and the line as a whole is going to be the best we've had since then. If Griff can play lcloser to how he did in 04, or if Golsten can step it up a notch, this line will be basically unstopable. People forget that Taylor is also actually good against the run as well, even at his weight. He gets very good leverage and and is very strong and can hold the point of attack, and has the quickness to shed blocks. He had twice the tackles that Daneils had last year. I think he's going to be energized coming here. In Miami, he knew the team was going nowhere and was terrible. Coming here, we're off a playoff season and we have a real chance to compete for the post season this year.

I think that we just went from a 16th ranked passing defense to possible top 5, and if we play about the same as we did last year against the run....

We might have the best unit in the NFL.

I can tell you this, The Giants, Eagles and Cowboys are saying Oh ****, the 'Skins game just got really scary.

It will be so nice to have a true pass rush now.

I hope Blache is salivating as he ponders all the creative things he can do with the line now. We could definitely see more of the exotic blitzes that were popular during the first two years of Gregg Williams' tenure. Corner blitzes, zone blitzes, all out blitzes. I am excited.

And Jason Taylor is such a versatile player. We could put him on the line and watch him terrorize opposing QB's, or we could have him line up and then drop back into coverage where he can pick one off for six. The guy has 117 sacks, 7 INTs, 3 TDs, and 2 safeties. I, for one, can't wait to see him get his first sack as a Redskin. A confused, frantic, and frustrated Eli Manning is always my favorite one to watch.

Taylor also gives Erasmus James the chance to properly heal up to make a better contribution this year. If Taylor indeed leaves after one year, James will be battle tested and ready to unleash hell in 09.

The push around the ends will be something few QBs have seen from the skins for years. The DTs and London should have a good year killing the middle.

They will have some good depth and can move things around.

I really like this move...not sure why it's so polarizing.

You know, I totally forgot about Erasmus James. Taylor does take the pressure off of James to get healthy quickly - he now has a chance to heal completely before going at it 100%.

As the season unfolds, the DL could look like this...

Taylor and Carter on the ends with relief from James, Evans, and Wilson. Montgomery and Griffin in the middle with relief from Golston. Quality starters and quality depth. Amazing what this one trade did for the DL.

One other thing - a decent DT for more depth could be added when other teams trim their rosters.

With this one trade, the Redskins went from being questionable on the DL to very good. Carter and Taylor on the ends with Wilson and Evans providing relief. Montgomery and Griffin with Golston providing relief.

As a result, next year's draft can be dedicated to an elite CB and the OL.

i dont know if i would avoid grabbing a DE next year in the draft. yeah, we have taylor, but he is good for maybe 2 years? and james, the question is IF he will be able to come back and play at the level he did in college and as a rookie. if he cant get back to that, i dont see him being a fixture here. that would mean we would still be in the market for a DE to replace taylor.

The acquisition of Taylor is going to do wonders for our push up the middle. Other teams are now going to have to focus on two ends instead of just one and that is going to leave a lot of single blockers on our DTs.
Our CB's should (should) instantly be better also.

We should also be able to do a lot more as far as blitzing.

I'm looking at 15 sacks for Taylor, 11 for Carter, and Marcus to approach 10. With the best secondary in the league, the single-season sack record (72 by the '85 Bears) is in serious trouble.

Easy big fella. That would mean that Jason Taylor is adding 40 sacks to this defense. Might be a slight stretch on your part. The 3 above account for 36, where are the other 36 coming from?

He will add to the sack total, I'll agree with that

You know, I totally forgot about Erasmus James. Taylor does take the pressure off of James to get healthy quickly - he now has a chance to heal completely before going at it 100%.

As the season unfolds, the DL could look like this...

Taylor and Carter on the ends with relief from James, Evans, and Wilson. Montgomery and Griffin in the middle with relief from Golston. Quality starters and quality depth. Amazing what this one trade did for the DL.

One other thing - a decent DT for more depth could be added when other teams trim their rosters.

:cheers: Great minds think alike. James can be groomed for 2009 if Taylor heads out to Hollyweird to star in straight to video action flics. The skins could use their 09 picks for more D-line help. I see London making the Pro Bowl and having a huge year... the ends will force the action to the middle, and the DTs and London will be able to key off on them.

Amazing how one of our most publicized weaknesses became a strength that quickly. Now we have 2 ends to rush the passer, and 2 DTs to eat up blocks and stop the run game. And our LBs are good enough and we have safeties that support the run game enough to make up for Carter and Taylor being a bit slight in the run game. Amazing how one move can have a domino affect.

This is exciting. I'm really hoping that Griffin can stay healthy, because he can certainly rush the passer and could get 6-8 sacks up the middle this season if both Carter and Taylor stay healthy and play up to their potential.

Although the addition of Taylor is a somewhat short-term fix, I really feel as though his leadership and being able to mentor a guy like Wilson will also pay dividends.

It really is a great trade, I hope it all works out okay!

1st down standard set. Taylor / Griffin / Monty / Carter

3rd and long set: Taylor / Griffin / Golston / Carter

Heavy D-line set: Evans or Taylor / Monty / Golston / Carter or Evans

Hell one package i'd like to see is Taylor/ James / Monty / Carter to see how quick they could get to the QB :D

JT is sick defending against the screen pass....I can't wait to see the Eagles try and hit B.Westbrook out in the flat 1 million times against us this year again.

Very good point. With JT's ability to sniff out screens, and the quickness to get to check down receivers if they dance instead of getting upfield immediately, I have a hard time believing the Iggles will be able to much of anything against us offensively. They seem to be more of a dink and dunk attack than a vertical one, especially with those screens and flat passes.

Defensively, if (I know it's a big one) Smoot and Springs can stay healthy, with Doughty up in the box to help run support and LL roaming at centerfield, DAMN!! We have the potential to be very very tough for anybody to move the ball against us.

• 5 months later...
Haha good bump. It was fun in a kinda sick way to read through what everyone (including me) thought would come from the Taylor trade.

Yeah, I was wondering if I had said something monumentally stupid :D

If we get Hanyesworth and Blache cuts Carter and JT loose allowing them to play like they're capable, then this line really could be something special.

I do hope Redskins One is spotted in Tennessee come March :applause:

Archived