Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last Year for Sonny, Sam, Larry?

I don't hate Larry as a person--I'm sure he's a nice enough guy. I have no idea because I've never met him. But to me his voice is just downright unpleasant to listen to and I don't find him entertaining, interesting or engaging.

When I hear radio play-by-play voices like Merrill Reese in football or Jon Miller in baseball, I get jealous and wonder how we got stuck with Larry.

EDIT: And yes, I think Patrick, Riggo and Theismann would be a great team. I love Sonny and Sam, but they can't do it forever unfortunately.

I have better sources who tell me that Larry is staying and the new color guys are actually going to be Jeff George and Skip Hicks :D

Seriously, I like the announced new lineup. We're all used to Mike P and Joey T on the old ESPN Sunday night broadcasts and both seemed to bring an energy to the booth. And Riggo's irreverence would be a good contrast.

Its not a surprise that Sonny and Sam are getting moved, as both are getting up there. However, although I welcome the move, its surprising that Larry would be replaced. Was Snyder getting too much negative feedback on him?

Bite your tongue! Theeeeesman, for all his faults, is about 100000000x better than that waste of radiowaves Larry.

Theismann is okay about half the time, but the other half he suffers from what can only be referred to as "verbal diarrhea."

Yes, he'd be better than Larry Michael. But so would a potato.

I have better sources who tell me that Larry is staying and the new color guys are actually going to be Jeff George and Skip Hicks :D

Seriously, I like the announced new lineup. We're all used to Mike P and Joey T on the old ESPN Sunday night broadcasts and both seemed to bring an energy to the booth. And Riggo's irreverence would be a good contrast.

Its not a surprise that Sonny and Sam are getting moved, as both are getting up there. However, although I welcome the move, its surprising that Larry would be replaced. Was Snyder getting too much negative feedback on him?

Snyder care about negative feedback??

:laugh:

They should keep Sonny and you can add other new voices with him. Ditch Huff.

Sonny knows the plays and has great insights you won't get with anyone else. Riggins has improved the last few years. Sonny is an institution and very hard to replace. The postgame show does need improvement.

As much as I like Theismann and Riggo, I can't even begin to imagine a broadcast team that didn't include Sonny and Sam...expecially Sonny. I'm biased, I know, but that's one of the things I like about Sonny & Sam, they're unabashedly biased and crotchety.

I hear ya man. I grew up with Frank, Sonny and Sam.

I just wish they would ditch the 5 second delay so that I can mute the geeks calling the game on TV. It just doesn't work though when Sonny and Sam are piping in well after the play is over.

Oh, the good ole days.

Hail

I hear ya man. I grew up with Frank, Sonny and Sam.

I just wish they would ditch the 5 second delay so that I can mute the geeks calling the game on TV. It just doesn't work though when Sonny and Sam are piping in well after the play is over.

Oh, the good ole days.

Hail

No kidding. That is the ONLY way to watch a televised Redskin game. The delay screws it up and THAT messes with my Redskin chi. :peace1:

Id mute the the TV and listen, but on radio, you cant hear the sound of the game.

So with the TV muted and radio on, it seems like a tennis match or something. I wish there was a way you could mute the TV announcers and just have the sound of the game.

Id mute the the TV and listen, but on radio, you cant hear the sound of the game.

So with the TV muted and radio on, it seems like a tennis match or something. I wish there was a way you could mute the TV announcers and just have the sound of the game.

Hmmm, while it's not the same as crowd noise on television(several broadcast mikes down on the field and in the stands, in addition to the booth), you should be able to pick up crowd reaction/noise on radio broadcasts(usually just broadcast mikes in the booth and on sideline reporters). As for the hittin' and cussin' on the field, again, you can pick up some on radio, not all.

I don't know. It's just that I'd rather watch the action and have it called by Sonny and Sam. For me, it's kind of like the equivalent to the Saturday Night Live skit where you're sitting around the table at the bar in Chicago with all Da Bears and Ditka fans...only it's Sonny and Sam.

i agree whole heartedly with cheif skin, sam, sonny, and frank were great. larry hasthe voice but no personality. he's terrible as well as being a company man.i always looked forward to listening to frank, sonny and sam but with larry in their it's not working. larry needs to go and either bring back frank or riggo or doc or all three in some capasity.

I just hope they can somehow fix the delay from the radio and the actual game. or maybe I should just pause the tv for 10 seconds and resume play.. hm ill have to try that now that I have tivo
Check out http://delayplayradio.com/

I'd like this new lineup. While I don't hate Larry, he's not my favorite, and Mike (not Dan) Patrick would be a big improvement. I always liked JT as a color person and I think Riggo would work well.

I love Sonny and Sam, but their best days are FAR behind them. It's time for them to fade into the sunset. I wish they'd realize that themselves and decide to hang it up without the need to drop them.

Check out http://delayplayradio.com/

I'd like this new lineup. While I don't hate Larry, he's not my favorite, and Mike (not Dan) Patrick would be a big improvement. I always liked JT as a color person and I think Riggo would work well.

I love Sonny and Sam, but their best days are FAR behind them. It's time for them to fade into the sunset. I wish they'd realize that themselves and decide to hang it up without the need to drop them.

While I respectfully disagree with your view on Sonny & Sam, the tip and subsequent link to Delay Play is AWESOME!!! You rock, dude! Thanks! :applause:

Well, when the inevitable happens and they have to replace Sonny and Sam, let Larry go with them.

Mike Patrick, Joe T., and Riggo would be the perfect lineup. Patrick is very solid as a play by play guy. I'm almost certain he's done some Redskins preseason TV in the past, right? And Riggo would be the perfect foil for Theisman. He would be able to pop Joe's bubble when he gets a little too full of himself, providing a few well-timed :wtf: :wtf: 's when Joe lapses into his football-babble.

No kidding. That is the ONLY way to watch a televised Redskin game. The delay screws it up and THAT messes with my Redskin chi. :peace1:

I argree completely about the delay issue. And while the Replayradio thingamajig that someone linked to looks promising, I have an idea that I hope someone with some power over these things will read here and follow up on:

Red Zebra will be broadcasting the Skins on a number of radio frequencies in the DC area -- so why not have different delays on different frequencies so listeners can choose which one fits the action on their TV? Would this work? Just a thought. I think the vast majority of people who want to listen to the radio broadcast want to do so precisely so they can turn their TV sound down.

Archived