Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Coach Zorn not resting on his laurels (M.E.T.)

Thinking Skins

Not resting on his laurels

New Redskins coach takes passion for action to limit: Zorn 'likes living on edge'

David Elfin THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Jim Zorn never just takes it easy.

While one of his NFL coaching compatriots was drawing plays in the sand on his summer vacation, Zorn was racing downhill on a mountain bike in British Columbia.

While another was sipping wine on Nantucket, Zorn, the first-year coach of the Washington Redskins, was running furiously up a vertical slope near the family house outside of Seattle.

Most NFL coaches just relax during their few weeks of downtime in the offseason. They put in notoriously long hours during the season and work under intense pressure. They've earned the chance to simply do nothing.

But Zorn can't just kick back. That's not him. He doesn't do sedentary - and that goes for the people around him, too.

Click the link for the entire aricle.

Good read, TS. I never realized the Zornster was born and raised so close to my own youthful stomping grounds. He certainly seems like a high-energy dude, which will hopefully infuse the veteran heavy roster he's inherited with renewed vigor. That might make up for the (hopefully few) rookie mistakes he's bound to make in his first season at the helm.

HTTR

I was pissed at the time Jim Zorn was announced as headcoach. Not so much because of the choice but because of the process. Looking back it at it though you really can't fault Snyder for picking the guy he felt comfortable with the most.

The thought of Fassel being the head guy to me is more troubling than a headcoaching rookie leading this team. Zorn will bring in a fresh attitude and his energy and way of dealing with should bear fruits at some point.

One of my favorite parts:

""I think I had the best childhood," Rachael says. "My dad was very creative. We did stuff people didn't usually do. We went skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing. He pulled us behind the car on our skis. It kind of just seemed normal. We all played tons of sports."

What!? My parents would have gone absolutely ****ing nuts if I asked them to drag me behind their car on skis... :laugh:

Great find.

He is going to be just what JC needs:

""That first year, I didn't understand what Jim was doing," Hasselbeck says. "I wanted to run the offense and lead the team to the Super Bowl, and he's got me working on how to take a snap, how to take a three-step drop, how to talk to the guys. It was really frustrating. Jim was trying to develop me as a leader and as a quarterback, but he tore me down before he built me back up. ..."

Good stuff there, a nice little look into the man's life.

You gotta figure if he has that kind of ENERGY it'll trickle down to the team. NFL teams take on the personality of their coach and if the guy is this aggressive and off the wall in life, he is going to be going nuts as an NFL head coach

That and its just good for a guy with this stressful of a job to have the release that he does with his physical activity. Good for Jim Zorn, we'll see how this attitude translates to the Washington Redskins.

Good stuff there, a nice little look into the man's life.

You gotta figure if he has that kind of ENERGY it'll trickle down to the team. NFL teams take on the personality of their coach and if the guy is this aggressive and off the wall in life, he is going to be going nuts as an NFL head coach

That and its just good for a guy with this stressful of a job to have the release that he does with his physical activity. Good for Jim Zorn, we'll see how this attitude translates to the Washington Redskins.

I just pray he's not another Spurrier hire. It seems like he has a lot of distractions in his life that take his attention away from football. Come midseason, I'd feel more comforable if I knew the coach would be puttin in 20 hour days instead of taking breaks to go skiing. We've got a president right now who likes to go on vacation and we can see where that's led the country...hopefully Zorn does a better job with the Skins,

Great find.

He is going to be just what JC needs:

""That first year, I didn't understand what Jim was doing," Hasselbeck says. "I wanted to run the offense and lead the team to the Super Bowl, and he's got me working on how to take a snap, how to take a three-step drop, how to talk to the guys. It was really frustrating. Jim was trying to develop me as a leader and as a quarterback, but he tore me down before he built me back up. ..."

Everything JC needs - that and better accuracy

Zorn is my kind of guy. I may not be into all the outdoorsy stuff like mountain biking or running but my family is my life and my career is secondary. I tell my young troops all the time that they need to put their famalies first because when the uniform comes off family is all you have left. If you spend your life neglecting your family for your career there's a good chance they won't be there when the career is over. What kind of life is that?

I respect Coach Zorn for putting his family first, over football. He seems to bring a bit of levity and "realism" to the game. He puts it into prespective; it is a game afterall. The Redskins seemed to be most successful when the players were out there having fun and hopefully it will be fun this year. I just feel there was so much pressure on the players and staff to win because of Joe Gibbs and them wanting to preserve his legacy. I just hope Jim can find the balance between fun and business, last thing we need is a bunch of loose cannons running all over the field. Sounds like to me he has a knack for building relationships and being a people person so hopefully this will translate into success for us on the field, we'll just have to wait and see.

Zorn is my kind of guy. I may not be into all the outdoorsy stuff like mountain biking or running but my family is my life and my career is secondary. I tell my young troops all the time that they need to put their famalies first because when the uniform comes off family is all you have left. If you spend your life neglecting your family for your career there's a good chance they won't be there when the career is over. What kind of life is that?

I respect Coach Zorn for putting his family first, over football. He seems to bring a bit of levity and "realism" to the game. He puts it into prespective; it is a game afterall. The Redskins seemed to be most successful when the players were out there having fun and hopefully it will be fun this year. I just feel there was so much pressure on the players and staff to win because of Joe Gibbs and them wanting to preserve his legacy. I just hope Jim can find the balance between fun and business, last thing we need is a bunch of loose cannons running all over the field. Sounds like to me he has a knack for building relationships and being a people person so hopefully this will translate into success for us on the field, we'll just have to wait and see.

All I've got to say is that a person who is successful in their career who puts their family first is well respected and called admirable. A person who isn't successful in their career who puts their family first is said to not be focused enough on their career. We'll see which category Jim Zorn falls in, but I do get a little worried that he may not be putting enough time into preparing for training camp. I have those nasty memories of Steve Spurrier that I'm just praying aren't repeated with Zorn.

I think coach understands that one way to prolong one's career in the NFL,(though this can work in all areas of life), one must keep things in perspective and take care of himself. Both emotionally and physically. It also helps to enjoy what they're doing both professionally and personally. Coach seems to be doing all the above.

I have those nasty memories of Steve Spurrier that I'm just praying aren't repeated with Zorn.
I was actually thinking the same thing. Am hoping he doesn't have the work ethic of Spurrier.

I think the Zorn, Spurrier worries are quite frankly absurd

Huge huge difference between Zorn and SOS. Zorn has actually coached in the NFL the last 9 years, working under one of the best and hardworking coaches in the NFL

Spurrier thought he could come in and do as he did at UF, call a few plays, run a few practices and hit the links

Zorn already knows how much work it takes to win in the NFL because he has been doing it for almost a decade. Spurrier came in with the attitude that he won't work as much as Jim Haslett, and it bit him in the ass

This does not worry me at all that Zorn will not work hard enough. If anything, I can see him doing a Joe Gibbs 1.0 and working too hard and too much

Are you comparing him to Lombardi? Maybe we should set our hopes a little lower than that for the first year?

Just because he wont go into a shell with a lead doesn't mean people are looking for the next Lombardi. A lot of coaches are like that, Jason Garrett for example.

Archived