Fed up with cable internet

Zguy28

Grant or Protect  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Grant or Protect

• Protect rights
    • Grant rights
    • Other/Not Sure

I'm fed up with Cable internet right now. I have Metrocast in SoMD. Lately my bandwidth has been anywhere in between 17k to 700k download and between 30k to 120k upload. I'm paying for 6 megabits download and 768k up.

I suspect that they keep adding new clients and aren't expanding their own bandwidth, but rather just trunking more and more clients together.

Anybody else deal with problems like this and get ticked off?

A minute ago, I could even get to my beloved Extremskins. Firefox gave me a "Connection Refused" :mad:

I have had zero trouble with cable internet, anywhere I've lived since it became available. Counting quickly, that's 5 or 6 different residences. :whoknows:

My parents have Verizon DSL, and I've spent easily 10x as much time disgnosing their problems as I have spent diagnosing mine over the past several months. What a piece of crap Verizon offers. And the customer service makes even Comcast look competent. They're polite, but nearly useless.

I do think the biggest factor, though, is the quality of each offering in your particular area. Quality varies tremendously by region for each product, including those regions in which both products are available. In the interest of fairness, that factors into my experiences above as well. Wherever I've lived, DSL has suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked in epic fashion, while cable broadband has offered very, very few problems at all with installation, billing, or service.

So just go with whatever is best in your area. Ask around, etc...

Hold on, let me check my current Verizon FIOS speed.

Let's see

Test 1

5.160 Mbps download

1.784 Mbps upload

Ran another test with different service and got

5.169 Mbps download or (646.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

1.823 Mbps upload or (227.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

In case you wanted to know.

My Comcast cable broadband stats:

(Via wireless router, and to a server in NYC at Speedtest.net, for those interested in an equivalent benchmark)

Download: 18,321 kb/sec

Upload: 2,097 kb/sec

Edit: I just saw that speakeasy.net was used in the above post. So here's the result from that site:

Download: 17,005 kb/sec

Upload: 2,235 kb/sec

I think Metrocast is piggybacking off of Comcast's signal down here Zguy, and Comcast chokes bandwidth on purpose.

Odds are you're getting a secondhand choke.

I saw this framed needlepoint on the wall of Comcast's customer service office last time I was in there.

"We're the cable company. There's no FIOS in Southern MD yet. So **** off and pay up."

~Bang

FIOS is 20 Mb/sec max download and upload for $65/mo, correct? Or you can get 50 Mb/sec down and 20 Mb/sec up for $140/mo?

That's the last I heard about it, from a recent article. The $65 option seems in line with what cable broadband offers for downloading, although with faster uploads and a higher price tag. Good for hosting, assuming there's no bandwidth cap.

You may want to power cycle your modem and router, as well as have your cable provider run a line test to make sure the issue isn't related to cabling in or around your house, or on their end. In addition, bad devices (such as the afore-mentioned modem and router) can cause a slowdown in connectivity speed.

My current speed is around 8,000 kbps, which is OK compared to some of my other tested speeds (best tested speed at 21,000 kbps), but my upload speed has increased greatly, from around 768 kbps to as fast as 8,000 kbps, which is nice since I sometimes have to FTP files to a server.

Also check what your levels are (if your able to) depending on brand of modem.

type 192.168.100.1 that will most likely get you inside your modem.

If you have Cox your tx (transmit) levels should be between 39db up to 58 db. (if you have over 55db chances are you have a high transmit and could be to many splitters and/or bad wire either outside or in).

Your Rx (receive) usually is +5 to -15 (usually around -10db means your teetering on the edge of being knocked off)

Another thing, make sure the line that is going to your modem is not on the receiving end of an amplifier. Those are great for tv, but they cause noise and high tx levels, if you have an amp for your tv make sure you bypass the amp.

I never knew about this, pretty cool!

Question though, my Signal To Noise Ratio is 34.9 dB. I take it the

lower it is, the better it is right?

Also check what your levels are (if your able to) depending on brand of modem.

type 192.168.100.1 that will most likely get you inside your modem.

If you have Cox your tx (transmit) levels should be between 39db up to 58 db. (if you have over 55db chances are you have a high transmit and could be to many splitters and/or bad wire either outside or in).

Your Rx (receive) usually is +5 to -15 (usually around -10db means your teetering on the edge of being knocked off)

Another thing, make sure the line that is going to your modem is not on the receiving end of an amplifier. Those are great for tv, but they cause noise and high tx levels, if you have an amp for your tv make sure you bypass the amp.

Archived