Fed up with cable internet

Zguy28

Grant or Protect  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Grant or Protect

• Protect rights
    • Grant rights
    • Other/Not Sure

DSL or Fios is the way to go. Although some areas DSL is lacking. My DSL gets bumped to 10MB this weekend. I did have cable, but they shut my service off after 2 days. They said, "I downloaded to much". "We have a 50GB cap limit a month and if you go over we limit your speed to dialup".

I do think the biggest factor, though, is the quality of each offering in your particular area. Quality varies tremendously by region for each product, including those regions in which both products are available. In the interest of fairness, that factors into my experiences above as well. Wherever I've lived, DSL has suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked in epic fashion, while cable broadband has offered very, very few problems at all with installation, billing, or service.

So just go with whatever is best in your area. Ask around, etc...

FIOS and DSL are unavailable in my particular area of the county, despite it being a 700 home neighborhood. Its over 5 miles off the main roads.

In addition, Verizon has no plans to upgrade their architiecture to support such things.

Heck, the phone still goes down occasionally after a hard rain.

You may want to power cycle your modem and router, as well as have your cable provider run a line test to make sure the issue isn't related to cabling in or around your house, or on their end. In addition, bad devices (such as the afore-mentioned modem and router) can cause a slowdown in connectivity speed.
Its not equipment. I'm an IT Network Admin. Its all straight. I even had Metrocast lay new line (RG-6) outside and inside.

Still no joy.

I think Metrocast is piggybacking off of Comcast's signal down here Zguy, and Comcast chokes bandwidth on purpose.

Odds are you're getting a secondhand choke.

I saw this framed needlepoint on the wall of Comcast's customer service office last time I was in there.

"We're the cable company. There's no FIOS in Southern MD yet. So **** off and pay up."

~Bang

:point2skyPretty much what I suspected too. :mad:

I feel your pain, Zguy. I just moved into a new apartment in Wildewood and have been waiting...... 40 mins now with Verizon to get some answers on DSL. I just can't believe DSL isn't offered here, so close to the navy base. I can't bring myself to pay over $50/month for limited cable from Metrocast. Even Comcast has deals on cable right now. Monopolistic ****s.

Ok so I just got off the phone with Verizon and of course there's no DSL and no idea when it's coming. This sucks.

Comcast Cable Internet (PW County VA - Gainesville) is driving me nuts! The service is "unavailable" about 15 seconds out of every minute (Usually in 5 second spurts). This isn't a huge problem for internet service, but if you have a broadband telepone (we have Vonage) then your calls have 2-3 breaks every minute and having a conversation is nearly impossible....

I haven't been able to get them to lift a finger....

Comcast Cable Internet (PW County VA - Gainesville) is driving me nuts! The service is "unavailable" about 15 seconds out of every minute (Usually in 5 second spurts). This isn't a huge problem for internet service, but if you have a broadband telepone (we have Vonage) then your calls have 2-3 breaks every minute and having a conversation is nearly impossible....

I haven't been able to get them to lift a finger....

Off topic but you said you have Vonage... I recommend looking into this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080616/ap_on_hi_te/tec_magicjack

Also check what your levels are (if your able to) depending on brand of modem.

type 192.168.100.1 that will most likely get you inside your modem.

If you have Cox your tx (transmit) levels should be between 39db up to 58 db. (if you have over 55db chances are you have a high transmit and could be to many splitters and/or bad wire either outside or in).

Your Rx (receive) usually is +5 to -15 (usually around -10db means your teetering on the edge of being knocked off)

Another thing, make sure the line that is going to your modem is not on the receiving end of an amplifier. Those are great for tv, but they cause noise and high tx levels, if you have an amp for your tv make sure you bypass the amp.

Downstream

QAM Channel Power: -4.4 dBmV

SNR: 34.401 dB

Upstream Signal

Channel Power: 58.0 dBmV

Downstream

Upstream Signal

Have you called your cable provider? If you signed a contract for X speed and you're not getting that, it's time to have them take a look at things. You're paying them to provide service, if you aren't happy, tell them. Tell them repeatedly, if that's what it takes. In addition to that, tell them to credit your account for however many days your issues occurred (TWC has done this for me in the past, lost profit means motivation for any company). It's silly to be paying for something that you're not getting the full benefit out of. Also, and i know it may suck, but if they need to send a tech, be available for it, and listen to any advice/recommendations (document it for future reference or calls, until it's resolved).

IF they cannot or refuse to resolve it to your satisfaction, it's time to move on.

BTW, I assume your PC is in good condition....ie no spyware/malware that could be mucking things up right? Do you have a router?

FIOS and DSL are unavailable in my particular area of the county, despite it being a 700 home neighborhood. Its over 5 miles off the main roads.

I know where you live mr chesapeake ranch estates :laugh: Hmm but you are in mechanicsville i see, hmmmmmmm dont know of any neighborhoods that big there *scratches head*

Downstream

Upstream Signal

At least here in Fairfax (Cox) 58 is the worst signal you could have. Around here you would notice speed decreases and periods of time where you would be dropped offline constantly. Usually under 53 or in the mid 40's would be acceptable. What would be ideal is where the cable comes from under the ground and attaches to your home, have a direct line come from there straight to the modem (a dedicated line). 58 would usually indicate that you have two many splitters in the home draining the signal, or bad connectors at the side of the home or at the cable box by the street or even a possible cut cable.

I'd try a dedicated line myself. Then again I'm not sure what signal levels your provider is using but it doesn't sound good.

Have you called your cable provider? If you signed a contract for X speed and you're not getting that, it's time to have them take a look at things. You're paying them to provide service, if you aren't happy, tell them. Tell them repeatedly, if that's what it takes. In addition to that, tell them to credit your account for however many days your issues occurred (TWC has done this for me in the past, lost profit means motivation for any company). It's silly to be paying for something that you're not getting the full benefit out of. Also, and i know it may suck, but if they need to send a tech, be available for it, and listen to any advice/recommendations (document it for future reference or calls, until it's resolved).

IF they cannot or refuse to resolve it to your satisfaction, it's time to move on.

BTW, I assume your PC is in good condition....ie no spyware/malware that could be mucking things up right? Do you have a router?

Yes. I have engaged Metrocast. Several times.

My PC is fine. I'm an IT guy by trade.

At least here in Fairfax (Cox) 58 is the worst signal you could have. Around here you would notice speed decreases and periods of time where you would be dropped offline constantly. Usually under 53 or in the mid 40's would be acceptable. What would be ideal is where the cable comes from under the ground and attaches to your home, have a direct line come from there straight to the modem (a dedicated line). 58 would usually indicate that you have two many splitters in the home draining the signal, or bad connectors at the side of the home or at the cable box by the street or even a possible cut cable.

I'd try a dedicated line myself. Then again I'm not sure what signal levels your provider is using but it doesn't sound good.

I have all new line from the junction box up on the street to my house. In addition, the cable guy just ran new line through my house for free. It has one splitter that he put in that has the PC getting a stronger signal, while it gives the TV a weaker one.

He ran all new RG6 through my house. I watched him test it for noise and stuff too. :whoknows:

EDIT: This morning I'm getting:

Downstream Signal

Channel Power: -1.1 dBmV SNR: 34.372 dB

Upstream Signal

Channel Power: 48.4 dBmV

I know where you live mr chesapeake ranch estates :laugh: Hmm but you are in mechanicsville i see, hmmmmmmm dont know of any neighborhoods that big there *scratches head*
Nope. Country Lakes in the backside of Mechanicsville; near Chaptico. I'm roughly about 5 miles from Route 5.

Ran another test with different service and got

5.169 Mbps download or (646.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

1.823 Mbps upload or (227.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

In case you wanted to know.

Those tests are pretty much MEANINGLESS...just so you know.

Archived