Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Portis a good pass blocker?

Gibbsisgod2006

http://www.profootballtalk.com/fantasy-mill/

Moss is an explosive player, who is best running over routes and deep comebacks, not slants and snags. "

This is pure bs. I'm a U fan and i have seen moss catch plenty of slant/drag/dig routes and break it.Think about all the time's he caught the screen for gibbs. that dude is deadly every time he touchs the ball . the problem last year was cambell keep over throwing him by 6"! As for what he said about clintons blocking abilty :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: get a clue dude i can't belive they pay this smuck to write this crap.I wish i could type worth :2cents: so i could blurt out about some thing i know nothig about.

Portis is not very effective when it comes to pass protection--something the west coast tailback will have to handle. "

:doh: He's only the best pass blocking RB in the NFL. They probably think Shaun Alexander wsa a good pass blocker if they think Portis struggles. This is why I avoid PFT at all costs.

****ing ridiculous.

Apparently this clownshoe has never seen CP play in a Redskins uniform. CP hangs with most of the FB's in the league when in protection. He flat out blows pass rushers up!

As far as Moss, it's no secret that he's better deep than he is across the middle but the WCO employs it's share of deep routes too so 'Tana will be just fine.

Yeah, he acts like every route is a slant or something. Santana is gonna blow it up this year now that he has other receivers to take the pressure and double teams off him.

BTW, my favorite Clinton block isn't even on that video, the one where he straight clears Lance Briggs clean off his feet.

Clinton is great at pass blocking but because he goes for the knockout he does whiff and look really bad sometimes. I remember last year we had a Nationaly telivised game (can't remember at the moment) But Portis dove like superman and missed his block while the QB got crushed and I knew a lot of people who don't follow the skins every week would come to the conclusion that he was shaky when it comes to pass blocking. We all know that it is a strenghth of his though as does anybody who covers the team closely.

I was going to say something about Moss . There is the perception he is only good for deep routes and not so good with the ball in his hands . 2005 his career year he made his living on the bubble screen and making people miss . Just saying

I can't believe this is a thread (no offense to the op) but everone, especially here, knows how good a plass blocker CP is. No, he is not a left tackle, but for a runningback, he blows up much larger defenders. Only maybe LT is the other best pass blocker for a runningback.

I may be dense, but from that excerpt I got the impression that the writer thought Moss and Coles both played on the Jets at the same time. I thought we traded for Moss using Coles. So how in the h@!! could Moss be change of pace for no 1 receiver Coles?

Secondly, I concur with the general vibe here that the writer has never watched Portis without the ball. Given the gross factual error in his statement about Moss, I have to conclude that this hack at PFT probably got his journalistic training out of a Cracker Jack box.

I prefer watching his blocking highlights over his running highlights. As a runner, he's very good, very solid. Frankly not spectacular. As a blocker, he's the most selfless, gutty, phenomenal blocking RB I have ever seen. I have jumped out of my chair because of one of his blocks more times than I can count. He's a beast, and one of the main reasons we ever have success in the passing game. Our interior line over the past few years repeatedly lets someone get free up the middle and CP just absolutely stones them. If anyone ever cared about RB blocking, CP would be a first-ballot hall of famer.

I may be dense, but from that excerpt I got the impression that the writer thought Moss and Coles both played on the Jets at the same time. I thought we traded for Moss using Coles. So how in the h@!! could Moss be change of pace for no 1 receiver Coles?

Not to defend this idiot, but Coles and Moles did indeed play on the Jets at the same time for two years in 2001 and 2002. Coles was drafted in 2000 and Santana in 2001 .

You're correct, though, that this is a ridiculous analysis that is blown out of the water with even a cursory look at actual game film of either player. Of course, this is just a blog on the internet - probably not worth getting worked up over.

it was worth the guy saying it just to see you sig before i leave work today

I feel you. AWESOME freakin' sig dude. Epic. :cheers:

Oh yeah - CP is absolutely one of if not the best blocking backs in the league. My only concern is how he throws his body around at his size. It's not conducive to a long HOF career. Props on his utter abandon on every play.

Archived