Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Portis a good pass blocker?

Gibbsisgod2006

I was skimming through PFT on the Fantasy Mill and they had a blog about how the Skins will not be able to make the adjustment to the WC offenses here it is what do you guys think? I thought it was a bunch of Poo Poo :pooh:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/fantasy-mill/

"I think one of the most interesting hires of the off season was Jim Zorn in Washington. Zorn was recommended by Jim Fassell when he was interviewing for the head coaching position to the Redskin front office as a coach he would have on his staff. Of course, Jim did not get the job and the Zorn is now the head coach. The NFL is a strange world.

Zorn will try change the "Redskin Joe Gibbs" offense into his version of the west coast offense. That will be a slight challenge and there will be some adjustment time for the players as well as the coaches. Some of the assets he has on offense, like Santana Moss and Clinton Portis are not best highlighted in the west coast offense. Moss is an explosive player, who is best running over routes and deep comebacks, not slants and snags. When the Jets ran the west coast with Paul Hackett, Moss was the change of pace wide receiver he was used for specific routes as Laveranues Coles was the number one wide receiver. Portis is best when he can run the zone scheme and is not very effective when it comes to pass protection--something the west coast tailback will have to handle. "

I think someone else posted this earlier, I think we reached the conclusion that this writer subscribes to the "whoever won the division last year will win it again and maybe the 3rd/4th place teams will be switched around on 2 occasions" camp. I doubt he's ever watched Portis play

The writer cant tell his ass from his face. Clinton is renowned league over, for laying out rushers. Ask Sheldon "Clinton knocked me clean out, my knees crumpled, and I was asleep in a gap before I hit the ground" Quarles. Or you can ask Ray Lewis who has said CP is the best blocking back in the league. Clinton has mirked more chumps in his lifetime than the average d-backs/ safeties will in their career.

BTW right when Redskins Lunch Started Larry Michaels asked extremeskins for video ideas for the website. I was the first idea and I proposed a vid of clinton picking up blitzes. Larry said he loved the idea, but of course, they never came through. That and I also proposed a B.Lloyd vs. C.Samuels rap battle, which larry promised up and down would happen, that never did. Clinton should pick up larry's blitz.

Apparently this clownshoe has never seen CP play in a Redskins uniform. CP hangs with most of the FB's in the league when in protection. He flat out blows pass rushers up!

As far as Moss, it's no secret that he's better deep than he is across the middle but the WCO employs it's share of deep routes too so 'Tana will be just fine.

The writer cant tell his ass from his face. Clinton is renowned league over, for laying out rushers. Ask Sheldon "Clinton knocked me clean out, my knees crumpled, and I was asleep in a gap before I hit the ground" Quarles. Or you can ask Ray Lewis who has said CP is the best blocking back in the league. Clinton has mirked more chumps in his lifetime than the average d-backs/ safeties will in their career.

BTW right when Redskins Lunch Started Larry Michaels asked extremeskins for video ideas for the website. I was the first idea and I proposed a vid of clinton picking up blitzes. Larry said he loved the idea, but of course, they never came through. That and I also proposed a B.Lloyd vs. C.Samuels rap battle, which larry promised up and down would happen, that never did. Clinton should pick up larry's blitz.

True... didnt he lay out Merriman last year or the year before?

Yeah this article is very off based. I even have my Anti-Redskins buddies tell me all the time how Clinton is one heck of a pass blocker. IMO he's maybe the best back out there at doing it. He certainly has NO FEAR in filling a whole and knocking the crap out of someone

Archived