Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How are you all able to be on ES all day during work?

WVUforREDSKINS

Do you guys block the avatars, images and other things on this site at work?
Yes. I miss Jessica Alba bending over in my face, but it was difficult to explain to co-workers that it's really just a Redskins football site.

At my company, they don't really monitor. I am sure everything is logged and stored somewhere just in case, but everyone in my department has a general department login and a user login, so if I am going to surf it is always going to be on the department login so it can't be traced...lol. I mostly lurk during work though and try to do most of my posting on breaks/lunch or anytime not at work.....

Funny thing where I work...a year ago we were extremely busy and nobody gave a crap about how much time you spent on the internet. Now that things have slowed considerably, they are busting balls about time spent on the net - and in reality, now I only have enough work to keep me busy for 4 to 6 hours a day.

...but I just tell them it's an addiction for me. When they start busting the balls of people who take 4 or 5 of those "illegal" 10 minute cigarette breaks every hour or two, then I will stop spending time on the net.;)

My company has blocked a few sites, like Myspace and Youtube. So if there are links on here that I read during work, I have to wait til I get home to see it.

They used to not have Myspace blocked, but then a bunch of our graveyard employees were doing nothing but being on there. Probably the same for You tube. But I can get to pretty much any other internet site. I only check the news and ES though.

I've run websense for large companies. It will log EVERY PAGE you look at. However, most places are like this...

If you can get to it, it's safe. Meaning, if we don't block it, we don't care.

Now, if someone repeatedly tries to go to blocked web pages, we have a problem. If you are stealing a ton of bandwidth (streaming), we have a problem.

Also, if your boss or HR thinks you are spending too much time goofing off, they can request say, every page you've been to over the last month.

Streaming video and radio are bandwidth hogs. That's why companies generally block them. :2cents:

First off, if my streaming radio is slowing down the company's bandwidth, the company has bigger problems on its hands. Video, I can understand, but radio? :laugh: Cry me a river company. That's not the reason why though some companies don't allow personal use of the Internet. They're still stuck in the 1800s thinking we all still work on assembly lines.

My company has blocked a few sites, like Myspace and Youtube. So if there are links on here that I read during work, I have to wait til I get home to see it.

They used to not have Myspace blocked, but then a bunch of our graveyard employees were doing nothing but being on there. Probably the same for You tube. But I can get to pretty much any other internet site. I only check the news and ES though.

Same here. Anything dastardly I have to wait until I get home. Otherwise nobody has said anything. 2500 employees here at my hospital alone and only 10 IT workers.

I've run websense for large companies. It will log EVERY PAGE you look at. However, most places are like this...

If you can get to it, it's safe. Meaning, if we don't block it, we don't care.

Yeah because Websense blocks some sites such as Youtube, but sites like ebay or message boards such as ES have the block page but then a "continue" option that lets you bypass it.

I take the direct approach. If my boss says anything about my surfing I just pimp slap her a few times and then she usually sees the importance to the company of keeping me happy.

Seriously, I have several little tricks and "stragedies" to stay low key. Usually I will surf to the thread I'm interested in then cut and paste all the text into a blank email. That way if anyone walks up on me it looks like I'm composing an email. Also, just in case someone walks up on me before I can minimize the window, I have my screensaver set to come on after 1 minute. I'm fortunate though that my employer is very aware of how important the internets is so they don't really bother us about it at all.

If I worked for a company that was really anal about it, I'd simply surf using my iPhone. "The Man" can't stop dat! :cool:

My own air card & laptop. Costs me an extra 20 bucks a month for mobile broadband, but it's definitely worth it. Plus this way, I don't have to worry about The Man monitoring me. :)

My own air card & laptop. Costs me an extra 20 bucks a month for mobile broadband, but it's definitely worth it. Plus this way, I don't have to worry about The Man monitoring me. :)
Good plan. But if I were you, I would have bought that shirt from brooksbrothers.com in red. Green just isn't your color...

I work for the local goverment . they do have a filtering system in place ,but for some reason it does not block this site . I have been on here everyday since i joined ES . My office boss is a football fan and really doesn't care as long as my work is done. Main office would probably add this site to their list if they new. if they ever did block this site , i'd just go on AOL , there isn't a thing i can't access with that :doh: , for some reason our servers can't stop that .

Archived