Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gasoline prices may soon see $7.00 - $10.00 a gal.

WVUforREDSKINS

http://www2.nysun.com/article/75363

Get ready for another economic shock of major proportions — a virtual doubling of prices at the gas pump to as much as $10 a gallon.

That's the message from a couple of analytical energy industry trackers, both of whom, based on the surging oil prices, see considerably more pain at the pump than most drivers realize.

Gasoline nationally is in an accelerated upswing, having jumped to $3.58 a gallon from $3.50 in just the past week. In some parts of the country, including New York City and the West Coast, gas is already sporting a price tag above $4 a gallon. There was a pray-in at a Chevron station in San Francisco on Friday led by a minister asking God for cheaper gas, and an Arco gas station in San Mateo, Calif., has already raised its price to a sky-high $4.62.

In Manhattan, at a Mobil gas station at York Avenue and East 61st Street, premium gas is now $4.03 a gallon. Two days ago, it was $3.96. Why such a high price? "Blame the people at STOPEC (he meant OPEC) and the oil companies," an attendant there told me.

These increases are taking place before the all-important summer driving season, signaling even higher prices ahead.

Click for full article.

Maybe this will finally wake people up. Just think of all people who will actually lose money if they go to work.

Luckily, I have a job where I can telecommute to do most of it. If that really happens I would seriously have to work it out with my job to telecommute 2 or 3 days a week.

I'm not so sure its really going to get as bad as this suggests, but if it does I would like to think that the alternative fuels would go from being fringe experiments that are still a few years away from being a reality to something that will be available in cars within the year. Either that or maybe it's time for the US population to exercise their Constitutional right to overthrow some people in high places.

On the bright side, traffic here in DC will go way the hell down.

No it won't.

Demand for gasoline is pretty inelastic. People will drive pretty much the same, and they'll pay whatever they have to. Especially when we're talking about commuting to work.

The money will come out of someplace else. Maybe people will cancel vacations. Maybe Danny will sell fewer eight dollar beers.

There'll be lots of secondary effects. (Almost everything has the price of gas figured into it.) But I don't think we're going to see a lot of people quitting their job to save on gasoline.

No it won't.

Demand for gasoline is pretty inelastic. People will drive pretty much the same, and they'll pay whatever they have to. Especially when we're talking about commuting to work.

Ahh but the truckers will strike. Yesterday they were protesting from all around the country at the capitol. If they stop working, the country shuts down.

No it won't.

The money will come out of someplace else. Maybe people will cancel vacations. Maybe Danny will sell fewer eight dollar beers.

There'll be lots of secondary effects. (Almost everything has the price of gas figured into it.) But I don't think we're going to see a lot of people quitting their job to save on gasoline.

At $10 a gallon it will.

Well, I wouldn't be shocked to see gas prices eventually go this high, but I doubt it's going to happen anytime in the near, near future.

Few things to keep in mind...

1) OPEC and the market set gas prices, not our government so obviously "overthrowing" our government isn't going to do jack squat.

2)Maybe the high gas prices will piss off the wacko environmentalists enough to get them to stop protesting drilling in more of our "protected" areas to relieve gas prices until we can find cost-effective, alternative forms of energy.

3)No matter how bad it gets, we can always take solace in the fact that most all the other countries are paying higher prices than us :D

Ahh but the truckers will strike. Yesterday they were protesting from all around the country at the capitol. If they stop working, the country shuts down.

That is what we need to happen with gas prices already.

Agreed. We are talking $140 to fill up a 14 gallon tank. That's a small tank too.

Buh bye gas.

Now Metro will raise the rate of mass trans.

If you don't live in walking distance from work, you're screwed.

$10 a gas will be a major impact on the economy, and like everyone else Larry it will be a problem. No more commuting to other offices, there will be less service deliveries etc....

heck people would let their lawn turn into a jungle :laugh: :laugh:

If crude oil hits $200 a barrel and gas is 10.00 per gallon it will open up a whole plethora of possibilities for alternative energy. My guess is if OPEC see's it heading that direction they will increase production to keep the price down. The last thing they want is for another energy source to get a foothold.

Archived