Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES COVERAGE: 2008 NFL DRAFT FROM REDSKINS PARK (Final)

JimmiJo

ES COVERAGE: 2008 NFL DRAFT FROM REDSKINS PARK

04/26/08

:helmet:

Hello again my friends it is I, JimmiJo, message-boarding live from Redskins Park in Ashburn where this weekend we will cover the 2008 NFL Draft. This is my second year covering from Ashburn, and this proves to be more at least twice as exciting as last. Last year the Redskins had one pick the first day, which they used for LaRon Landry. This year the Redskins have nine picks in the draft. In case you are wondering, this is the most picks the team has had in a draft since 2002 when they had 10. That same year was also the last time the Redskins had a full draft (seven or more picks).

The Redskins are slated to pick two players today, one in each of the first two rounds. However, there's a lot of speculation that the team is looking to deal the 21st 1st-round pick to go either up or down (most likely down). The good news is that we will find out today.

It seems longer than the four months since I was last with you from here. I've missed it and am happy to be back. I will be posting updates as I get them as well as any fun facts I can come up with. Feel free to chime in with opinion, questions, or comments.

Stand by...

2:45PM

The helicopter just arrived here, presumably bringing back Coach Zorn and the others who went to FedEx Field for today's party.

3:45PM

Quiet here so far. There are about 10 media here watching the draft. So far I would say no surprises.

4:00PM

Still not much although there's been a few trades of picks already. In case none of you saw this, this is from David Elfin's blog over at the WT:

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/redskins/

"Longtime writers who've covered the Cardinals, Bengals and Lions have assured me that there's no way that those teams are trading their respective star receivers Anquan Boldin, Chad Johnson and Roy Williams to the Redskins."

Fun Facts

In 1937 the Boston Redskins selected Sammy Baugh (TCU) in the first round of the NFL Draft. He was selected 6th overall.

In those days there were 10 rounds of 10 picks each, one pick for each of the 10 NFL teams. The following is the first round of the 1937 draft (note the team names):

1 Philadelphia Eagles - Sam Francis - Back - Nebraska

2 Brooklyn Dodgers - Ed Goddard - Back - Washington State

3 Chicago Cardinals - Ray "Buzz" Buivid - Back - Marquette

4 New York Giants - Ed Widseth - Back - Minnesota

5 Pittsburgh Pirates - Mike Basrak - Back - Duquesne

6 Boston Redskins - Sammy Baugh - Quarterback - Texas Christian

7 Detroit Lions - Lloyd Cardwell - Back - Nebraska

8 Chicago Bears - Les McDonald - End - Nebraska

9 Green Bay Packers - Eddie Jankowski - Tackle - Wisconsin

10 Cleveland Rams - Johnny Drake - Tackle - Purdue

5:10PM

The press room has filled up and the PR folks are kindly setting out dinner for the press. Our pick is close and I hope I am not in mid-meal when it happens.

5:15PM

Well, we just lost the TV feeds here (T-storms in the area) so we are sitting around looking at a blank screen. At this rate anyone at home may know the pick before the media at Redskins Park do.

5:35PM

The Redskins traded their pick to Atlanta. Stand by for details.

The Redskins have traded the 21st pick of the 1st round to Atlanta for two picks in the 2nd round (34th and 48th) and 1 pick in the fourth round (103rd).

Ok, we received an incomplete report from team PR. The Redskins did in fact receive the 34th, 48th, and 103rd pick, but they traded their 21st AND 84th (3rd round) AND 154th (5th round).

6:20PM

Here are the updated Redskins selections

RD Round Selection (overall)

2 - 3 (34th)

2 - 17 (48th)

2 - 20 (51st)

3 - 33 (96th)

4 - 4 (103rd)

6 - 20 (186th)

7 - 21 (228th)

7 - 35 (242nd)

7 - 42 (249th)

2nd Round - 3rd Pick (34th Overall)

With the 3rd pick of the 2nd round (34th overall) the Washington Redskins select Devon Thomas.

Height:6'2"

Weight:215

College:Michigan State

Conference:Big 10

Hometown:Ann Arbor, MI

High School:Canton

7:30PM

We just spoke with Vinny Cerrato and Coach Zorn. It looks like it was Thomas all the way. According to Cerrato, the Redskins were intending to pick Thomas at 21st if they could not trade out of the pick. They were pleasantly surprised when Thomas was still at 34th.

When asked if the team is still considering trying to trade for a big-name current wideout, Cerrato answered, “no.”

Cerrato said that they had been hoping to get the trade with Atlanta all week. He seemed to suggest that the Redskins had to sweeten the deal a bit to make it happen, maybe with the 5th round pick.

We were just on a conference call with Thomas, who is very excited to be a Washington Redskin. He said that he was very happy to get the call from Dan Snyder asking him if he would like to be a Redskin. “I told him 'oh yeah, I’m ready to be a Redskin,'” he said.

2nd Round - 17th Pick (48th Overall)

With the 17th pick of the 2nd round (48th overall) the Washington Redskins select Fred Davis.

Fred Davis (TE)

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 248

College: Southern Cal

Conference: Pac 10

Hometown: Toledo, OH

High School: Rogers

2nd Round - 20th Pick (51st Overall)

With the 20th pick of the 2nd round (51st overall) the Washington Redskins select Malcolm Kelley.

Malcolm Kelly (WR)

Height:6'4"

Weight:218

College:Oklahoma

Conference:Big 12

Hometown:Longview, TX

High School:Longview

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Vinny Cerrato and Jim Zorn following the Devon Thomas pick click HERE

To listen to comments from Vinny Cerrato and Jim Zorn following Day 1 of the NFL Draft click HERE

To listen to comments from receivers coach Stan Hixon click HERE

To listen to phone conference with Devon Thomas click HERE

To listen to phone conference with Fred Davis click HERE

To listen to phone conference with Malcolm Kelly click HERE

So what do you guys think?

I have to tell you, I’m a bit disappointed with today. I love having guys like Thomas and Kelly on the team, but really didn’t get the Davis pick. I thought the team had a real opportunity to add quality guys on either line and was hoping they would do so. This team has age issues on both lines and I expected that they would address those with a least one of their 1st day picks. I appreciate that the draft dictates who is still there, but had you asked me a week ago, I never would have guessed the team would use its first three picks on skill players.

Today was surprising in that the receivers went late, mostly in the 2nd round. Every mock I looked at recently had these two going in the first round. According to Cerrato, they wanted Thomas at 21st and could not resist taking Kelly at 51st. In the audio you will hear Kelly say that he did expect to be drafted by the Redskins, but thought that it might not happen once the team selected Thomas. In Davis you have a guy that had no idea he would be drafted by the Redskins. He said that the only contact he had with the team was when they asked him for his phone number.

I did like the fact that they made the trade. I think they did fine with the deal, giving them an opportunity to get three players today on Day 1. They also picked up a low 4th round pick, something they did not have coming into today. The team traded their original 3rd round pick, but retained the compensatory pick they received for losing Derrick Dockery to free agency. Because of this the Redskins first two picks tomorrow will come rapidly, only seven picks apart. After these they have one 6th round and three 7th round picks. The team traded their 5th round pick today.

I have a long day here tomorrow and am going to jump off. I also am anxious to see what you guys think.

See you tomorrow…

Archived