Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES COVERAGE: 2008 NFL DRAFT FROM REDSKINS PARK (Final)

JimmiJo

Terrible trade. How in the world do the Eagles get a 1st, 2nd and 4th...just for the 19th pick. We give up the 21st, 3rd and 5th rounder for two two's and a fourth? How is that equal value? Sounded great on the first run through, but this stinks...we don't even end up with an extra pick, which is the whole reason for TRADING DOWN!

It wasn't a great deal like first reported (thought that was too good to be true) but it's still a decent deal given the talent available this draft...you "fleeced" and "terrible deal" guys are just being silly. We gain some ground overall and that's a good thing.

Its a ok deal considering there was nobody there at 21 :whoknows: If they want Kelly so bad he would have been a huge reach and with Sweed,Jackson and Thomas on the board he may fall to us. Its o.k I just wished we could hose other teams like the Eagles hosed the panthers today.... Oh well

Terrible trade. How in the world do the Eagles get a 1st, 2nd and 4th...just for the 19th pick. We give up the 21st, 3rd and 5th rounder for two two's and a fourth? How is that equal value? Sounded great on the first run through, but this stinks...we don't even end up with an extra pick, which is the whole reason for TRADING DOWN!

No, one of the reasons you trade down is to get out of a spot that you don't want.

The Redskins obviously wanted out of the first round, cause they saw nobody worth #21 for them.

It wasn't a great deal like first reported (thought that was too good to be true) but it's still a decent deal given the talent available this draft...you "fleeced" and "terrible deal" guys are just being silly. We gain some ground overall and that's a good thing.

I agree with you jumbo. Pretty much a straight even deal that will save us some money and hopefully doesnt cost us a top player that was there at 21 (Merling!!)

But like you said there was no terrible deal or fleecing. I think so are just let down after the initial report was so positive.

Can someone please tell ESPN to report trades!

Jumbo summed it up pretty well, but let's take a closer look.

We gave up our 21st for the 34th... moving down 13 spots.

But we got the 48th by giving up the 84th... moving up 36 spots.

And we got the 103 by giving up the 154... moving up 51 spots.

The guys we can get at 48 and 103 should be quite a bit better than the guys we would have gotten at 84 and 154.

And we only had to drop down 13 spots from 21 to 34 to do this... I think it's well worth it, as we figured the main guy (or guys) we wanted in the first round will still be available early in the 2nd (at 34).

This is clearly a good move. Just do the math, we made out quite well on the value chart.

We moved down from 21 to 34 and moved our natural third up a whole round and our fifth up more than a round and a half.

If you are watching the draft right now then it is clear that for our need positions, there was NO VALUE at 21 at all. None. The guy ATL traded with us to get was a fringe first rounder, early 2nd at best. Merling still hasn't gone. None of the WRs have gone.

Obviously anyone we took at 21 would have been a big reach. Now we stand a chance to maximize the value of our first pick, while moving way, way up in two other rounds.

It's not a fleecing, but it's more than fair and fits our needs MUCH BETTER.

Be happy!!

For all those that think this is a good deal, please look at what Philly got for their pick.... THREE picks, including a 1st rounder next year for ONE PICK, which was only two spots higher than the SKINS... I REPEAT, TERRIBLE TRADE.

I was kinda thinking that too, and expecting a better deal, but just because one team was that stupid doesn't mean that every other team is. I figure Philly got lucky, and there probably weren't too many offers for our picks.

I agree that you can't go by the numbers...it all matters what we need. However its funny to look at profootballtalk.com they have an update draft trade chart and all 3 of the picks we obtained don't even equal our first rounder that we gave up. It is all meaningless if we didn't need anyone with the 21. However, you are all foolish to say it was a good deal as you know that we could have gotten much more for that.

Those who are excited by this, don't get ahead of yourselves. Those who think it stinks, don't sweat it. It won't matter because until we see who we get it won't matter. Chances are good our FO won't do much with any of the picks. If we get one productive player it will be a success in their eyes.

No, one of the reasons you trade down is to get out of a spot that you don't want.

The Redskins obviously wanted out of the first round, cause they saw nobody worth #21 for them.

Just thinking that... If anything we will be able to look harder at our board in the second round and get three good picks.

Because the picks the Skins got from the Falcons are higher up in each round than the picks the Eagles got from the Panthers. That's why.

IMO, three picks in the 2nd round is HUGE, especially if we can get some combo of Merling, Campbell, Nelson and Sweed...and the 4th could allow us to get Owen Schmitt. AND we'd still have a 3rd rounder. From the looks of things most of the players the Skins had in their sights will slip into the 2nd round anyway, so why take a reach at #21 when you can realistically get that same player at #34 AND pick up another valued player 10 spots later...

For all those that think this is a good deal, please look at what Philly got for their pick.... THREE picks, including a 1st rounder next year for ONE PICK, which was only two spots higher than the SKINS... I REPEAT, TERRIBLE TRADE.

People I guess just have to ***** about something

first next year is worth a second this year. Time value of picks.

So consider the eagles deal a 2,2,4 for a 1. Little better than our deal, but thats to be expected, we never get great comparative value, but we did fine in the actual deal.

Those who are excited by this, don't get ahead of yourselves. Those who think it stinks, don't sweat it. It won't matter because until we see who we get it won't matter. Chances are good our FO won't do much with any of the picks. If we get one productive player it will be a success in their eyes.

I agree, even though I am on the it stinks bandwagon. If we walk away with a projected 1st round receiver and DE, and then a solid CB/OT with the 3rd second round, I might feel a little better. Still angry because I get to hear about the trade on Monday from Eagles fans, whose team made a WAY better trade.

Guys, I bet we're all on pins and needles, but what we really need now is some braeaks for this to be really cool...I don't care how much is from lick or from FO smarts...I just would like to see our first three selections be players who are agrred to have good solid talent for their position even if our personal priorities of position prioties vary...no slackers! no projects! no "surprises" no late-stage dumb deals! :)...then we will all breathe a little easier..

I agree 100%, we SHOULD'VE gained an extra pick out of the deal.... I would've still been glad with giving up the 1/3 for the 2/2/4 that would've been ok... even better would've been 1/5 for the 2/2/4 deal.... we would've ended up with 10 which as you pointed out, is the WHOLE reason for trading down - to GAIN EXTRA PICKS.... yeah we moved up in the 2nd's but we still end up with what we had 2/2/2/3 or 1/2/3/3 Not a GREAT move, but we still gain some earlier picking so not grading it an "F" but certainly not better than a "C" move...

Because the picks the Skins got from the Falcons are higher up in each round than the picks the Eagles got from the Panthers. That's why.

IMO, three picks in the 2nd round is HUGE, especially if we can get some combo of Merling, Campbell, Nelson and Sweed...and the 4th could allow us to get Owen Schmitt. AND we'd still have a 3rd rounder. From the looks of things most of the players the Skins had in their sights will slip into the 2nd round anyway, so why take a reach at #21 when you can realistically get that same player at #34 AND pick up another valued player 10 spots later...

I second that analysis. We have a chance to add some valuable players in the second who can be dominant for a long time at very cheap contracts.

The draft value chart has us giving up 1000 points and gaining 1088...which means that the trade was objectively pretty fair to both sides. Too many fans go only on which round the picks were in.

It's value, jreiner. Everyone uses the same chart. "Fleecings" don't really happen.

Not as many whiners flying off the handle as I thought there would be, though. It's kinda nice!

I see it as neither a success or a failure.

Just a fair trade.

Whether it is a success or not, we won't know for a while... like maybe a couple of years until we see how our picks work out. :)

I second that analysis. We have a chance to add some valuable players in the second who can be dominant for a long time at very cheap contracts.

Yep the trade makes sense. Nothing to crack open a bottle of bubbly to (no ricky williams type deal) but a trade that makes sense money wise and lets us stockpile some good talent.

Now i still hate the WR position in a draft. Would love to see 2 OL, 2 DL but thats just me and i dont expect that to happen.

Archived