Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CAPS season ends (thanks to the refs): Good season boys!

JimmyConway

I know not to many folks around here are hockey fans but I'd thought I'd throw this out there because I'm going to be there.

7:00 PM ET, April 1, 2008

Verizon Center, Washington, DC

Preview courtesy of ESPN http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=280401023

With league highs of 62 goals and 109 points, Alex Ovechkin's contributions to the Washington Capitals as they try to reach the postseason for the first time in five years can't be overlooked.

In five weeks with his new team, Cristobal Huet is proving to be just as important.

After dominating during a season-high six-game road trip, the Capitals (40-31-8) will try to move into a tie with the Carolina Hurricans atop the Southeast Division when they meet Tuesday night.

The Southeast winner will be locked in as the third seed in the Eastern Conference, but the second-place finisher in the division could be left out of the postseason. Though the Capitals have 88 points -- two fewer than the Hurricanes -- they start play ninth in the conference.

The Capitals and Hurricanes each have three games remaining, but this will be their final regular-season meeting. Carolina holds a 4-2-1 series lead.

Washington coach Bruce Boudreau told the Capitals' official Web site his team is poised to take advantage of any opponent.

"I know if we keep winning something good is going to happen," said Boudreau, who took over in November for the fired Glen Hanlon after a 6-14-1 start. "We can only do what we can do. If it takes 95 points to make the playoffs, so be it.

"But I believe if we continue to play like we play, somebody is going to falter once. And we'll be there to jump on them."

Washington went 5-1-0 on its road swing, including a sweep of all four division rivals. In their final road game of the season Sunday, the Caps got a goal and assist from Ovechkin and 32 saves from Huet in a 3-0 win that eliminated Florida from playoff contention.

Ovechkin had five goals and five assists during the trip. The likely Art Ross Trophy winner as the league's top scorer has six goals and four assists versus Carolina in 2007-08.

Huet, a surprising trade deadline-day acquisition from Montreal on Feb. 26, has been outstanding. He's won six straight starts and is 8-2-0 with a 1.83 goals-against average and two shutouts with his new club.

Huet stopped 25 shots and three more in the shootout en route to a 3-2 win over Carolina last Tuesday. Ovechkin had a goal in the win.

"We just have to do our job. We can't control what they do," Huet said of the playoff chase. "We think about the next game right now, and that's all we can look at. That's working right now, and we're a pretty confident group. We're going to keep working."

While Washington is looking for its fourth straight home win, Carolina (42-31-6) is trying to move closer to its second division title in three seasons. The Hurricanes squandered a chance to increase their division lead over the Capitals with a 2-1 loss to Tampa Bay on Sunday.

"We've got to come up with four points (to win the division)," Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette said. "It doesn't matter how we do it, but Tuesday night will be a big one, no question about it."

Eric Staal leads Carolina with 36 goals and 43 assists, but hasn't been at his best away from home recently and in Washington throughout his three-year career. He has just four goals and four assists as the Hurricanes have gone 6-6-0 in their last 12 on the road.

Staal hasn't recorded a point in three games at the Verizon Center this season, and has only two goals and six assists in 14 games there.

We do have a "washington hockey" forum here but...

My wife and i will be there tonight in 229! I dont have anything red to wear (w/o stains at least lol) so i think i'll buy a brand new red OV jersey when i get there :D Tony Chengs Mongolian BBQ here i come :hungry:

Will try to post some pics if we take the dig camera

It's better to wear a red shirt than a blue jersey' date=' even if the shirt is not caps related. It's a RED OUT![/quote']

No Way, that ugly blue jersey has a cigar burn in it from the night we beat Buffalo to go to the stanley cup, it is now part of my caps tradition.

If we win we'll have a 53.5% chance of making the playoffs. If we lose' date=' it's 7.2% and the Canes are in. Floppers. [/quote']Maybe I am mistaken, but even if the Caps win tonight, they would be tied in the standings, but behind Carolina on the 1st and 2nd tiebreaker. The Caps get a small break in the fact that Boston plays Ottawa and NJ, but 53.5% sounds awfully high.

This game is huge. Basically, if we win out, we're in the playoffs. We're in control of our destiny, and it starts TONIGHT! No OT game, we need to tie Carolina in the standings TONIGHT!
We need to win out AND have the Canes lose one of their last two.There are a couple other scenarios involving the Bruins and Flyers, but those are less likely.

Maybe I am mistaken, but even if the Caps win tonight, they would be tied in the standings, but behind Carolina on the 1st and 2nd tiebreaker. The Caps get a small break in the fact that Boston plays Ottawa and NJ, but 53.5% sounds awfully high.

That does sound awfully high. I think it must be assuming we win out, then assuming the rest of the games are 50/50 (which isn't a good assumption for the NHL, its not an "any given (Sun)day" league like the NFL.

We need to win out AND have the Canes lose one of their last two.There are a couple other scenarios involving the Bruins and Flyers' date=' but those are less likely.[/quote']

I thought we had the tiebreaker over the Canes if we won tonight?

And if that's not the case, I actually think the 8th seed is a lot more likely at this point. Carolina has Tampa Bay and Florida after us. Boston has New Jersey and Ottawa still to play in two of their last three games, which isn't a cakewalk. Philly has Pittsburgh twice and New Jersey, which is pretty damn hard as well.

I think we'll wind up with either the 8th or 7th seed at this point, unless Carolina seriously screws up. In any case, we really, really need to win these last three games.

I thought we had the tiebreaker over the Canes if we won tonight?

And if that's not the case, I actually think the 8th seed is a lot more likely at this point. Carolina has Tampa Bay and Florida after us. Boston has New Jersey and Ottawa still to play in two of their last three games, which isn't a cakewalk. Philly has Pittsburgh twice and New Jersey, which is pretty damn hard as well.

I think we'll wind up with either the 8th or 7th seed at this point, unless Carolina seriously screws up. In any case, we really, really need to win these last three games.

We win out, and Carolina doesn't, we are in at the 3rd seed

If Carolina has an OTL and we win out, we get the 3rd seed

Possible, but we'll see how it plays out

Staal hasn't recorded a point in three games at the Verizon Center this season, and has only two goals and six assists in 14 games there.

SHHHHHH! Man, I hate when people mention that stuff!

I'll be rockin' the red throwback tonight!

:cheers:

Archived