Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

19 Filipinos Crucified..Are they Nuts?

twa

I'm a Christian(and even fairly devout),but this is insanity in my eyes.

WARNING...Link has pics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=540453&in_page_id=1811

A 15-year-old boy has been crucified in the Philipines today in a gory ritual to mark the death of Jesus Christ.

Dozens of Filipinos, including the boy and an 18-year-old girl, were nailed to crosses and scores more whipped their backs into a bloody pulp as the country's devout Roman Catholics marked Good Friday.

The voluntary crucifixions in the northern Philippines were the most extreme displays of religious devotion in this mainly Catholic country, where millions are praying and fasting ahead of the Easter weekend.

I saw a news special on tv at some point and I'm not sure if it was shot in the Phillipines or not, but this is a normal ritual wherever it was. It was shocking to say the least, but totally a cultural learning experience.

Just to tell the people who aren't really reading the article:

The country's dominant Catholic Church disapproves of the crucifixions and flagellations as a misrepresentation of the faith.

So this isn't an example of a hypocritical Church.

One thing though. The article says these people are being crucified, but no one has died from the ritual. Don't you have to die for it to be considered a crucifixion?

One thing though. The article says these people are being crucified, but no one has died from the ritual. Don't you have to die for it to be considered a crucifixion?

Well, in the old days they used to break their legs too to speed up death.

A real crucifixion will kill you, because you are hung for days until you die. Then you got vultures and such probably pecking at you in the hot sun.

Well, in the old days they used to break their legs too to speed up death.

A real crucifixion will kill you, because you are hung for days until you die. Then you got vultures and such probably pecking at you in the hot sun.

yeah but at least the view of the country side is good from up on the hill :silly:

Good point to make..it is not sanctioned by Catholic hierarchy.

I think being nailed and suspended qualify as the act of crucification,it is just not allowed to continue to it's traditional ending.

If you look at crucification,it is a slow horrible torture that continues until your muscle groups fail or organs ...not a execution in and of itself.

Anyone that would endure it willingly is tougher than I.

Archived