Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Idol: 2008

Skins247

Ive actually met Carly. I did the remodel at the bar she works at and she would come in while I was wrapping up so they could open. Pretty dope bar and she is very nice. Not the hottest but her eyes are piercing.

She wasnt quite as inked up then either..

Michael was easily top three IMO, travesty I tell you. The dumb ass blonde country wannabe is this years Sanjia. Girl is horrid and keeps getting through. Should have been Christy Lee (what kind of name is that anyway?) Syesha, then old David Archuleta. Don't get me wrong, David can sing but who's going to buy this kids album? What could he possibly sing that's believable? Disney songs? Pretty pissed about Michael getting voted off though. Oh well, dude can go out and make some real music now without AI having their thumbs in the pie.

Go David Cook!

Yes, my mouth dropped just like Paula's when I heard & saw Michael Johns was eliminated on Thursday. I thought all three(Michael, Carly, Syesha) would stay because of the benefit show the night before like last year, but not the case. I was still happy that my favorite guy, David Cook is still on. I think it will be the two David's battling it out for "Your next American Idol". Go David C!

I don't like Archuletta. I think he's got a phenominal voice... But he really is gloomy, and to me, he's boring as sin. The way he giggles like a school-girl at every compliment annoys the piss out of me too.

I 1000% agree. Sadly, he has every girl in American under 14 screaming and dialing for him.

I'm hoping for David Cook - am I the only one who thinks he looks like he should be in the Foo Fighters?

Bump!

I CAN'T believe Michael Johns just got voted off and Syesha didn't. Aackk!!! I don't like to cuss, but :wtf:

Why should Syesha be voted off? She has an excellent voice. It should have been Kristy. She is horrible.

I like David Cook the best, even though I'm not all gung-ho for him like I was for Chris Daughtry during his run. I like Jason, I want to hear him bust out some Bob Marley. Archuleta bugs me, Carly had her chance and I'm not a huge fan.

Ive actually met Carly. I did the remodel at the bar she works at and she would come in while I was wrapping up so they could open. Pretty dope bar and she is very nice. Not the hottest but her eyes are piercing.

I went to her bar (The Field) last weekend before the Padres game. Didn't realize it was her bar until I went to the bathroom and saw her poster plastered all over the walls. Nice little dive bar, good food.

I went to her bar (The Field) last weekend before the Padres game. Didn't realize it was her bar until I went to the bathroom and saw her poster plastered all over the walls. Nice little dive bar, good food.

Yeah, I am responsible for the tile/new cabinets/toilets/stage there. Also helped refinished the floors as well. Didnt get one single free beer out of it though.

She was really nice and laughing with all of her coworkers.

Why should Syesha be voted off? She has an excellent voice. It should have been Kristy. She is horrible.

Syesha should have been voted off this week and Kristy's sorry ass should have been voted off last week. :2cents: Don't know how either one of them keeps making it through. Kristy just cannot sing and keeps getting by on her looks and the fact that she's filling that country niche. Syeasha can sing but to my ear screams as more than sings. Just something about her voice isn't pleasing to the ear when she hits her high notes. I think America is less and less impressed by the vocal acrobatics and is more in tuned to what actually sounds and feels good. Syesha has yet to sing a song where she's connected with the audience.

I see Carly bouncing back this week and Syesha going home. :2cents:

Syesha should have been voted off this week and Kristy's sorry ass should have been voted off last week. :2cents: Don't know how either one of them keeps making it through. Kristy just cannot sing and keeps getting by on her looks and the fact that she's filling that country niche. Syeasha can sing but to my ear screams as more than sings. Just something about her voice isn't pleasing to the ear when she hits her high notes. I think America is less and less impressed by the vocal acrobatics and is more in tuned to what actually sounds and feels good. Syesha has yet to sing a song where she's connected with the audience.

I see Carly bouncing back this week and Syesha going home. :2cents:

I TOTALLY felt that way about Kristy but feel she is getting better. She looks like a robot when she sings. She can't dance. Syesha should have been gone moons ago. Both of them, and Ramiele should have been gone before Chikezie, IMO.

And, one would hope so......

I don't like Kristy... She's good looking and all, but she sucks.

I have a feeling it will be Archeletta, as much as I hate him. He looks like a mongaloid. David Cook all the way for me, Carly Smithson is number 2.

On to Brooke White, she's a good singer and all, but I don't want the next American Idol to put out a Christian Rock album. I can't stand that ****. She's a little goody two shoes and I can't bear her naivete.

On to Brooke White, she's a good singer and all, but I don't want the next American Idol to put out a Christian Rock album. I can't stand that ****. She's a little goody two shoes and I can't bear her naivete.

I'm not a big fan. She's not consistent to me. A bit shaky, IMO. Unique voice.

I don't like how she interrupts the judges to say thank you. Just listen! Then say thank you. ;)

I like Brooke's voice and I actually think she is one of the few remaining contestants that could actually end up making decent music. (the others being Jason, and maybe David Cook, although he will probably end up being another Daughtry :gag) I can see how her personality would grate on people though. Although if a singer/artist/musician isnt a little quirky I often dont trust them. BTW, she may be a goody two shoes but theres nothing shes done so far that makes me think she would be making "Christian Rock." Has she ever even mentioned religion?

Michael Johns is boring, BTW. He'd be good in a Queen cover band, but that seems to be his limit.

Michael Johns is boring, BTW. He'd be good in a Queen cover band, but that seems to be his limit.

I think part of Michael Johns' problem is that he went that "Queen cover band" route in his performances. He could have been a more interesting singer if he'd gone the blues/soul road that he took in his original audition.

I don't know that he would have won with that approach, but I might have bought a record if he sounded good that way.

Please elaborate...if you "can't stand that ****", you must not like Rock in general - there is a TON of great "Christian Rock" bands....many of them avoid that label because some people won't listen because of that alone....

Please elaborate...if you "can't stand that ****", you must not like Rock in general - there is a TON of great "Christian Rock" bands....many of them avoid that label because some people won't listen because of that alone....

I like rock. I like bands like Coldplay and Queens of the Stone Age on the more modern side and bands like Led Zeppelin and the Beatles on the more classic side. What I don't like is the bands that spread the gospel by song, bands that mention God in every verse. It's just not my style. I probably meant more of the Christian Contemporary than Rock so that is my mistake. But I am probably like many other people, when I want to hear the gospel I'll go to church not turn my radio dial.

What popular rock bands would you consider "christian rock"? Maybe I'm missing something here.

I like rock. I like bands like Coldplay and Queens of the Stone Age on the more modern side and bands like Led Zeppelin and the Beatles on the more classic side. What I don't like is the bands that spread the gospel by song, bands that mention God in every verse. It's just not my style. I probably meant more of the Christian Contemporary than Rock so that is my mistake. But I am probably like many other people, when I want to hear the gospel I'll go to church not turn my radio dial.

What popular rock bands would you consider "christian rock"? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Most Christian Rock bands don't necessarily mention God at all. They just promote more positive ideas and actually embrace hope. I'm not saying that's all I listen to, because that's not the case, but I hate that misconception. That's why bands like P.O.D. and Chevelle stay away from Christian labels so their messages can be heard (P.O.D. moreso now).

That leads to my next point: most "Christian" bands have to stay away from that label because then their music would either be a. not played by the mainstream media or b. be looked at as nothing but the forcing of faith on others.

There are quite a few strong rock bands that have lyrics that represent their faith, some mention God, some don't, but the point is the music is good and their messages are positive.

Here are a few good ones:

P.O.D. (as mentioned)

Chevelle

Switchfoot

Flyleaf

Paramore

As I Lay Dying

Saosin

MXPX

Lifehouse

Underoath

Evanescence (vehemently denied the "Christian Rock" label because of the misconceptions)

U2 (mostly Christians, but stay away from that label)

These are just some bands in the mainstream that are "Christian Rock" (minus the last two) that promote themselves through "secular" labels so their messages can be heard.

I could give you band after band that hasn't been heard because they are a "Christian Rock Band" solely because their label or what they choose to be under, even though from their lyrics they don't cry it out.

Tim of "As I Lay Dying" says it best:

"I'm not sure what the difference is between five Christians playing in a band and a Christian band. If you truly believe something, then it should affect every area of your life. All five of us are Christians. I believe that change should start with me first, and as a result, our lyrics do not come across very "preachy." Many of our songs are about life, struggles, mistakes, relationships and other issues that don't fit entirely in the spiritual category. However, all of these topics are written about through my perspective as a Christian."

—Tim Lambesis

So, (as I would say in the paper I'm writing for school ;)) in conclusion, the "Christian Rock" label carries a negative connotation for those who are not of Christian faith. I hate the term personally and it's sad that good messages are lost in music because of a band's faith.....

I am rooting for David Cooke to win it.

Tony Kornheiser a HUGE Idol fan said it perfectly the other day on this show. During the tribute show when Miley Cyrus sang he said, "now listening to her and then the others it isn't close, talent wins and she is so far beyond any of the other Idol singers".

The reason why Kristy is still in it is all the guys are voting for her, she is good looking :)

Most Christian Rock bands don't necessarily mention God at all. They just promote more positive ideas and actually embrace hope. I'm not saying that's all I listen to, because that's not the case, but I hate that misconception. That's why bands like P.O.D. and Chevelle stay away from Christian labels so their messages can be heard (P.O.D. moreso now).

That leads to my next point: most "Christian" bands have to stay away from that label because then their music would either be a. not played by the mainstream media or b. be looked at as nothing but the forcing of faith on others.

There are quite a few strong rock bands that have lyrics that represent their faith, some mention God, some don't, but the point is the music is good and their messages are positive.

P.O.D. (as mentioned)

Chevelle

Switchfoot

Flyleaf

Paramore

As I Lay Dying

Saosin

MXPX

Lifehouse

Underoath

Evanescence (vehemently denied the "Christian Rock" label because of the misconceptions)

These are just some bands in the mainstream that are "Christian Rock" (minus the last two) that promote themselves through "secular" labels so their messages can be heard.

I could give you band after band that hasn't been heard because they are a "Christian Rock Band" solely because their label or what they choose to be under, even though from their lyrics they don't cry it out.

Tim of "As I Lay Dying" says it best:

"I'm not sure what the difference is between five Christians playing in a band and a Christian band. If you truly believe something, then it should affect every area of your life. All five of us are Christians. I believe that change should start with me first, and as a result, our lyrics do not come across very "preachy." Many of our songs are about life, struggles, mistakes, relationships and other issues that don't fit entirely in the spiritual category. However, all of these topics are written about through my perspective as a Christian."

—Tim Lambesis

So, (as I would say in the paper I'm writing for school ;)) in conclusion, the "Christian Rock" label carries a negative connotation for those who are not of Christian faith. I hate the term personally and it's sad that good messages are lost in music because of a band's faith.....

:applause: I agree whole heartedly

I am rooting for David Cooke to win it.

Tony Kornheiser a HUGE Idol fan said it perfectly the other day on this show. During the tribute show when Miley Cyrus sang he said, "now listening to her and then the others it isn't close, talent wins and she is so far beyond any of the other Idol singers".

The reason why Kristy is still in it is all the guys are voting for her, she is good looking :)

Am I the only guy who would take Carly over Kristy any day?

Maybe it's my taste in women....;)

P.O.D. (as mentioned)

Chevelle

Switchfoot

Flyleaf

Paramore

As I Lay Dying

Saosin

MXPX

Lifehouse

Underoath

I think it is reaching when you say because they are Christian makes them a Christian rock band. A true Christian rock band is one that continues to put messages of god in their songs. Creed is an example of true Christian rock band.

I think it is reaching when you say because they are Christian makes them a Christian rock band. A true Christian rock band is one that continues to put messages of god in their songs. Creed is an example of true Christian rock band.

The term "Christian Rock" is completely relative then.

I'm not saying that being a Christian makes your band Christian, and I agree with you in the "messages of God" aspect, but it's just that. Messages OF God, not ABOUT.

Messages of God include hope, redemption, love, etc....

R4L... I'm not going to quote your post as to save space.

I think you misunderstood me, or I didn't get my point across well enough. I don't have a problem with Christians in a rock band or music that sends out a positive message. It really turns me off though, when I hear a song that speaks about God or the Bible at every passage. Maybe my issue is more with the contemporary christian music, I'm not sure. I'm no buff on christian music, admittedly. That's just my personal view on music, God is good and all, just not in the music I choose to listen to.

Now back to the Idol talk (sacrilege!)... David Cook all the way!!

Archived