Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Idol: 2008

Skins247

R4L... I'm not going to quote your post as to save space.

I think you misunderstood me, or I didn't get my point across well enough. I don't have a problem with Christians in a rock band or music that sends out a positive message. It really turns me off though, when I hear a song that speaks about God or the Bible at every passage. Maybe my issue is more with the contemporary christian music, I'm not sure. I'm no buff on christian music, admittedly. That's just my personal view on music, God is good and all, just not in the music I choose to listen to.

Now back to the Idol talk (sacrilege!)... David Cook all the way!!

Please don't quote that...you will never see something that long by me again, I'm just in "essay" mode.

I'll agree with you on two things though:

1. I probably did misunderstand a little, I just despise the term "Christian Rock" and its negative connotation.

2. Go David Cook! (I didn't mean to hijack this thread)

:cheers:

The term "Christian Rock" is completely relative then.

I'm not saying that being a Christian makes your band Christian, and I agree with you in the "messages of God" aspect, but it's just that. Messages OF God, not ABOUT.

Messages of God include hope, redemption, love, etc....

To me the message of God in songs is when you say god or quote verses, other religions believe in hope, love etc... not just Christians you need to understand that

back to idol chat :)

To me the message of God in songs is when you say god or quote verses, other religions believe in hope, love etc... not just Christians you need to understand that

back to idol chat :)

One quick rebuttal and we'll be back to your regularly scheduled ES Idol thread:

I 100% agree other religions believe in those things, my point is that they are unique in "Christian Rock" because of the perspective they are written from.

Now that that's done....

070410_sanjaya_vmed_6p.widec.jpg

;)

By no means am I an "expert" but I have chosen every Idol winner typically by the second week once the final twelve have been decided. I even had Jennifer Hudson high on the list and was not happy when she got voted off, who's laughing now?

Anyway, Simon is typically close but he's all over the place with his "advice". First he tells someone to be different, then tells them they shouldn't have changed the song. Show more confidence, you're too smug; he has a decent ear though. The one I think he got the most wrong was Jennifer Hudson and I think it was mostly due to her theatrical presentation of the songs more than her voice.

Got a little side tracked. So, next time you're watching Idol close your eyes and listen. Don't let appearance or delivery influence your ears. If you have a good ear you'll feel the music more than you hear it. Syesha for example has great vocals but its so robotic and emotionless you don't feel it.

David Archuletta is a one trick pony who only does well in the crooner/ballad type songs and is getting very gloomy. Not to mention the fact no one wants to hear a kid his age sing about things many, many years beyond his age.

Brooke, will get a record deal and will have her niche singing folke type music. You'll see her album on the turnstyle at Starbucks.

Kristy Lee, better but far from good. I doubt she'll even get picked up to make an album. Way too many country artists trying to make it in Nashville with a **** ton more talent.

Jason Castro won't win but will do well after Idol. He's a Jack Johnson type singer that the indie crowd will definitely dig. I like his vocals but enjoy him even more when he pushes his range. I think he lacks confidence in his vocal ability and tends to play it safe. He needs to really push himself if he's going to get much further.

Carly at one point was my front runner but has struggled lately. She excels at the Celine type stuff but wants to be a rocker. I like her as a rocker but she needs to start choosing better songs. Vocally she's the best in the competition when she's on.

David Cook, dude has some serious talent. Too much if you ask me, I'll get to that in a minute. Anyway, listen to his voice. Full, perfect amounts of vebrato, never seems strained and always on key. Yes he's my favorite. David is trying to be David. Unlike Syesha he always sings it the way David sings it. Syesha's problem is she can hit the big notes like Whitney and the other musicians she immulates but she's not them. Her vocales do not invoke emotion. David always has me sitting there shaking my head yes and thinking "wow, this dude can sing".

Now what I alluded to earlier. Almost every single person on the stage except for maybe Brooke, Jason and David has already made it. Maybe not to the national stage but they have all be doing this for a while. David Archuletta singing in South America, Carly having a record deal gone sour, Syesha modeling/acting, even Kristy Lee sang at some kind of State something or other. I want to see raw undiscovered talent getting a shot, not a bunch of almosts using AI as a catapult for their careers. :2cents:

Am I the only guy who would take Carly over Kristy any day?

Maybe it's my taste in women....;)

I'd take Carly over Kristy anyday of the week and twice today, it's Sunday. :D

Speaking of "Christian Rock", remember when Creed first came out? I remember thinking "Wow, they have some pretty powerful lyrics. Wonder if they're a Christian Rock band." It's all about the message and how it's interpreted. A band doesn't have to push religion to be effective. I personally am typically turned off by the uber spiritual contemporary music. I went to a church here in Vegas where the band had smoke machines and lights flashing; didn't know if I was at a rock concert or in church.

I'd take Carly over Kristy anyday of the week and twice today, it's Sunday. :D

Speaking of "Christian Rock", remember when Creed first came out? I remember thinking "Wow, they have some pretty powerful lyrics. Wonder if they're a Christian Rock band." It's all about the message and how it's interpreted. A band doesn't have to push religion to be effective. I personally am typically turned off by the uber spiritual contemporary music. I went to a church here in Vegas where the band had smoke machines and lights flashing; didn't know if I was at a rock concert or in church.

That's personally my preference for a church, but different strokes for different folks.

I'd take Carly twice any day and three times Sunday - as long as the Skins aren't playing :wavetowel

That's personally my preference for a church, but different strokes for different folks.

I'd take Carly twice any day and three times Sunday - as long as the Skins aren't playing :wavetowel

I grew up in a traditional "hymn" type baptist church. We had guitars, drums and pianos but not all the theatrics. The smoke and lights kind of freaked me out a little but to each their own. I'm not going to hate on someone for how they choose to worship, it's just not my thing.

I'll bump this just because someone gets voted off tonight.

These "vote off" shows SUCK. One hour of boring dribble....

I'll take Kristy getting the boot this week.

*David Cook was INCREDIBLE last night...

Not tuned in right now have it recording but if Mariah is on its is good enough for me :silly:

I don't like Cook but last night he convinced me he is the best artist on the show.

Not tuned in right now have it recording but if Mariah is on its is good enough for me :silly:

I don't like Cook but last night he convinced me he is the best artist on the show.

I absolutely agree on that first statement :thumbsup:

Cook has the most confidence and quite frankly, balls. He knows his strengths and he is creative in helping them shine through.

Everyone else on the show is the same boring crap week after week.

I'll bump this just because someone gets voted off tonight.

These "vote off" shows SUCK. One hour of boring dribble....

I'll take Kristy getting the boot this week.

*David Cook was INCREDIBLE last night...

David C. is still my favorite Idol this season. He really did put his heart into that song last night (probably thinking about his brother in the audience). The hair is still not working for me so much, but, hey he's got a voice!:2cents:

The two that stand out and deserve to win are:

David Cook & Brooke White

Cook can take any song and make it into a great song with his own twist on it. When he did Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean" that was truly awesome and convinced me this guy can have a good career.

Brooke White..is just so damn hot...that cute smile of hers and her whole Carole King singer/songwriter vibe is cool too. If she won, I'd be happy.

:2cents:

What is the root of all evil?

American Idol or High School?

Tune in at 10:30 on comedy central to find out. My vote definintely goes to American Idol.

:laugh:

I'll put a vote in for American Idol.

And I'll have to change my guess judging how things are going: Syesha is out.

I actually saw Brooke White a few years ago, opening up a show for Matt Nathanson at mary washington college. She looked drunk, but she put on a pretty good show.

Although it's kind of lame how they are acting like she's a nobody from Arizona who is getting her big break on American Idol, she is still cool in my book. I am rooting for her to win, although things are looking rough for her now.

• 1 month later...
I like that Cook put some music out there that we dont know.

Archuleta is singing songs that mean something to lots of people.......so he will get the familiar vote.

I liked Cook's last song.

Plus David A. is being extremely cautious and ghey by singing Imagine again - just going for the popular vote.

Archived