Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Idol: 2008

Skins247

Damn I'm glad Archuleta didn't win something about that kid gets under my skin

You are not the only one, from an American Idol insider:

“David Archuleta comes to the table with his own plans and agenda. His father is another shade of Joe Simpson, and it can only spell disaster,” the source said.

Cook, on the other hand, “is extremely manageable” in the opinion of the producers, said the source. “The show has enough on its hands trying to get ratings back to where they used to be. The last thing they want is a rogue winner.”

It just seems Kelly Clarkson is the only show winner to actually have a career selling substantial amounts of records.

Carrie Underwood is successful too...actually I think she is the most successful so far. I may be wrong though.

Same here, although we'll see come November ;)

Just a quick thought on Fantasia: :puke:

I can't wait for a David Cook album....

QFT, especially about Fantasia's recent Idol performance. On the flip side, she got good reviews for her work in "The Color Purple" on Broadway.

We'll I'm glad Cook won. I'll probably buy a Cook album, I just hope they don't screw with his style and turn him into a total turd.

That's my greatest fear too. I would think they are smart enough not to mess with him and force him to put out a bubble gum pop album.

Wow, what a huge mistake. Cook over Archeletta?? I guess people base their choices off of something other than quality of voice and talent.

I can name a few who should have won, but didn't who had the better voice.

Clay Aiken, David(this year)

Why did fantasia win?? She was absolutely horrible. The worst singer I have ever heard.

David archeletta was on almost every night. He was by far the better singer and yet Cook wins. It appears to me that Idol has become a popularity contest not based on talent but on who can sell an image. Case in point, That Bob marley look-a-like stayed longer than more talented people on the show.

I have to say that this is probably the 2nd season where the better singer didn't win. really sad.

Wow, what a huge mistake. Cook over Archeletta?? I guess people base their choices off of something other than quality of voice and talent.

Why did fantasia win?? She was absolutely horrible. The worst singer I have ever heard.

David archeletta was on almost every night. He was by far the better singer and yet Cook wins. It appears to me that Idol has become a popularity contest not based on talent but on who can sell an image. Case in point, That Bob marley look-a-like stayed longer than more talented people on the show.

I have to say that this is probably the 2nd season where the better singer didn't win. really sad.

Archuleta is the better singer, but Cook is the better overall package.

Cook can perform, Archuleta, not so much.

They will both be huge, don't worry.

You are not the only one, from an American Idol insider:

“David Archuleta comes to the table with his own plans and agenda. His father is another shade of Joe Simpson, and it can only spell disaster,” the source said.

Cook, on the other hand, “is extremely manageable” in the opinion of the producers, said the source. “The show has enough on its hands trying to get ratings back to where they used to be. The last thing they want is a rogue winner.”

Whatever it takes, go Cook :cheers: (Although, I still think Carly Smithson had the best talent out of the group)

What happened to the hot Fillipina babe? She was the most talented of all of them IMHO.

**Disclaimer** In my mind, the only good thing about AI is when the season ends. Well, maybe not the only thing....eventually the show will have to be cancelled, so make that two good things. In any event, I got dragged into a couple of episodes this season because my Sister-in-Law was living with us and simply had to watch it. I have already mourned the brain cells lost due to this and scrubbed all over with Brillo pads.

David archeletta was on almost every night. He was by far the better singer and yet Cook wins. It appears to me that Idol has become a popularity contest not based on talent but on who can sell an image.

From what I've read, it's actually the opposite. Looks like a case of "jury nullification" with people voting en masse for the other guy because the judges like the Archuletta so much.

Nothing I've read suggests that. I'm just adding up what I've been reading.

Sad? It's a glorified reality show and David Archuleta is 1 Million times better off than he would have been if the show didn't exist. I wouldn't cry too many tears for a 17-year old nerd who is going to sign a record deal.

As for the "popularity contest" comment...OF COURSE IT IS! The whole point of the show is that the viewers vote the contestants on/off the show. If you wanted Simon, Paula, and Randy to just pick their next star, they could do that without the fanfare. Whenever America votes for something, it's a popularity contest.

IMHO, you couldn't be more wrong on every point in this post.

David Archeletta clearly a one dimensional singer. Beyond ballads, he can't hold a tune.

The "One" time he tried, Simon slammed him.

Jason Castro may not have been the most talented singer, but by far he was the most unique which is why he had staying power. Not sure why you compare him to Bob Marley? Look a like, hardly.

Besides, it's not like the voting was even close. 12 million people can't be wrong.

:2cents:

Sorry your boy didn't win, but thank God!

Sad? It's a glorified reality show and David Archuleta is 1 Million times better off than he would have been if the show didn't exist. I wouldn't cry too many tears for a 17-year old nerd who is going to sign a record deal.

As for the "popularity contest" comment...OF COURSE IT IS! The whole point of the show is that the viewers vote the contestants on/off the show. If you wanted Simon, Paula, and Randy to just pick their next star, they could do that without the fanfare. Whenever America votes for something, it's a popularity contest.

Kinda missing my point. I understand the popularity thing, but it needs to be talent and not who people like the best or whose hair is better. Kinda like Sanjia. He was horrible and yet people kept him on just becuase they liked him or thought he was cute, the voting wasn't about talent or who was the best. That's what I dislike about Idol.

Kinda like Sanjia. He was horrible and yet people kept him on just becuase they liked him or thought he was cute

Or because Simon hated him so much. I still think there's an anti-Simon factor in the votes many times.

IMHO, you couldn't be more wrong on every point in this post.

David Archeletta clearly a one dimensional singer. Beyond ballads, he can't hold a tune.

The "One" time he tried, Simon slammed him.

Jason Castro may not have been the most talented singer, but by far he was the most unique which is why he had staying power. Not sure why you compare him to Bob Marley? Look a like, hardly.

Besides, it's not like the voting was even close. 12 million people can't be wrong.

:2cents:

Sorry your boy didn't win, but thank God!

hate to disagree, but. Cook wasn't one dimentional?? What did he do different every week but turn a song into something rockish?? Sorry but in both cases both were doing their thing.

With regard to Jason, he sucked. So beyond that, if he can't sing, why keep him on?? Which is my point. Idol has gone away from who can sing and has become who is more cute or popular or who the little girlies swoon over.

I guess I view idol as who is the best singer. David A. IMO was the better singer. I will concede to you that David C. was a better performer, but not a better singer.

And your comment on 12 million can't be wrong. We don't know if those 12 were 12 yr old jr high girls. Who IMO have not taste in music yet. My feeling is that jr high girls picked the Idol winner.

Kinda missing my point. I understand the popularity thing, but it needs to be talent and not who people like the best or whose hair is better. Kinda like Sanjia. He was horrible and yet people kept him on just becuase they liked him or thought he was cute, the voting wasn't about talent or who was the best. That's what I dislike about Idol.

I understand your point, but you can't have it both ways. In a perfect world, sure, the public would vote for the best singer. ANYTIME you open up the decision to the American public, you make it a popularity contest. Therefore, you can have a competition where judges pick the best pure talent or you can have a voting competition where America picks.

The reason the show does well is because it's inclusive and everyone can participate. So, the aspect you dislike is most likely the aspect that makes the show so popular. Personally, I liked seeing Taylor Hicks beat Chris Daughtry a few years ago. He wasn't nearly as good, but I liked his personality and how genuine he seemed. If the producers really cared about getting the best pure performer or singer, they'd take the decision out of the viewers' hands.

Having said ALL that, David Cook will outsell David Archuleta hands down.

Archived