Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Learn to drive a manual transmission(stick shift) vehicle?

DaRock

Does anyone know where to learn how to drive one? I've thought about checking the rental car companies, I've called the DMV with no luck. I would just like to learn one in case I ever needed to drive one, an emergency, etc. I had an automatic from day one and never had a stick shift car. My friends don't own one and if they do, it's a new car, like a stang or something and they don't want to teach someone on it. I just can't find anywhere to learn and practice, any ideas?

Dude, don't worry. It's not hard at all, it just takes time to get used to. The only cars Ive ever owned have been stick shift. Clutch, ease off clutch, gas, off gas, on clutch, shift, ease off clutch, gas, etc. Piece of cake. Up and to the left is first gear, second is down and to the left, third is just to the right of first, fourth is straight down from third, fifth is up and to the right of third, and reverse is straight down from fifth.

Every car I've ever owned has been a stick. Wierd thing is noone here in NJ knows how to drive one (except my wife, and that's because she spent a significant portion of her life in Arkansas).

Why not rent one for a day. (Look up "Rent a Wreck") Have a friend who knows how to drive one drive it to a vacant parking lot for you, and then coach you up as you practice/struggle through it.

How can you live in the South and be driving an automatic? :silly:

its not like you can read a book and do it....you are right, you just need to do it. im not sure you can specify a rental car in stick (dont see a reason), i know Ive never had one before.

Id find a friend who is nice enough to let you learn on their car...go to a big parking lot, worst that happens is you stall a number of times, MAYBE grind a gear once if youre bad. After 30 minutes max you'll be cruising around the lot in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear.

I learned on a stick, glad I did.

It's crazy how many cars don't even offer a manual transmission as an option anymore. Which is a shame, because they're incredibly fun to drive.

Although if I lived in a place where I sat in traffic everyday I doubt I'd want one.

Although if I lived in a place where I sat in traffic everyday I doubt I'd want one.

I used to have to drive on the highway everyday to get to school, and I had a manual car. It was perhaps the most aggravating experience of my life whenever there was a traffic jam, and I had to put the car in 1st just to move a couple feet.

On an open road, however, there's nothing like being able to have full control of your car.

Just get behind the wheel and tool around an empty parking lot for a while. If you're even halfway coordinated you'll pick it up within ten or fifteen minutes. It's embarrassing jerking along at first, but it really isn't hard to master at all.

The toughest part is starting when facing uphill,, try to find a back street with a small hill to practice starting off on.

Once you pick it up, you'll never want to drive another automatic again. It is true they suck in heavy traffic jams, but it's a small price to pay for the power and control you have.

~Bang

The other disadvantage to stick shift that no-one has mentioned, is if you injure one of your legs, ankles, or feet - you got problems. It only takes one leg to drive automatic, 2 legs for manual.

It also takes 2 hands for manual, so that limits your ability for multi-tasking.

And the theory about saving gas is a myth.

And as mentioned, heavy traffic, and stopping on inclines, declines sucks.

The other disadvantage to stick shift that no-one has mentioned, is if you injure one of your legs, ankles, or feet - you got problems. It only takes one leg to drive automatic, 2 legs for manual.

It also takes 2 hands for manual, so that limits your ability for multi-tasking.

Because we all know multi tasking is an excelent thing to be doing while you drive.:laugh: You're supposed to use two hands to drive no matter what!!!

Manual drivers pay more attention when they are driving because they have to. I can't sip a latte and check my phone messages while driving my car because I have to focus on my driving. Essentialy making me a better and more alert driver.

Because we all know multi tasking is an excelent thing to be doing while you drive.:laugh: You're supposed to use two hands to drive no matter what!!!

Manual drivers pay more attention when they are driving because they have to. I can't sip a latte and check my phone messages while driving my car because I have to focus on my driving. Essentialy making me a better and more alert driver.

So, you're tellin me you never even mess with your car stereo ? :)

What kind of "multi-tasking" are you doing? :silly:

So, you're tellin me you never even mess with your car stereo ? :)

Yes I change the stations, but I know where all the presets are and don't have to look down to change that station. My 3 button has a little notch on it so I can change the stations without looking. Also, when my car is in first, third or fifth, I don't even have to move my hand from the shift knob.

Point is, all cars come with a radio and while they can be a distraction, I'd argue that picking up a phone and sending a text message is far more dangerous. And I've seen this happen.

Dude. Get a car made this millenium with features such as a Bluetooth handsfree phone and audio controls on your steering wheel.

best practice for me was finding an empty parking lot and on level ground learning to engage the clutch without using the accelerator

You're right. Whenever I teach someone how to drive a manual, the first thing I do is have them release the clutch as slow as possible without pressing the accelerator. This allows you to find the release point of the clutch. Which is important because one of the main problems with noobs and manuals is giving it too much gas before releasing the clutch, allowing for a short clutch life span, as well as a rough ride. Overall you want to make the driver realize that very little pressing of gas is needed and you don't stomp on the gas after you shift and realease the clutch. Going up a steep hill, now that's a different story....

my celica is a manual, I am teaching Erin in the church parking lot across the street from our house.

Just go to a school or large church parking lot and drive around in circle, going from idle to movement is the most difficult thing to learn, shifting gear is a sinch.

. It's embarrassing jerking along at first, but it really isn't hard to master at all.

:laugh: When my Dad taught me how to drive a manual, (on a VW Beetle), he used to call me "Buck" because the damn car jumped so much.

He also wouldn't let me get my license, until I learned to drive a stick.

Archived