Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Learn to drive a manual transmission(stick shift) vehicle?

DaRock

Does anyone know where to learn how to drive one? I've thought about checking the rental car companies, I've called the DMV with no luck. I would just like to learn one in case I ever needed to drive one, an emergency, etc. I had an automatic from day one and never had a stick shift car. My friends don't own one and if they do, it's a new car, like a stang or something and they don't want to teach someone on it. I just can't find anywhere to learn and practice, any ideas?

Dude, take it from me, you can't really learn from anyone else. You just have to do it on your own. I once bought a stick before I ever even knew how to drive one. I learned how to drive it REAL fast! Its really not that hard at all to learn. But I must say I haven't owned one in many many years. And don't plan to. Its much easier to drive an auto.

Technically I know how to drive manual. I've never done it though. And honestly, I can't see any good reason for why I would want to do it. I got enough going on without having to worry about changing gears and all that mess. I'm perfectly fine laying back and chilling in the car. I don't need another headache in my life. It just doesn't look fun to me.

But to each his own. And yeah dude, find a friend or relative or something. People aren't going to have a problem with you testing it out.

I swear, it's frickin' CHILD ABUSE that parents don't teach their kids stick shift. I loved learning, it was so much fun...although my dad decided to teach me on his touchy mustang...on a gravel hill by our house. I would spin out and spit gravel everywhere till I got the hang of it, my dad thought it was hilarious.

But seriously, ask a friend who drives stick if they can give you a lesson. I had several friends who were more than happy to help me out when I was learning.

Does anyone know where to learn how to drive one? I've thought about checking the rental car companies, I've called the DMV with no luck. I would just like to learn one in case I ever needed to drive one, an emergency, etc. I had an automatic from day one and never had a stick shift car. My friends don't own one and if they do, it's a new car, like a stang or something and they don't want to teach someone on it. I just can't find anywhere to learn and practice, any ideas?

I learned to drive a stick in 30 minutes, so there is hope for you. My brother-in-law was selling a Mazda 626 and I wanted it as a 2nd car - we made arrangements for me to purchase it and he forgot to tell me and I forgot to ask if it was an automatic (not!) so the day he delivered the car to me he took me driving and within 30 minutes I was driving a "stick" on my own.

You can practice the mechanics while sitting down in a chair in your driving position. Left hand on the steering wheel, right hand on the gear shift in Neutral (always in the middle) with your right foot off of the gas, but in position) Press your left foot down as if you are pressing on the clutch and into 1st gear (up and to the left release your foot slowly off the clutch while you simultaneously give it some gas, when it's time to shift (the engine will let you know it's time! if you don't know) push your left foot down on the clutch and move the gear down and to the left for 2nd gear and give it gas, then repeat...clutch, gear 3 (up & to the right of 1) then gas, clutch, gear 4 (down & to the right of 2) then gas, clutch, gear 5 (up & far right) then gas.

Good Luck!

:helmet: HHTR :helmet:

I HAD to learn on a stick. My parents only owned manual transmissions. 1980 Chevy Monza. The scariest part was being on a hill at a dead stop. I picked it up real quick, but I've had nothing but automatics since then. More practical in traffic and I really think changing gears is a headache.

I hadn't driven a stick for about 6 years and got a job at U-Haul my senior year of college. I had never driven anything bigger than a pickup truck and now I was driving 26 and 17 foot manual transmission trucks with 12 foot trailers on the back. We frequently had to transfer trucks from one dealer to another and pick up trucks at the shop. I was surprised how easy I got back into it. 26 foot internationals were smooth.

My wife drove sticks all her life until she moved the U.S. Now she wants a stick for her next car. I guess I'll have to get used to it all over again.

Dude, take it from me, you can't really learn from anyone else. You just have to do it on your own. I once bought a stick before I ever even knew how to drive one. I learned how to drive it REAL fast! Its really not that hard at all to learn. But I must say I haven't owned one in many many years. And don't plan to. Its much easier to drive an auto.

I did close to this, my bro had shown me how to drive one when I was 16, but I didn't buy my own vehicle untill I was 19 and that was a 5spd Ranger. I had someone from the car lot take me around and show me once how to get into 1st, it was just experience from that point on. The first day was the worst.

I drive an automatic now since last may, and while I love it, I was driving stick for so long that I find myself not knowing what to do with my right hand while driving cause I learned to drive with only my left. I am no worse of a driver for driving an automatic, and it is nice to not have to always be busy with manually shifting gears, especially in this traffic.

Used to be the advantage was better gas mileage, but I guess that's changing nowadays with the computer chips. A couple things I like, especially if you tend to drive you cars into the ground like I do, is when the battery or starter suddenly fail, you can just roll and pop start it and off you go.

One day I left my lights on and came out and my '88 Chevy Nova was completely dead. I was able to pop start it, but the battery would not charge. So I drove home in the rain: No lights, no radio, no turn signals, no dash meters, no dash lights, no wipers. But I made it home.

Probably wouldn't work these days though.

Archived