Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

7 Killed As Car Hits Maryland Drag-Race Crowd

Westcoastskinfan

ACCOKEEK, Md. (AP) - A car plowed into a crowd that had gathered to watch a drag race on a suburban road early Saturday, killing seven people and injuring at least four, police said.

Witnesses said they had just watched two cars in the illegal street race speed past when a car without any lights on came up behind them and veered into a crowd of about 50.

"There were just bodies everywhere; it was horrible," said Crystal Gaines, 27, whose father was among the dead.

Gaines said she grabbed her child but could not help her father, William Gaines Sr., 61.

"He wasn't breathing, he wasn't moving," she said. "His body was in pieces."

A white sedan hit people standing on the side of Route 210 around 3:40 a.m., Prince George's County Police Cpl. Clinton Copeland said, but it wasn't clear whether that was one of the cars involved in the race. A tractor-trailer that came by shortly afterward may also have struck someone on the road as it tried to avoid the crash, he said.

"It's probably one of the worst scenes I've seen," Copeland said. "This is a situation that could have been avoided, and it's a very tragic situation."

Four people were taken to hospitals, Copeland said. Their conditions weren't immediately known.

Hours after the accident on the divided highway in Accokeek, bodies covered in white sheets were scattered along what police were calling a 200-yard crime scene. Some were in the road, while others were on the shoulder.

The sedan came to a rest on an embankment about 150 feet from where the crowd had been. It had a crumpled front and hood, and the roof had partially collapsed.

The driver of the white sedan had been interviewed and did not appear to be seriously hurt, but a passenger was among the dead, Police Capt. Donald Frick said.

Authorities were working to identify the victims by showing digital photos of them to bystanders who said loved ones had been hurt. John Courtney said after viewing one of the images that his brother, Mark, 33, was among the dead.

"He liked going to the race track, watching races," Courtney said. "It's going to take a toll on my family for a long time."

Investigators had "more questions than answers," Copeland said.

Route 210 has two lanes in each direction and traffic lights about every 150 to 200 yards in Accokeek, about 20 miles south of Washington. In that area, the road is flanked by some businesses but has little traffic in the early hours, Copeland said.

"There were just bodies everywhere; it was horrible," said Crystal Gaines, 27, whose father was among the dead.

Gaines said she grabbed her child but could not help her father, William Gaines Sr., 61.

What a fun Friday night for father and daughter...watching an illegal drag race at 3:30 a.m. :doh:

edit: apparently she also had her child out watching the illegal drag race at 3:30 a.m. I think someone needs to call Social Services.

What the ****??

I used to go drag race and spectate right next to Metro in New Carrolton. I was young and stupid, but it was better than getting drunk or doing drugs when I was younger. If I ever do that again, it will be at a real race track. I've heard many stories over the years, each one of them very sad.

I used to go drag race and spectate right next to Metro in New Carrolton. I was young and stupid, but it was better than getting drunk or doing drugs when I was younger. If I ever do that again, it will be at a real race track. I've heard many stories over the years, each one of them very sad.

I don't know. If I had a child I think I'd rather have him home drinking a beer or smoking a joint verses going to an illegal drag race. Maybe that's just me.

yea, same. Maybe the guy means drug/alchohol abuse.

Well I'd still rather my kid be doing that than having machines weighing a ton and a half wizzing by his knees. At least with alcohol and drug abuse, chances are you can work on him getting out of the habit. If I found out my kid was at one of these things I'd have to sit down and take a breather. If he's on drugs, I'd talk to him and get him some help. Get some healthy sleep, go to 75/80 racetrack when it opens in the morning.

I live 1 mile from accokeek but have a waldorf address, and was outside around 4 letting my dogs out and having a smoke before turning in. I could hear engines being revved like crazy and tires squeeling.

PG Police dont do radar or anything like it on 210 (which has 3 lanes each way , the article said 2) I got a ticket once for parking in front of the starbucks in accokeek, i was inside for 1 min, and i told the cop "shouldnt you be doing radar on 210 instead of giving me this measly ticket? cause people drive like idiots on that road" He looked at me like i was high on drugs, it pissed me off.

Maybe NOW they will get a clue in PG county down here, sad it takes something like this, and ive seen those kids all in a parking lot late at night in accokeek, lots of ricers around here.

Where is the outrage over the driver and punishment he should get ?

Really I don't see much of a difference between the driver himself and all the spectators there. They were all involved, in some way, in facilitating this thing. That being said, I still feel bad for everyone involved and wished that it had never happened. Don't get me wrong on that.

Really I don't see much of a difference between the driver himself and all the spectators there. They were all involved, in some way, in facilitating this thing. That being said, I still feel bad for everyone involved and wished that it had never happened. Don't get me wrong on that.

To a point you're correct, the people were also foolish for being there, and putting themselves in that vulnerable position.

But they weren't doing anything illegally.

And besides being illegal, street racing should be elevated as a more serious offense, with more serious consequences. These incidents are happening too much.

The driver probably won't be at fault unless he didn't have on his lights like the washington post is stating. The racers will be in trouble for illegal street racing and somehow connected to the deaths of the spectators. They are at fault for creating an unofficial event. In Florida the authorties charge the spectators as well as the race drivers with illegal street racing. Thats what they should do in Maryland to at least keep people from coming out to view street races.

Doesn't anyone learn that nothing good ever happens after midnight in public places? This is why parents set curfews. It's not that parents want to be buzzkillers, it's just nothing good ever happens by being away from home after midnight, and that's true from the moment you are born until you die.

Sounded like the driver was a 3rd party not connected at all to the race or the spectators.

Now that I checked the whole story, you're right, the driver that plowed through the crowd wasn't involved in the race, he was coming the other way and blinded by the tire smoke from the actual racers.....the racers should still be held responsible.

Racing there on 210 between Accokeek and Bryans Road have been going on forever. Nothing new. Everyone goes 80 between the two towns as its about 3 miles of straight 4 lane road with limited traffic. Perfect drag strip. Why PG county does nothing about it is beyond me. It's right as PG ends and Charles County begins.

Archived