Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UPDATED: JLC: Smith Takes The Job With The Skins (World Famous League Sources Merge)

Larry Brown #43

This hire is not about what Tenn offense did it is about Zorn getting the guy he wants to help him teach the offense. And since Zorn did not get to pick most of the staff it's good that he can get a couple people he knows on the staff to help him install the offense.

Why would he get a first baseman who I never remember sliding to teach the guys how to do it properly? Why not an ex-QB who was a scrambler? All I remember about Olerud was that he wore his batting helmet while playing the field. And that him a Galaragga flirted with .400 for a summer.

That said, JC needs the slip-n-slide drill more than anyone in the league, and I hope to see Brady Anderson or some other washed up Oriole come in and show him what's what.

As for Smith, if Fischer kept him around that long, he must be doing something right.

LOL:laugh:

Well, I was kinda hoping to get someone who has already been an OC before. Considering our HC hasnt even been one (except for 2 weeks)

Sorry you didn't get what you hoped for, but I am sure when you are ever named as a head coach you can chose your own assistants. :laugh:

The offensive cordinator of the Titans was Norm Chow not Sherman. Sherman was the running backs coach and as someone else already pointed out they have been a fantastic rushing team, maybe this is not the Titans but I read somewhere on the site that the Titans have produced a 1000 yard back like the past 7 years and he has been there for all those years. Is this the Titans or was that the Seahawks?

Was he the offensive coordinator in Tennessee? If so, didn't their offense kinda suck on the whole? Sure, they had a strong running game, but their passing game sucked. I guess we'll see. I'm excited about Stump, but I guess I'm neutral about Smith. I'm still glad that Bugel's staying though.
:laugh: I guess that I'm a little worse off than you S. The first thing that I thought about was, what makes a coach that has been coaching a team for 13 years just up and move his family (if he even has one) to Washington after all of that time? Money. I hate thinking like that, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

And as for Buges, I love the man to death for what he has done for this organization in the past when I was just a pup. But, he just has not been able to coach up any of the young talent that we have on the team right now. And I'm thinking that we are going to be picking up some young studs on the o-line this season and Buges' coaching style may just be out dated or something.

But what the hell do I know? I was a running back. I don't know jack about the o-line. Go get em Buges. :)

980 AM is still reporting it as NOT official yet.

I think the Post still might not be too far off on this. As I'm understanding the situation, Smith intends to accept the job, but won't say so publicly until he has an opportunity to inform Jeff Fisher face-to-face. So if Smith is still saying he hasn't decided, it likely just means Fisher is still unavailable for whatever reason.

Smith is just showing respect to his employer of 13 years by not making a public announcement until he's informed his boss, making this more a question of "when" rather than "if." That's how I'm reading this thing anyway. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080215/SPORTS01/802150432/1027/RSS0201

Titans assistant coach Sherman Smith still hasn't made a decision on whether to accept an offer from the Redskins to become their offensive coordinator.

Smith was scheduled to meet with Titans Coach Jeff Fisher on Thursday, but the meeting didn't take place. Smith is currently assistant head coach/running backs coach for the Titans, where he's spent the past 13 seasons.

adlabel_horz.gif

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');empty.gif39383739313131363436613837386330?_RM_EMPTY_

"I need to sit down and talk to Jeff about it and hear what he has to say and go from there,'' Smith said.

Smith spent Tuesday and Wednesday in Washington, D.C., meeting with Redskins' officials, including Coach Jim Zorn, who offered him the job.

Smith and Zorn have remained close friends since their playing days with the Seattle Seahawks, where Smith starred at running back in the late 1970s and early '80s, and Zorn was the team's quarterback.

"Jim understands the decision-making process,'' Smith said. "I haven't decided, and I can't tell him anything until I talk to Jeff. Jim knows the relationship I have with the people here, and Jeff's opinion means a lot to me.''

The Washington Post reported late Thursday night that Smith was expected to accept the offer, but Smith reiterated that he had not made a final decision.

Archived