Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UPDATED: JLC: Smith Takes The Job With The Skins (World Famous League Sources Merge)

Larry Brown #43

Read some disrespect towards Buges on here!!! Just ask Chris Samuel about Joe Buges and what kind of coach he is!!!!

Anyone remember Chris's medicore play before 2004? Samuel's trouble with pass protection and false starts? I remember one game in 2003 where he false started about 6 times in the second half and one drive three times in a row taking us out of the red zone!!!

something here doesn't make sense. Smith is supposed to be an 'ambitious' guy but he has been in the same job since 1995 and has trouble deciding whether to become an OC in the NFL when the same job is NOT being offered by his current boss, Jeff Fisher? :)

maybe Smith will turn out to be that good for the team that this was worth the effort of seeing him 'wrack his brains' over this decision............but it just seems a bit strange to me.

something here doesn't make sense. Smith is supposed to be an 'ambitious' guy but he has been in the same job since 1995 and has trouble deciding whether to become an OC in the NFL when the same job is NOT being offered by his current boss, Jeff Fisher? :)

maybe Smith will turn out to be that good for the team that this was worth the effort of seeing him 'wrack his brains' over this decision............but it just seems a bit strange to me.

I think it was more about not burning a bridge. Fisher probably asked him not to accept a job until he could sit down with him, he did, and he accepted the offer. Just some loyalty if you ask me.

WTEM reported that Smith told Fisher he was staying and that only after calling Zorn back did he finally switch again and decide to come to DC :)

Smith drove EVERYONE crazy over the past 24-36 hours :laugh:

Was not aware of that. Now I understand when you say something doesn't make sense. Oh well, he is ours now.

Well, if Smitty had the descency to talk things over with his former boss before accepting his new position, that's a great sign. Obviously the new Redskins OC is a man of principles and integrity. I'll reserve judgement for now but this organization finally appears to be headed in the right direction. Smitty is no Bobby Petrino that's for sure...

"Z-man"? I love it! Totally awesome...

Why oh why would we sign anyone involved in Tenessee's offense? :puke:

When was they last time anyone feared their offense for anything but what Vince Young can do with his feet?

The Titans were one of the best rushing teams in the league last year; considering he was the runningback coach, I'd say he probably had something to do with that success.
Sherman is the RB coach of the titans and the Titans were #3 in the league for rushing.
The offensive cordinator of the Titans was Norm Chow not Sherman. Sherman was the running backs coach and as someone else already pointed out they have been a fantastic rushing team, maybe this is not the Titans but I read somewhere on the site that the Titans have produced a 1000 yard back like the past 7 years and he has been there for all those years. Is this the Titans or was that the Seahawks?

Not that this settles any debates, but the why aside from the fact that the HC knows and wants the guy, those are some reasons that your answer your drive by one-liner. Yoou'd have seen them if you'd bother reading just the 2-3 pages before the one you posted in; a practice which helps a poster look a little less clue-free.

WTEM reported that Smith told Fisher he was staying and that only after calling Zorn back did he finally switch again and decide to come to DC :)

Smith drove EVERYONE crazy over the past 24-36 hours :laugh:

I was wanting to hear soon though I'm not one who takes media reports from "unknown league sources" too seriously. I don't know much about this guy. But even though I could see good reasons based on what I do know for him to have declined, I am more conmfortable with his acceptance.

A rejection would have been an issue for the HC I would think, and left me wondering a bit anway. And it would make for additional wading through the reactions where we're ****ed, but then that happens either way on how every issue breaks according to many posters so never mind that last one. :silly::D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3248425

Redskins complete staff, hire Titans' Smith to run offense

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Redskins completed their coaching staff under new coach Jim Zorn, hiring Sherman Smith as offensive coordinator Friday.

Smith comes from the Tennessee Titans, where he was the running backs coach since 1995 as well as an assistant head coach for the last two seasons.

"It was a hard decision because I couldn't make a bad decision," Smith said.

Smith said he was drawn by the chance to reunite with ex-teammate Zorn. The two played together for the Seahawks in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

"The opportunity to work with Jim, the opportunity to develop further as a coach and in the coordinator position and to be a part of the Redskins' organization, I'm looking forward to that," Smith said.

Smith received an offer from the Redskins when he visited Washington on Tuesday, then returned to Tennessee to consider his options. He'll join his new team at the NFL combine next week.

Smith will replace the person who hired him. Zorn was brought to Washington last month to be the offensive coordinator, then was promoted to head coach last Saturday.

Zorn said earlier this week that he would call the plays if Smith accepted the coordinator position.

"He does not want to call the plays," Zorn said. "And I want to call the plays."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Archived