Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

more dr. z and redskins HOF news: says D. Green not a lock for the HOF

carter23

Do you think invading Iraq was the right thing to do knowing what we know now?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think invading Iraq was the right thing to do knowing what we know now?

• Yes
    • No

Just think of how many receivers he shut down. He made a living on the other teams #1 receiver. He forced an entire offense to stay on one side of the field.

I am so sick of this crap. Green and Monk are the finest examples at their positions. They played with class and let the thugs do the trash talking. The HOF is a pathetic joke. When Swann, Irvin, and Stallworth are in, but no Monk, then you know it's a joke.

Just watch, this year it will be Carter, and no Redskins. We will not see a Redskin in the HOF in many years.

Yes he only has 2, but I did not know this,

In his prime, Green ran the 40-yard dash in 4.125 seconds. At training camp in 1986, he unofficially ran a 4.09 40-yard dash.

Yeah I got it off of Wikipedia, but if that is true that is ridiculous.

Another reason Green should be in the HOF because Jerry Rice said he was the hardest CB he ever went against. And he shut Moss down during that 98 season when he tore everybody else up.

Actually, he does have 3 rings. 2 superbowl winner rings, and 1 superbowl loser ring. Just to be technical. :D:D

Nothing would surprise me with the HoF voters, anymore.

The only player in the HoF from the Redskins glory years (4 SB appearances, 3 wins) is Riggins, and he was only there for the first two (he retired in '85).

There is this logjam of Redskin players from that glorious era that are starting to crowd the HoF door, and they just can't get in.

I agree with others. Even though I'm not a conspiracy minded person, if Green, of ALL people, can't get in this Saturday, there is truly something very very rotten going on.

It seems to me that the reasons why our best players don't make it is because they played on the wrong team. How many people think that if Monk, and the remaining candidates played for Dallas that they would be in? I sure do and to have some fat non athletic "journalist" decide who gets inducted is a totally retarded process. I mean that's like letting kids decide who should be elected to the White House. We all know the HOF process is about as ass backwards as you can get.

You know what I can't understand? We went to four Super Bowls in the span of a decade and won three of them, yet noone mentions the Redskins as one of the dominant teams of the era. All they talk about is the 49ers, and the 85 Bears.

We have one player from that era in the hall of fame, John Riggins. Explain that to me. What about our great offensive line? What about Monk? What about Charles Mann or Dexter Manley or Wilbur Marshall. I don't know what it is with the writers, but they absolutely either disregard, or hate the Washington Redskins.

It makes no sense, they put Steelers' in there like I eat popcorn, and Cowboys' just have to show up for the ceremony. It's a bunch of bull****. I've never been, nor will I ever go the hall of shame....because a bunch of jock-sniffing, agenda keeping dorks who've never even played the game determine who goes in and when.

Darrell has 2 rings - his first year, 83, they lost to the Raiders and then won in 87 & 91.

The signature play thing is a joke.... there are dozens for Darrell... If there ever was a lock, it shoud be #28.

The only downside to his career is that Irvin and Roy Green owned him.

I would not go so far to say that Roy Green "owned " him. Sure he may have won a few battles, but then again even the greatest of all time in any position lost a few battles. Irvin only dominated in the superbowl years of the cowboys and Darrell outlasted him in the league. Interesting thing is Roy Green played Offense and Defense fulltime before Deion Sanders tried it. And when he did play offense, it was only for a few plays....

Lets see.

Green

-Superbowl wins? Yes

-Big plays in big games? Yes

-Talked to Media (Most important factor when voting for HOF :( )? Yes

-Crazy long career at a position where guys don't last that long? Yes

-Clean Player? Yes

-Cleaner off the field? Yes

It should be the easiest vote since Elway or Montana.

I usually don't get to upset about this sort of thing BUT if Green dosnt make it then there is no point in continuing the process of electing hall of Famers.

I would not go so far to say that Roy Green "owned " him. Sure he may have won a few battles, but then again even the greatest of all time in any position lost a few battles. Irvin only dominated in the superbowl years of the cowboys and Darrell outlasted him in the league. Interesting thing is Roy Green played Offense and Defense fulltime before Deion Sanders tried it. And when he did play offense, it was only for a few plays....

Exactly. Darrell Green was getting to be in his 30's when irvin really turned it on.

Plus, even if Green never owned Irvin, COCAINE DID.

Exactly. Darrell Green was getting to be in his 30's when irvin really turned it on.

Plus, even if Green never owned Irvin, COCAINE DID.

To further illustrate:

Irvin had 5 truly exceptional years: 1991-1995.

Darrell Green was 31-35 during those years.

Deion Sanders retired at 33.

Lester Hayes retired at 31.

Rod Woodson stopped playing corner at 33.

You know what I can't understand? We went to four Super Bowls in the span of a decade and won three of them, yet noone mentions the Redskins as one of the dominant teams of the era. All they talk about is the 49ers, and the 85 Bears.

We have one player from that era in the hall of fame, John Riggins. Explain that to me. What about our great offensive line? What about Monk? What about Charles Mann or Dexter Manley or Wilbur Marshall. I don't know what it is with the writers, but they absolutely either disregard, or hate the Washington Redskins.

It makes no sense, they put Steelers' in there like I eat popcorn, and Cowboys' just have to show up for the ceremony. It's a bunch of bull****. I've never been, nor will I ever go the hall of shame....because a bunch of jock-sniffing, agenda keeping dorks who've never even played the game determine who goes in and when.

I heard Peter King mention about a few months ago that the 2 Super Bowls in the 80's are considered a Fluke since they were won in Strike related seasons. I think that might be a reason why they don't consider our team as dominant.

It can't be for a lack of signiture plays.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lZVp90P6GYM

here is one that pops into my head immediately. 2 more, running down tony dorsett, and the goaline stand against the Vikings in the NFC championship game.

The signature play thing is a crock. Bottom line is, if the voters want to keep someone out, they'll put their empty heads together and agree on some bogus reason to keep a guy out.

Most of the excuses they use to keep Monk out aren't even true, and the very same excuses could have been used to keep many others out of the Hall, but they let them in anyway.

I have to admit it - I will be surprised if Green does not get in on his first ballot. As unfair and flawed as I think the selection process is, I don't think anyone can honestly look at Green's resume and accomplishments and say that he doesn't deserve first ballot recognition. Maybe Mike Quick will argue against him (as I recall, Quick was Green's inexplicable Achilles heel, although I might be misremembering that).

If Green doesn't get in, I'd be surprised. Would I care, though? No. Not at all.

The hall of fame is a joke. Green getting in, not getting in - it doesn't change that. To discuss the HOF is to give it meaning, which it just doesn't have. Without being able to fairly argue against Monk being denied admittance over these MANY years now, the HOF has completely lost any credibility it once had. As I've stated before, letting Monk in MANY years later wouldn't assuage what has already occurred.

I'm beyond caring what a bunch of blowhards think with regard to who were the best players in the league. Their opinions are worthless to me, as they can't defend the ridiculous assertion that Monk should have been denied entry to this point. Thus, the whole HOF is tainted, and I have no plans to visit Canton, ever.

I have gone on record to say i do not believe Green nor Monk nor Grimm nor any other 80s Redskin star will ever make the HoF...not that they don't deserve the recognition but just that they will never make it .

Who holds the super bowl record for yards rushed in a single game . I always thought it was Timmy Smith but I remember on more than one graphic in the past as Marcus Allen .. with a little asterix next to smiths name.

As to why Green will not make it in (now let me state I think these reasons are totally bogus but we may hear them come saturday) :

How many seasons has Green lead the leauge in interceptions - None Everson Walls did Dallas did for three years

54 career interceptions is piffling and hardly HoF worthy compared to Paul Krause and his 81

Did he ever intecept 4 passes in a game ? At least 9 other people have

How many intercpetions did he take to the house ..etc etc

Archived