Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

more dr. z and redskins HOF news: says D. Green not a lock for the HOF

carter23

Do you think invading Iraq was the right thing to do knowing what we know now?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think invading Iraq was the right thing to do knowing what we know now?

• Yes
    • No

I have gone on record to say i do not believe Green nor Monk nor Grimm nor any other 80s Redskin star will ever make the HoF...not that they don't deserve the recognition but just that they will never make it .

Who holds the super bowl record for yards rushed in a single game . I always thought it was Timmy Smith but I remember on more than one graphic in the past as Marcus Allen .. with a little asterix next to smiths name.

As to why Green will not make it in (now let me state I think these reasons are totally bogus but we may hear them come saturday) :

How many seasons has Green lead the leauge in interceptions - None Everson Walls did Dallas did for three years

54 career interceptions is piffling and hardly HoF worthy compared to Paul Krause and his 81

Did he ever intecept 4 passes in a game ? At least 9 other people have

How many intercpetions did he take to the house ..etc etc

You know, you're right; I forgot about that.

I have heard this mentioned before, that's true.

Of course, as we know, it's mainly because when you've got an option to throw against Martin Mayhew (not a bad CB) or Darrell Green, who are you going to go after? It was really no contest. Every year, "the other CB" (like Wilburn, Mayhew, etc) would get a ton of INTs due to getting a ton of opportunities. And wow, there are so many crucial times when Green came through in the clutch. Unbelievable.

But you're absolutely right, those stats could of course be used against him. Oh well. I guess I'd be less surprised now.

I don't know what will happen Saturday but I've always said that when it comes to post season and post career accolades the Skins players always get shafted. Monk has already been disrespected even if he gets in this time. The Cowbums secondary this season has gotten torched and they send 3 fourths of their secondary. Its crazy. They don't even mention Chris Hanburgers' name and he's like a 9 time pro bowler. Its ridiculous. The Skins had the #3 ranked def a couple seasons back and send 1 player. Shawn Springs had six sacks and 5 ints yet he doesn't go to the pro bowl. Its a joke.

All that being said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Grimm, Monk or Green doesn't get in. I'm getting used to it now. The blatant disrespect. :2cents:

I have gone on record to say i do not believe Green nor Monk nor Grimm nor any other 80s Redskin star will ever make the HoF...not that they don't deserve the recognition but just that they will never make it .

Who holds the super bowl record for yards rushed in a single game . I always thought it was Timmy Smith but I remember on more than one graphic in the past as Marcus Allen .. with a little asterix next to smiths name.

As to why Green will not make it in (now let me state I think these reasons are totally bogus but we may hear them come saturday) :

How many seasons has Green lead the leauge in interceptions - None Everson Walls did Dallas did for three years

54 career interceptions is piffling and hardly HoF worthy compared to Paul Krause and his 81

Did he ever intecept 4 passes in a game ? At least 9 other people have

How many intercpetions did he take to the house ..etc etc

Timmy Smith broke Marcus Allen's then superbowl record of 183 yards with his 204 yards.

Ok, off topic a bit, but seriously...why the frick was there an asterix by Smith's name? It's not like he was he juiced on steroids for frick sake.

I heard Peter King mention about a few months ago that the 2 Super Bowls in the 80's are considered a Fluke since they were won in Strike related seasons. I think that might be a reason why they don't consider our team as dominant.

I love this argument.

They were "fluke"? So during those strike years, I guess the other 27 teams all got together at the annual owners meeting and said, "Nah, we don't want to compete for the Super Bowl this year...let's just give it to that guy down in Washington." :doh:

If Dallas or Elway won either of those super bowls, i doubt seriously you'd hear anyone in the media calling it a "fluke".

If they dare pull the "signature play" card...

I can think of at least three "signature plays" right off the top of my head.

Signature plays (off the top of my head):

Dorsett run down in '83.

Eric Dickerson run down (in '86 playoffs).

Punt return vs. Chicago in '87 Div playoffs.

Goal line stand against Minn in '87 NFC Championship.

INT return for TD against Lions in '91 NFC Championship.

Unfortunately, i can already hear the detractors say, "Well yeah, but how many of those came in a Super Bowl?" :doh: :doh:

Green will get in. Don't worry.

The only thing to be worried about is if some people balk at Green initially, but make some concession to vote for him at the expense of Monk.

Monk is the question mark. And if the case is made successfully for Green (and it will), there may be some hesitancy to go with Monk too.

Signature plays (off the top of my head):

Dorsett run down in '83.

Eric Dickerson run down (in '86 playoffs).

Punt return vs. Chicago in '87 Div playoffs.

Goal line stand against Minn in '87 NFC Championship.

INT return for TD against Lions in '91 NFC Championship.

Unfortunately, i can already hear the detractors say, "Well yeah, but how many of those came in a Super Bowl?" :doh: :doh:

Let's not forget the Curtis Martin run-down in '96. Green was 36 and Martin was 23 at the time.

Timmy Smith broke Marcus Allen's then superbowl record of 183 yards with his 204 yards.

Marcus Allen had 191 yards against us in SB 18

Ok, off topic a bit, but seriously...why the frick was there an asterix by Smith's name? It's not like he was he juiced on steroids for frick sake.

There is no asterisk. I have no idea where he got that from. There are no asterisks in the NFL record books. 22 carries 204 yds and 2 TD's. 60 minute game fair and square.

As a little kid, I always looked up to D. Green because he was not only an exceptional football player, but an exceptional person. For him to NOT get elected (which I have to doubt seriously) would be an insult and I will defiantly not see Canton as the home for exceptional football (save Sammy Baugh and the other Redskins enshrined)

All that you need to know about the HOF is that there are more HOFers from the 70's Cardinals teams that never won Jack than there are 80's Redskins who were a Super Bowl XVIII win vs. the Raiders from being the Team of the Decade.

Not a sniff for Jacoby, the only OLT other than Anthony Munoz to truly dominate his position in the 80's. And, let's be clear, Jacoby played in NFC East vs. LT and not in the pansy AFC Central.

Grimm, the best OG since John Hannah? Nyet.

Art Monk, the All-Time leading receiver in the NFL, with more receptions than any HOF member currently enshrined? Nada.

Gary Clark, with better stats than all but one or two current HOFers? Nope.

Dexter Manley? Never.

Chris "The Hangman" Hanburger, the 9-time 70's Pro Bowler from an era when that wasn't a joke? Not even.

If Darrell doesn't get in it is nothing new under the sun. It just continues a tradition of hate.

The Hall of Fame is a joke. Unless and until it cleans up the voting process, it holds no attraction for me. It doesn't deserve Art or Darrell.

Another reason Green should be in the HOF because Jerry Rice said he was the hardest CB he ever went against. And he shut Moss down during that 98 season when he tore everybody else up.

Yes he did shut Moss down (His rookie season, an outstand one). I remeber that game, on one play, Darrell defended the same pass twice, after batting the ball away it kind of arced up in the air towards the endzone, Moss had

got into position "again" to catch it, Darrell seen it and burst back into the play and smacked the ball down.

About a year or two later Moss commented that Darrell and some other DB were the best he ever played!!

Archived