Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Todd McShay Mock Draft (Updated-Merged)

SkinsNoles21

He's a workout warrior, but when Coach Zorn was asked about what kind of player he wanted to draft, he spoke of a really big WR who can get that jump ball and move the chains to complement our other smaller receivers. In that mock I believe, McShay has Minnesota taking Sweed. With Berrian in the fold, I think they address another need, with Sweed falling to us at 21.

He's a good athlete with speed, good size and good hands. Route running might be something that needs a lot of work. Haven't seen him projected in the first round until recently.

But he seems to fit the bill for what Zorn said he's looking for.

first off- he's slightly shorter than 6'2'' and his official 40 time is 4.40.... which is fine with me- but here's the red flag- his vertical leap was 28 inches... easily one of the worst verticals of ANY receiver in this draft. (much less a potential first round pick)

i agree we need someone running routes who is eye-level with our QB.... and devin thomas is not our guy.

We go by BPA in the first round, Cerrato has said as much. This is why we took Landry last year. So whomever we draft with the first is going to be the BPA at that position, rather than simply a player who fills the biggest need. So we mite not even draft a WR or a D-lineman in the first, it could very well be an O-lineman, LBer, or CB. None of us will really know what position we will look at until the day of the draft when we know who is still avaialble to us.

30-50 catches his rookie year would be awesome

that is if he plays a full year. he still cant even use his wrist so there are no guarantees that he will be able to go full speed in mini camps or training camp.

that could work to our advantage if he slips to the second but i think that if he does he is gone long before we pick.

Yes.

I have a feeling Sweed will be available in the 2nd round.

I don't but Manningham might well be after his 40 time.

I think Sweed would be an excellent pick at #21 but I am hoping that one of the better defensive or offensive lineman is available and we wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to draft a wideout.

He's a good athlete with speed, good size and good hands. Route running might be something that needs a lot of work. Haven't seen him projected in the first round until recently.

But he seems to fit the bill for what Zorn said he's looking for.

That is because of his good combine. This guy is a no-no. Could he be good? Possibly. But...the guy had ONE productive year as a Junior at MSU and then declares for the draft after it. As a Sophomore he appeared in the first 10 games and had a mind blowing 6 CATCHES. I think Zorn and company are smart enough to pass on a guy like that.

Roy Williams much > Sweed. No way you spend a No. 1 on Sweed if Williams has been valued at a 2. Besides my gut tells me Mannigham will run a sub 4.5 at his pro day and end up in B & G. Mannigham possesses the key talent for success in the NFL ... separation ability ... he will a pro bowler for sure.

Roy Williams much > Sweed. No way you spend a No. 1 on Sweed if Williams has been valued at a 2. Besides my gut tells me Mannigham will run a sub 4.5 at his pro day and end up in B & G. Mannigham possesses the key talent for success in the NFL ... separation ability ... he will a pro bowler for sure.

If Manningham greatly upgrades his speed numbers and also gains about 15 lbs then he could be worth a 1st rounder. He may be able to run by college CBs but at that weight he is going to have a pretty hard time dealing with press coverage by NFL CBs.

Sorry Mr. Tim ... if you watch the tapes you don't want Mannigham to gain any weight ... he is cat quick at 6', 200 lbs. ... perfect for the WCO and runs back kicks. The risk/value ratio is low enough to warrant picking him at 21. He will play immediately and contribute.

Sorry Mr. Tim ... if you watch the tapes you don't want Mannigham to gain any weight ... he is cat quick at 6', 200 lbs. ... perfect for the WCO and runs back kicks. The risk/value ratio is low enough to warrant picking him at 21. He will play immediately and contribute.

Uh...what? At the combine he came in at 5-11 and 181 lbs.

I wouldn't mind Sweed or Hardy, they are only around an inch different.

I think we should take whoever has the best sepearation between sweed and hardy if it comes down to them two. Hardy is listed at around 6'7''-6'6'' and Sweed is listed at around 6'6'' as well...

I didn't really watch neither of them play ball, so I guess it comes down to whoever has the most skill and best work ethic.. thasts who we should take. (I would be pretty happy with either though)

The best player avaiable at 21 most likely will be a cornerback. Cromartie, Mclotis, Talib or Flowers ... any of these will provide immediate help.

I severely doubt that Cromartie lasts past the top 15 he ran a very good 40 at the Combine and in most mocks was picked before our pick anyways. Talib or Flowers might be there though.

I wouldn't mind Sweed or Hardy, they are only around an inch different.

I think we should take whoever has the best sepearation between sweed and hardy if it comes down to them two. Hardy is listed at around 6'7''-6'6'' and Sweed is listed at around 6'6'' as well...

I didn't really watch neither of them play ball, so I guess it comes down to whoever has the most skill and best work ethic.. thasts who we should take. (I would be pretty happy with either though)

At the combine Sweed came in at about 6'4 and Hardy came in at about 6'5 1/2. I think they are both top notch athletes but the main reason I'd pick Sweed over Hardy is experience. Sweed is a 4 year starter in an NFL style offense so he is most likely going to be much better at reading coverages, finding soft spots in zones, having more polished route running ability, etc. That makes him more likely an immediate impact player at the next level (not necessarily an instant star, but could step in very quickly and do pretty well).

Hardy played on a team that didn't have anything like an NFL offense and didn't really play against great talent. He came there as a basketball player originally so he is still learning the position. He may become a very good NFL WR but I think he will need much more work before being able to be productive on an NFL team.

Another reason I go with Sweed is character and work ethic. Hardy has some questionable legal issues in the past as he was arrested for hitting his girlfriend and possibly his baby. I'm not too sure about his work ethic; I haven't read much on it to be honest. Sweed has never had any on or off the field issues. From everything I've read he is an extremely hard worker and team player. He is also a student of the game. At the combine he talked about how he watches lots of game tape of the best NFL WRs to find things that they do in order to incorporate that into his game and learn from it.

I don't think the team should take a receiver in the first round. There will be servicable WR available later in the draft. If they do select a first round WR then I think they should go for Sweed or Kelly. Both are faster and taller than Manningham. The Redskins really need someone taller than 6' for crossing and fade patterns.

I agree here.

Than you agree with ignorance. DE is a need, but not teh ONLY need. OL is more imporant than DE, but if Sweed is availible, you take him. If Dorsey falls that far, you take him. But DE is not the only option in teh 1st. To think so is quite pathetic.

Right now, Sweed is a huge talent. He will only slip to second rounnd because he was injured this season.

We CANNOT draft DE for the sake of drafting a DE. If the DE is going to be a great player then yes, otherwise, get BPA.

These callings for DE come from the same people that wanted Jamaal Anderson last season and Keneche Udeze back then.

cphil has got it right. Taking any position SIMPLY to draft that position is asking for failure.

Cromartie is looking to go top 10 now. Aqib Talib could fall to us. Snatch him up in the first then my boy MANNINGHAM in the second. I guarantee you Manningham is a star in this league.

If the Skins pick up a WR it isn't going to be Manningham. He is a bit over 5'11 and 181 lbs. The Skins have said they want a big bodied WR and that doesn't exactly fit the bill. Sorry.

Archived