Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Todd McShay Mock Draft (Updated-Merged)

SkinsNoles21

The following is my opinion of the players who were drafted in Rd. 1 and have not made a significant impact on their team. They have played in the league for at least two years. I have put DL vs. WR in the first round. By what I define as a bust, not first round material. If you were to trade a player for a first round pick, do these guys measure up to their talent? That is what I am basing my opinion on.

2003-

10 defensive linemen drafted - 8 busts

DeWayne Robertson

Jimmy Kennedy

Jonathan Sullivan

Ty Warren

Jerome McDougle

Calvin Pace

William Joseph

Tyler "the knee" Brayton

3 WR Drafted - 1 bust

Charles Rogers

2004- (Great Year for Defensive Lineman!)

6 Defensive Linemen Drafted - 2 busts

Marcus Tubbs

Jason Babin

7 Wide Receivers Drafted - 3 Busts

Rashuan Woods

Michael Jenkins

Michael Clayton

2005-

5 Defensive Linemen Drafted - 3 Busts

Travis Johnson

Marcus Spears (hasn't done ****)

Mike Patterson

6 WR Drafted- 5 Busts (3 are iffy)

Roddy White (iffy)

Mark Clayton

Matt Jones (iffy)

Mike Williams (total bust)

Troy Williamson (iffy)

2006-

7 Defensive Lineman drafted - 6 busts

Haloti Ngata

Kamerion Wimbley

Broderick Bunkley

Tamba Hali

John MCCargo

Mathias Kiwanuka ( also hasn't done ****)

1 WR Drafted - 0 Busts

According to these calculation which are my opinion only

68% of the DL drafted in the 1st round (who have played for over 2 years) are not playing up to 1st round potential*

53% of the WR Drafted in 1st round since 2003 (who have played for over 2 years) are not playing up to 1st round potential*

* Less WR have been Drafted

* Speculation as to their abilities

I now invite you to open the flood gates. :D

The following is my opinion of the players who were drafted in Rd. 1 and have not made a significant impact on their team. They have played in the league for at least two years. I have put DL vs. WR in the first round. By what I define as a bust, not first round material. If you were to trade a player for a first round pick, do these guys measure up to their talent? That is what I am basing my opinion on.

2003-

10 defensive linemen drafted - 8 busts

DeWayne Robertson

Jimmy Kennedy

Jonathan Sullivan

Ty Warren

Jerome McDougle

Calvin Pace

William Joseph

Tyler "the knee" Brayton

3 WR Drafted - 1 bust

Charles Rogers

2004- (Great Year for Defensive Lineman!)

6 Defensive Linemen Drafted - 2 busts

Marcus Tubbs

Jason Babin

7 Wide Receivers Drafted - 3 Busts

Rashuan Woods

Michael Jenkins

Michael Clayton

2005-

5 Defensive Linemen Drafted - 3 Busts

Travis Johnson

Marcus Spears (hasn't done ****)

Mike Patterson

6 WR Drafted- 5 Busts (3 are iffy)

Roddy White (iffy)

Mark Clayton

Matt Jones (iffy)

Mike Williams (total bust)

Troy Williamson (iffy)

2006-

7 Defensive Lineman drafted - 6 busts

Haloti Ngata

Kamerion Wimbley

Broderick Bunkley

Tamba Hali

John MCCargo

Mathias Kiwanuka ( also hasn't done ****)

1 WR Drafted - 0 Busts

According to these calculation which are my opinion only

68% of the DL drafted in the 1st round (who have played for over 2 years) are not playing up to 1st round potential*

53% of the WR Drafted in 1st round since 2003 (who have played for over 2 years) are not playing up to 1st round potential*

* Less WR have been Drafted

* Speculation as to their abilities

I now invite you to open the flood gates. :D

Haloti Ngata is a bust? Do you understand what the Ravens drafted him for? It wasn't for pass rush so much as to keep guys off Ray Lewis so he could make plays. I think he's done what they wanted from him.

Has Manningham declared? He might stay and put up BIG #s in the new offense.

From what I've read yes.

Why does Sweed's description remind me almost exactly of that of Rod Gardner when he was coming out? Howard, Westbrook, Gardner, Jacobs. We have not had good luck finding a WR early in the draft. Defensive Line is more important, and we've ignored it for 10 years.

#23-ROD GARDNER Clemson University Tigers 6:02.2-216

ANALYSIS

Positives... Smart receiver who uses his size and strength to gain advantage over the defensive backs...Has a very tough, physical aspect to his game, drawing comparisons to former Dallas Cowboys great Michael Irvin, as he compensates for a lack of blazing speed with his outstanding hands and power coming off the line...Quickly recovers and adjusts to the ball in flight...Gets to the off-target passes in stride and shows true aggression going for the ball in traffic...Especially effective on quick slants and hitches, but gains most of his yardage with his leg drive after the catch...Has outstanding flexibility and is a very agile and fluid open field runner...Shades and controls the defender on contact, when called upon for blocking purposes...Also has experience as a defensive back in the dime package.

Negatives... Does not possess blazing speed...Relies more on his power, rather than his juking moves, to gain extra yardage after the catch... Not a game-breaker.

:applause:

I completely disagree. Chris Wilson is Legit. He can styop the run and rush the passer. IMO.

The next time Chris Wilson stops the rush will be the first. He can speed rush the passer with an outside move. That's it. He's Chris Clemons II. Sometimes it works in obvious passing situations.

He's a one trick pony though, and no more than a temporary solution to our problems there.

Other than Hardy's height, we already have small, skinny fast guys on the roster. That was my point. We need a hulk (6-4, 225lb) with strength.

I agree with that. I just wanted to point out that size isn't everything. But it's obvious that we need one more weapon on offense and a tall, smooth, solid route-runner would be perfect.

We HAVE TO go DE with the first pick. HAVE TO.

Wide receivers in the first round have trouble written all over them... and as promising as Sweed may look to some (not me) the potential for disaster is too great.

Second round... maybe... Adrian Arrington sure looks like a risk worth taking in round 2.

I agree here.

Good point.

:cheers:

Anyone wanna bet me that Sweed slips into the 2nd/3rd round?

:D

Right now, Sweed is a huge talent. He will only slip to second rounnd because he was injured this season.

We CANNOT draft DE for the sake of drafting a DE. If the DE is going to be a great player then yes, otherwise, get BPA.

These callings for DE come from the same people that wanted Jamaal Anderson last season and Keneche Udeze back then.

dizzinator,

Ty Warren is a bust?

That's odd, I thought he was what helped make up a very quality front 7 in NE and voted defensive captain for this season.

How about SOME RESEARCH before you make these kinds of claims?

You put Kamerion Wimbley on there. Uh, didn't he have 11 sacks in his rookie year? He didn't have a good year this year but it could just be a sophomore slump.

Did you actually do ANY kind of research or do you think because someone isn't named "mario Williams" or a name you instantly recognize that they are 'busts?'

If we don't go after Roy Williams (Detroit WR) I really really want us to draft Sweed or maybe Malcolm Kelly out of Oklahoma. Regardless, we need to get a big target for Campbell. Cooley can't be his only red zone target ... :doh:

I just may blow a gasket this year if we ONCE AGAIN neglect our DLine. This is getting beyond the point of no return. We have two "OK" interior guys and one under-sized, but overachieving, DE in Carter. We need at least one of each(a starting calibur DE and a DT for depth). A DE in the first round or(if there is no DE of value at 21) draft down and generate more picks. WRs will be available in the later rounds. To waste a 1st round pick on a WR is just that...a waste, unless you are drafting top5 talent. Period. Sweed is a "nice" player but not something we need to use our first round pick on. Please, for the love of everything that is right in this world...PLEASE draft DLine talent this year. PLEASE! :cry:

Right now, Sweed is a huge talent. He will only slip to second rounnd because he was injured this season.

We CANNOT draft DE for the sake of drafting a DE. If the DE is going to be a great player then yes, otherwise, get BPA.

These callings for DE come from the same people that wanted Jamaal Anderson last season and Keneche Udeze back then.

I don't think I've ever claimed to want a DE just for the sake of one. I was firmly in the Landry camp despite Anderson and maybe Branch being potential pickups at six.

Don't dismiss the DE crowd simply because they wanted certain players in the past. Drafting a DE is a legitimate concept, especially in the first round considering the Skins haven't done so in years. And to me it doesn't even have to be a DE. Had Lavar remained healthy and effective then this wouldn't be an issue and the Skins could get by with developmental players and vets along the Dline, but since Lavar got hurt the Skins have lacked a "true" pass rusher or a guy the defense always has to account for a la Merriman or Ware.

It's high time the Skins replaced him with someone consistent enough to disrupt the game-plan.

We HAVE TO go DE with the first pick. HAVE TO.

Wide receivers in the first round have trouble written all over them... and as promising as Sweed may look to some (not me) the potential for disaster is too great.

Second round... maybe... Adrian Arrington sure looks like a risk worth taking in round 2.

If Al Saunders stayed Keenan Burton or especially Mario Manningham would be good for us. As for the 1st rounder I think Calais Campbell is our guy.

• 1 month later...

On Espn.com a updated mock draft has us taking WR Devin Thomas with the 21st pick. I thouhgt about it and he fits the WCO with his run after the catch and can satisfy our PR/KR needs along with being that big receiver opposite of Moss with Randle El in the slot. Fans on here are in love with Sweed Kelly and Hardy but they might be taken earlier and this guy looks good.

For all those combine lovers he ran a 4.3 forty and is 6' 2" 215 lbs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AHbkz0IMIeA Devin Thomas Highlights from 07-08

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3270327&univLogin02=stateChanged

Heres the Mock draft page

Archived