Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Todd McShay Mock Draft (Updated-Merged)

SkinsNoles21

Sweed may be good, but we need help on the O-line and D-line. No WR is going to amount to anything if we don't give Campbell time, and it won't matter if we can't stop the opponents Pass Rush. Olineman are better when drafted later, so that means D-Line comes first

Grab a DE with our 1st, a G/C with our 2nd, and a DT with our 3rd or 5th. That will give us more depth at DT and a better DE too. Maybe we can cut griff/daniels at the same time and save money.

I agree with this line of thinking, unless there is a projected stud at any OL position in the first round, we should go DT/DE or even CB and then just try to load up on OL/DL/ and DB's in the later rounds. Competition breeds success

I know most of our picks have been on the defensive side of the ball, and that we were pretty good defensively last year, but we need depth badly. No WR is going to come in and produce in year 1.

I wouldn't mind getting a FA WR that is not named BLlyod and signing them to a modest, incentive laden contract. But we have guys like Mix and Espy that should round out the bottom of our WR corps. had we not spent so much money and draft picks at the WR position i may think differently, but this is where we are now.

I think some no name WR's that have been around the skins for a little bit (Espy/Mix/Farris) would have more success than drafting a WR with the #1 pick and expecting them to be an immediate red zone force, that's a little too optimistic.

And remember, half the picks may never even pan out, so it is CRUCIAL that we get at least one OL'man and one DL'man from the draft. Absolutely crucial, for cap purposes as well IMO.

Scouts Inc.'s biggest needs: WR, DE, S, OT, CB

Do they even watch the games? I can't believe these morons are paid so much money for being completely retarded when it comes to simply watching like 3-4 games and seeing that our biggest problems was our oline sucking and too much pressure up the middle and our dline not being able to push the pocket or get any production out of that RDE spot.

What we need is DE OG DT and then maybe a WR and probably a corner.

Does no one care about the fact that we can't get a push up the middle to save our lives? That Carter and Wilson are sometimes nullified on the end rush because the QB is given the option of stepping up in the middle of the pocket and getting rid of the ball. Which means that we might want to look at a Pass Rushing DT, instead of another end rusher. And don't tell me the Griffin will do it, because he hasn't gotten a big push since his first season here, now our DLine is all about the run stop. DE is nice, and all, but a Pass Rush DT might make this unit much more dangerous.

I'm not sure what you're talking about bro - Griffin, Golston and Montgomery consistently got pressure up the middle from what I saw...:whoknows:

And I still don't understand why we're picking behind Tampa when they had a higher playoff seed and won their division. :mad:

Our winning percentage of opponents was higher. So we beat teams with a higher winning percentage then they did, so we go behind them. That's what sucks for us being in the NFC East and good for them being in the NFC Suck...er I mean South.

I'm not sure what you're talking about bro - Griffin, Golston and Montgomery consistently got pressure up the middle from what I saw...:whoknows:

We must've been watching completely different games ... or maybe one of us had too much absinthe at the tailgates. Because from what I saw, most QBs were dropping back, Carter would bring pressure, and then the QB would slide up in the pocket buying himself some time to get rid of the ball. Or, the QB would step up, our CBs would maintain coverage, and Carter was able to catch up to the QB and sack him.

There were times when the line would get pressure from the interior, but I've noticed quite a number of times (even going back to the season prior) where QBs weren't concerned about a middle rush, and used the soft middle as a safe haven when our outside rush was making a move.

James Hardy

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- James Hardy, Indiana's career leader in touchdown receptions and yardage, will bypass his senior season and enter the NFL draft this spring.

The 6-foot-7 junior, who came to Indiana to play basketball and finished as a third-team All-America football selection by The Associated Press, said Friday he had "reached the pinnacle" of his college career.

"Therefore, I have decided to forgo my senior year and declare myself eligible for the NFL draft," he said in a statement released by the school.

Hardy finished with 191 receptions for 2,740 yards and 36 touchdowns, all IU career receiving records. He also set season records this year with 79 catches and 16 touchdowns and helped the Hoosiers (7-6) to their first bowl appearance in 14 years, a 49-33 loss to Oklahoma State in the Insight Bowl on Monday.

"We appreciate everything James has contributed to Indiana University," coach Bill Lynch said. "It has been amazing watching him grow not only as a football player, but also as a man."

His 16 touchdown receptions this year ranked second in the nation.

Hardy played only two seasons of high school football at Fort Wayne Elmhurst, but was a first-team AP All-State selection in basketball. After playing both sports as a freshman at Indiana, he gave up basketball to concentrate on football.

He had more than 100 yards receiving in each of his first two games and in five of his first six games in 2005. He finished that season with 61 catches for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns. In that offseason, he was arrested in Fort Wayne for domestic battery, charge that was later dismissed through a diversion program.

He came back the next season, and despite a two-game suspension imposed by the late coach Terry Hoeppner and a midseason quarterback change, Hardy finished with 51 receptions for 722 yards and 10 TDs.

He considered leaving for the NFL at that time, but he returned for his third season with a renewed commitment.

"Having a full year to focus on football has helped me tremendously," he said at the start of the 2007 season. "No matter what I accomplish, I'm never satisfied now. I will continue to work hard no matter what comes my way."

How fast people forget about Moss, ARE, Mix, Espy, Caldwell, Keenan....shall I go on?

Grab a 2nd round WR, get Calais Campbell @ 21 and be done with it!

You're generalizing WRs. If we got Limas Sweed, him and Moss would be perfect compliments. It'd be like saying "How fast people forget about Carter, Daniels, Wilson, Golston, Griffin, Montgomery." They're all different players with different traits.

Calais Campbell has bust written all over him. Tons of potential, great size- no results.

I'd do it the other way around, WR in the first and DE/OLB in the 2nd.

Are we really picking in the 21st spot???? :(

Its called being a playoff team :)

This would be my ideal pick at WR. I go to Penn St, and when we played Indiana, this guy just tore up Justin King (who is also forgoing his senior year to play in the NFL, and was a projected 1st round pick at the beginning of the season). Hardy is 6'7, and is as talented a WR as you will see excluding Calvin Johnson. Just since he played at Indiana I feel like he is going to be overlooked by a lot of teams. I would love to pick this guy up.

I can't decide whether I want a DE or WR in the first round, but if the WR depth in this draft is as thin as McShay says it is, then maybe we should go WR with the #21 pick.

Are you sure you haven't been in a coma since 2004 and you're thinking about that season? Because collapsing the pocket from the interior was easily the single biggest deficiency on our defense this year.

You know what, actually, let's go back to 04 (which I think we can all agree was the best GW Redskins defense to date) to help establish why this presence is so important. We put up 40 sacks that year and you know who the team leader was? That's right, Cornelius Griffin with 6, tied for the team lead with Shawn Springs who also had 6 sacks. Griff also had 14.5 tackles for loss that season. We put up more sacks that year even though our DEs were Renaldo Wynn and Demtric Evans and no DE had more than 3.5 sacks (Ron Warner). The reason was because Griffin was dominant. He consistently played on the other side of the LOS and was consistently busting up pockets and getting penetration. It creates SO MUCH for everyone else.

Compare that to this years DT stats. Griffin had 2.5 sacks and 2 tackles for loss. Montgomery had .5 sack and 5.5 tackles for loss. Kedric Golston had 1 sack and 1 tackle for loss. Our top 3 tackles combined this year didn't even come close to putting up the numbers Griff put up by himself in 04. It's one of the most crucial aspects to defensive play in the NFL, being able to collapse the pocket on the QB from the middle. That we did as well as we did is a testament to the coverage abilities of our back seven and the relentless effort of our DEs, especially Carter. If this doesn't illustrate for you just how much we lacked in that area, I'm not sure what will. While our DTs controlled the line in the running game, stacked blockers and allowed our LBers to flow to the ballcarrier as well as any group of DTs in football, as good as we were there, we were that BAD at generating a pass rushing push up the middle in the passing game.

]']

First Round DEs rarely make big impacts.

Really? :doh:

1998: Greg Ellis' date=' Grant Wistrom

1999: Jevon Kearse, Patrick Kerney

2000: Shaun Ellis

2001: Andre Carter

2002: Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Bryan Thomas, Charles Grant

2003: Kevin Williams, Ty Warren

2004: Will Smith, Kenechi Udeze

2005: Marcus Spears, Luis Castillo

2006: Mario Williams, Mathias Kiwanuka

Looks like you are flat out wrong, man.[/quote']

The irony is that there are few if any positions that produce as many first round busts as WR.

]']You're generalizing WRs. If we got Limas Sweed' date=' him and Moss would be perfect compliments. It'd be like saying "How fast people forget about Carter, Daniels, Wilson, Golston, Griffin, Montgomery." They're all different players with different traits.

Calais Campbell has bust written all over him. Tons of potential, great size- no results.

I'd do it the other way around, WR in the first and DE/OLB in the 2nd.[/quote']

I agree.... :cheers:

The irony is that there are few if any positions that produce as many first round busts as WR.

:cheers:

The draft is FULL of talent at WR this year, too.

Plenty of excellent prospects can be had on the 2nd day of the draft. This is one of the richest WR drafts I can remember.

Adrian Arrington, J. Nelson, and Devin Thomas come to mind. Any of those three would be welcome additions to the Skins roster this year and all three will be around late in the draft unless something crazy happens at the combines.

:2cents:

One wide receiver I kinda like is Lance Leggett out of Miami. Chances are he won't be drafted but he's a guy with a ton of potential. 6'3 and very quick. He was the 6th rated wr coming out of high school in his year, though that doesn't really mean much. His stats have been rather mundane but no one can claim the miami quaterbacks have been even close to respectable in the past couple of years, and he spent most of this year injured. Personally I'd rather pick him up in free agency than go after a wr in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

Archived