Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Todd McShay Mock Draft (Updated-Merged)

SkinsNoles21

21. Washington Redskins

Record: 9-7

Scouts Inc.'s biggest needs: WR, DE, S, OT, CB

Projected pick: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

The Redskins' top priority this offseason is to add a playmaking receiver to the roster. There projects to be a run of wide receivers in the bottom half of the first round before the shallow talent pool dries up and if the Redskins don't get involved here they're likely to get shut out of the wide receiver market. Sweed could become one of the steals of this year's draft; he possesses top-10 talent but will no doubt be undervalued due to a wrist injury that cut short his senior season but should have no long-term affects on his pass-catching ability.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3197734

Strengths: Possesses rare size for a wide receiver. He's tall, well built and extremely fluid for his size. Instinctive route runner; finding soft spots in zone comes very naturally to him. He does an excellent job of finding the ball over his shoulder and adjusting to the deep ball. Displays soft hands and very good concentration. Knows how to use his body to shield defenders and uses his upper body subtly to gain separation from defenders when the ball is in the air (see: TD vs. Oklahoma in 2006). Very difficult to defend one-on-one inside the red zone. Displays good leaping ability, long arms and big, strong hands to challenge for the jump ball. Supremely confident in his ability. Shows good body control along the sideline. He has good quickness and change-of-direction skills for his size. He will consistently make the first defender miss after the catch and he also shows the ability to make sharp cuts in the open field after the catch.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite top-end speed. Also lacks ideal initial burst. Will struggle to get a clean release off the line of scrimmage, especially versus bigger corners that he can't simply overwhelm physically. His effort as a stalk blocker could be better. He isn't as physical as his size would indicate and he doesn't sustain his blocks as long as he can at times.

Overall: Sweed was redshirted in 2003. He then saw action in 37 games (33 consecutive starts) from 2004-'06 catching 105 passes for 1,609 yards (15.3 average) and 17 touchdowns. Sweed looks the part of a Pro Bowl NFL wide receiver physically. He lacks elite top-end speed and his effort as a blocker can improve. Otherwise, Sweed has everything NFL teams look for in a No. 1 wide receiver, including ideal size, athleticism and hands. Sweed can solidify his spot in Round 1 with another productive season like he had as a junior in 2006.

I'd be real happy with this pick. I think Sweed, combined with Randle El, Moss and Cooley gives our receiving corp. a ton of potential. The Skins wouldnt need Sweed to come in and dominate right away. 30-50 catches his rookie year would be awesome.

After round one, we go DE, OL, then add depth.

The only thing worse than Mel Kiper is Todd McShay...

That being said, I see the "run on Wide receivers" he's projecting to come in the 2nd round. There just don't seem to be that many 1st round caliber Wide outs this year, to me at least.

I don't hate on Kiper but im not a big fan of McShay's. I am, however, a fan of limas sweed.

Why does Sweed's description remind me almost exactly of that of Rod Gardner when he was coming out? Howard, Westbrook, Gardner, Jacobs. We have not had good luck finding a WR early in the draft. Defensive Line is more important, and we've ignored it for 10 years.

#23-ROD GARDNER Clemson University Tigers 6:02.2-216

ANALYSIS

Positives... Smart receiver who uses his size and strength to gain advantage over the defensive backs...Has a very tough, physical aspect to his game, drawing comparisons to former Dallas Cowboys great Michael Irvin, as he compensates for a lack of blazing speed with his outstanding hands and power coming off the line...Quickly recovers and adjusts to the ball in flight...Gets to the off-target passes in stride and shows true aggression going for the ball in traffic...Especially effective on quick slants and hitches, but gains most of his yardage with his leg drive after the catch...Has outstanding flexibility and is a very agile and fluid open field runner...Shades and controls the defender on contact, when called upon for blocking purposes...Also has experience as a defensive back in the dime package.

Negatives... Does not possess blazing speed...Relies more on his power, rather than his juking moves, to gain extra yardage after the catch... Not a game-breaker.

Why does Sweed's description remind me almost exactly of that of Rod Gardner when he was coming out? Howard, Westbrook, Gardner, Jacobs. We have not had good luck finding a WR early in the draft. Defensive Line is more important, and we've ignored it for 10 years.

ANALYSIS

Positives... Smart receiver who uses his size and strength to gain advantage over the defensive backs...Has a very tough, physical aspect to his game, drawing comparisons to former Dallas Cowboys great Michael Irvin, as he compensates for a lack of blazing speed with his outstanding hands and power coming off the line...Quickly recovers and adjusts to the ball in flight...Gets to the off-target passes in stride and shows true aggression going for the ball in traffic...Especially effective on quick slants and hitches, but gains most of his yardage with his leg drive after the catch...Has outstanding flexibility and is a very agile and fluid open field runner...Shades and controls the defender on contact, when called upon for blocking purposes...Also has experience as a defensive back in the dime package.

Negatives... Does not possess blazing speed...Relies more on his power, rather than his juking moves, to gain extra yardage after the catch... Not a game-breaker.

Wow. That's eerie. I was thinking more along the lines of an Anquan Boldin, but now I can't Rod Gardner out of my head lol!

We HAVE TO go DE with the first pick. HAVE TO.

Wide receivers in the first round have trouble written all over them... and as promising as Sweed may look to some (not me) the potential for disaster is too great.

Second round... maybe... Adrian Arrington sure looks like a risk worth taking in round 2.

he sounds good. it's true we need a better pass rush, but our defense is obviously better than our offense. the best way to help our offense in the draft would be to draft a tall receiver.

I disagree, the best way would be to sign a proven tall free agent receiver.

Does no one care about the fact that we can't get a push up the middle to save our lives? That Carter and Wilson are sometimes nullified on the end rush because the QB is given the option of stepping up in the middle of the pocket and getting rid of the ball. Which means that we might want to look at a Pass Rushing DT, instead of another end rusher. And don't tell me the Griffin will do it, because he hasn't gotten a big push since his first season here, now our DLine is all about the run stop. DE is nice, and all, but a Pass Rush DT might make this unit much more dangerous.

I think that a big WR like Sweed or Monk or Nelson or whoever else is out there, could do wonders for our Offense. We need a big WR, say what you want, but if we grab a WR in the first round and a DT in the second, or vice versa, it will do nothing but help us regardless.

ANALYSIS

Gardner could have been good ... but his work ethic and attitude kept that from happening.

Sweed is faster than Gardner also.

If Sweed fell to us in the second round Id be ecstatic.

I think the Skins have to sign a defensive end or wide receiver via free agency ... and then draft whichever position they dont sign in free agency in the first round.

I don't know... I actually have a feeling this is what we will do, and though I am not COMPLETELY in disagreement. I would much rather us get a DE. I think Demetric Evans has filled in well, but we just don't have any burst from our D-line. I was very very impressed with the play of Anthony Montgomery stuffing the middle, and Andre Carter has really come on well, but teams are keying on both of them and that leaves them absent, and thus our pass rush becomes absent. I really do see what is happening in the playoffs as it happened to us, if you stuff the quarterback repeatedly and are always in his face, it makes the opportunity to win that much greater. Our secondary was playing very well, and with a crazy pass rush and our LB's stuffing the run our defense will be incredible. Even a new DE doesn't start right away, planning for the future is imperative seeing as how Daniels is getting very old. This is not even mentioning the immediate help we need on our O-line.

Does no one care about the fact that we can't get a push up the middle to save our lives? That Carter and Wilson are sometimes nullified on the end rush because the QB is given the option of stepping up in the middle of the pocket and getting rid of the ball. Which means that we might want to look at a Pass Rushing DT, instead of another end rusher. And don't tell me the Griffin will do it, because he hasn't gotten a big push since his first season here, now our DLine is all about the run stop. DE is nice, and all, but a Pass Rush DT might make this unit much more dangerous.

I think that a big WR like Sweed or Monk or Nelson or whoever else is out there, could do wonders for our Offense. We need a big WR, say what you want, but if we grab a WR in the first round and a DT in the second, or vice versa, it will do nothing but help us regardless.

I fully understand this. But looking at the way McShay has the draft breaking down, every defensive lineman worth taking is gone by the time we pick.

Campbell, Harvey, Gohlston ... all gone....what other DT's are first round worthy.

Hell, he has Gohlston going in the top ten.

Archived