Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Todd McShay Mock Draft (Updated-Merged)

SkinsNoles21

No and neither have we for awhile.

Oldskool's kicking back up the DL draft talk ready to get back in full offseason swing. :silly:

How'd that Landry pick look instead of your personal pimp job, Mr Alan Branch? Branch or Bust, right? :silly: :laugh:

Seems to me we got one of the best defensive players in the draft and were one of the best defenses in the league this year, once again let down by a mediocre at best offense. But I agree, we could use some help on the DL but I think more than DE, we need someone who can create an IMMEDIATE presence as a pass rushing, gap shooting DT. That was the one thing that was truly missing from our D this year and it's the one facet that I believe, if improved, would have a greater impact than any other upgrade on the defense. Too many times this year QB's were allowed to step up cleanly and force Carter and others to come all the way around the pocket and 5 yards back up into it to reach the QB. We've got to find someone who can collapse the pocket from the interior on passing downs, even if it's just a situational player.

But I would have to agree, we have a top ten defense and the one thing missing from our offense is a WR who can make tough catches and create mismatch problems in the redzone. Right now, because of the small stature of our WRs, we are unable to attack the back line and corners of the end zone, making the end zone smaller for us. A big WR who could go up and catch the ball at 10 ft forces the defense to drop a little further into the end zone and drop wider to the corner. This allows room for ARE and Moss to separate and for Cooley to work around the goal line over the middle. It would change the entire complexion of our red zone offense and make us a higher scoring team. I think the case is far from difficult to make that this is the single biggest need heading into the offseason.

Wrong.

Pass rusher and Guard is far more important than WR.

But, I wouldn't expect ESPN to get that right:rolleyes:

I'm on board with you illone, except I would put guard first and clarify pass rusher as a DT with pass rushing ability (ala Griff a couple of years ago)

Cheers!

I'm a Longhorns fan and have seen every game Sweed played at Texas. He is not #1 receiver material. His early projection is based on his size. I always looked at him as a poor man's Roy Williams. Good player at Texas, but not great. He never had a dominating game in college. He would disappear mentally at times. He was a pretty good blocker, though. I'm no expert but he seems to be a 3rd or 4th round talent to me.

Wrong.

Pass rusher and Guard is far more important than WR.

But, I wouldn't expect ESPN to get that right:rolleyes:

I agree it's wrong in regards to McShay saying WR is the top priority. However, you also have to look at who's available at #21 (assuming the Skins stay there). Unless there's a Steve Hutchinson or maybe Ben Grubbs type available, you're probably not going to draft a guard at #21. McShay has the top pass rushers off the board already on his mock. So WR may be the way to go based off his projection.

Does no one care about the fact that we can't get a push up the middle to save our lives? That Carter and Wilson are sometimes nullified on the end rush because the QB is given the option of stepping up in the middle of the pocket and getting rid of the ball. Which means that we might want to look at a Pass Rushing DT, instead of another end rusher. And don't tell me the Griffin will do it, because he hasn't gotten a big push since his first season here, now our DLine is all about the run stop. DE is nice, and all, but a Pass Rush DT might make this unit much more dangerous.

I think that a big WR like Sweed or Monk or Nelson or whoever else is out there, could do wonders for our Offense. We need a big WR, say what you want, but if we grab a WR in the first round and a DT in the second, or vice versa, it will do nothing but help us regardless.

I agree with what you are saying Sweets. But, I think that our team is more than likely going to rely on the positive development of young Anthony Montgomery. He did show signs of becoming an all- pro this past season IMO.

And who knows, we might just make a semi big splash in the FA pool again this season now that JG is gone. I think that I'd rather get a FA WR than use a first rounder on one anyway. Maybe we will pick up a decent DT in FA to. :whoknows:

It's amazing that people simply think

we no rush passer. Must have DE. DT for stop run only.

We have guys who are good coming off the edges. Carter was a force to be reckoned with this year and Wilson made very nice contributions, especially later in the year. What would free up those guys to get more pressure, more than anything, is finding a way to collapse the pocket from the interior. Unless you're talking about acquiring Freeney, most every DE in the league is going to be negated if there's a clean pocket for the QB to step up into. That our pass defense was as good as it was is a testament to just how well our secondary played because QBs all too often could avoid Carter and Wilson and Marcus coming off the edge by stepping up 3 or 4 yards and throwing through nice, open throwing lanes. We have plenty of good, strong, block stacking, run stuffing DTs. A guy who can play on the other side of the line of scrimmage consistently from the DT position would open up everyone else and make every other player on the defenses' job easier.

Wow, Sweed in the first?

This guy had major surgery on his hand this year. Unless he comes back in time, and has a great combine, he's looking at 2-3rd round. Even then, it could be a rush.

Terrible pick McShay.

What does his hand have to do with running a 40?

Also, Antonio Cromartie missed his entire last season at FSU and still went late 1st rd.

I agree it's wrong in regards to McShay saying WR is the top priority. However, you also have to look at who's available at #21 (assuming the Skins stay there). Unless there's a Steve Hutchinson or maybe Ben Grubbs type available, you're probably not going to draft a guard at #21. McShay has the top pass rushers off the board already on his mock. So WR may be the way to go based off his projection.
But, you can kind of see where people would think that upgrading our offense would want to be our number one priority.

Most of the season, it was our defense that was keeping us in games, or even winning games for us at times. In other words, our defense is one of the best in the league again. Our offense isn't.

But, if you want to use the whole age thing as an arguement, then that's a whole different thing together. :)

Sweed may be good, but we need help on the O-line and D-line. No WR is going to amount to anything if we don't give Campbell time, and it won't matter if we can't stop the opponents Pass Rush. Olineman are better when drafted later, so that means D-Line comes first

Grab a DE with our 1st, a G/C with our 2nd, and a DT with our 3rd or 5th. That will give us more depth at DT and a better DE too. Maybe we can cut griff/daniels at the same time and save money.

Has Todd McShay seen our pass rush?

Limas Sweed>Any DE this offseason.

First Round DEs rarely make big impacts. Mario Williams and Julius Peppers are a few prototypical DEs, both went in the top 3. First round DEs are just hard to turn into stud pass rushers.

And at least this year we had a decent pass rush. Certainly, we need to upgrade that, but the first round isn't the way to go.

]']Limas Sweed>Any DE this offseason.

First Round DEs rarely make big impacts. Mario Williams and Julius Peppers are a few prototypical DEs' date=' both went in the top 3. First round DEs are just hard to turn into stud pass rushers.

And at least this year we had a decent pass rush. Certainly, we need to upgrade that, but the first round isn't the way to go.[/quote']But couldn't the "rarely" thing be said for first round WR's also?

Yea, but the team needs he lists does not include a OG.

What does his hand have to do with running a 40?

Also, Antonio Cromartie missed his entire last season at FSU and still went late 1st rd.

You know there are other things in the combine except 40s right?

Last time I checked, he's a WR. If he can't catch, especially some of the heat Campbell throws, why waste a first. He had MAJOR reconstructive surgery on his wrist. What is a WR that can't catch?

This year's "Calvin Johnson" is Adarius Bowman from OklaSU. He blows Sweet away. Check out Bowman in the Insight Bowl against Tracy Porter of Indiana. Bowman will probably shine at the combine and move rapidly up the Board. Skins may even have to trade-up to get him ... but he is the next franchise WR.

This year's "Calvin Johnson" is Adarius Bowman from OklaSU. He blows Sweet away. Check out Bowman in the Insight Bowl against Tracy Porter of Indiana. Bowman will probably shine at the combine and move rapidly up the Board. Skins may even have to trade-up to get him ... but he is the next franchise WR.

Limas Sweed>Malcolm Kelly>Bowman

There is no Calvin Johnson this year, to say so would be very moronic. Sweed has better hands, better height, and better athleticism. I've seen that play, and while its not bad, its not Sweed's level.

Last time I checked, he's a WR. If he can't catch, especially some of the heat Campbell throws, why waste a first. He had MAJOR reconstructive surgery on his wrist. What is a WR that can't catch?

Have you tried watching Limas Sweed. He's exactly what you want in a WR, yet you insist on saying he isn't the kind of WR we need.

Well, then the major thing he needs to worry about at the combine is the medical exam part. As long as his legs are fine, he should be able to take part in most everything else.

]']First Round DEs rarely make big impacts.

Really? :doh:

1998: Greg Ellis, Grant Wistrom

1999: Jevon Kearse, Patrick Kerney

2000: Shaun Ellis

2001: Andre Carter

2002: Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Bryan Thomas, Charles Grant

2003: Kevin Williams, Ty Warren

2004: Will Smith, Kenechi Udeze

2005: Marcus Spears, Luis Castillo

2006: Mario Williams, Mathias Kiwanuka

Looks like you are flat out wrong, man.

Archived