Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

I'm not saying that. Not at all. Go look at my history in this thread. I have said for the last 3 years Mayweather would beat Pac. I have listed the reasons why many times. Will probably do so again when the topic catches fire and/or if the fight is actually going to happen.

I think it would be a pretty good fight. I don't claim it is impossible for Pac to win, but I think stylistically Mayweather has the advantage. My only relation to the JMM fight within my argument is that I think JMM is a technical boxer, just like Mayweather is, and those are the types of guys who give Pac trouble, guys who actually box and aren't in there just to walk up to Pac and trade punches.

Basically Mayweather is 10x better at the type of fight JMM was strategically bringing to Pac last night. Imagine the same strategy, but from a guy who is faster, slicker, more elusive, harder to punch and who's own punching output would be higher at the same time.

All those fights you listed, I am not in the mood to break down each one, but the weight classes, age of fighters etc etc etc also played into how the fights went.

Mayweather is routinely bashed by casual boxing fans because his KO ratio has lowered in the past few years when he moved up in weight, but look at his KO ratio in his prime at his natural weight class, it is one of the highest ever. He would straight up clown opponents.

Edited by NoCalMike

I hate Mayweather with a passion but he beats Manny easily. Floyd has incredible defense and will counter Manny all night beating him easily i've been saying that from the get go. But i'd love nothing more then to see Manny KO him its just not gonna happen.

As much as I hate Floyd the guy is damn good and nobody will beat him unless he keeps fighting into old age.

By your logic, you assume that anyone who feels like that fight last night was bs must be a Mayweather fan, or Pac hater.

Amazing logic you have there sir.

I've personally dealt with a few Floyd lovers. They're all the same. They all make up any excuse not to fight Pac.

If the fight would be so one sided and he could earn $50 million, then why hasn't he fought him by now?

---------- Post added November-13th-2011 at 08:38 AM ----------

I hate Mayweather with a passion but he beats Manny easily. Floyd has incredible defense and will counter Manny all night beating him easily i've been saying that from the get go. But i'd love nothing more then to see Manny KO him its just not gonna happen.

As much as I hate Floyd the guy is damn good and nobody will beat him unless he keeps fighting into old age.

My money's on Pac, but either fighter could win. If Oscar and Mosley can catch him, I'm sure Manny could.

Even Freddie Roach is saying Floyd would give Pac troubles because Pac needs to get better at dealing with counter punchers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=dw-wetzel_pacquiao_marquez_rematch_mayweather_arum_111311

“I think [Marquez] has Manny’s number,” said Pacquiao’s trainer, Freddie Roach. “He knows how to fight Manny. Mayweather is a bit of a counterpuncher also; he can give us trouble. We need to learn to deal with these counterpunchers better.”

JMM is a slow 38 year old and was able to use minimal movement to make Pac miss and hit him with counter punching based soley on technique. Imagine adding speed and elusiveness to that arsenal. There is a reason Pac doesn't look like a world beater against this type of fighter.

I'm seeing a couple experts with absolutely ridiculous scores in Marquez's favor. If Marquez were to have won, it was by no more than one round, not eight! I really think his best outcome was a draw.

Edited by jnhay

I'm seeing a couple experts with absolutely ridiculous scores in Marquez's favor. If Marquez were to have won, it was by no more than one round, not eight! I really think his best outcome was a draw.

Like Emmanuel Stewart implied, JMM got more credit because he did better than what everybody expected which is wrong. Pac won a tough fight.

Lets no go their now.

I remember clearly, oscar de la hoya beating mayweather but judes gave it to floyd. Within a year pacman knocks out de la hoya.

Pacman struggled his whole career with marquez. I dont think this fight defines the outcome of his fight against mayweather.

If you think Oscar won that fight, then we can't talk boxng. I'm sorry.

If you think Oscar won that fight, then we can't talk boxng. I'm sorry.

LOL mayweathers own father thought de la hoya won.

You must have been smoking something if you thought the fight wasnt close. De la hoya would have won for sure if he didnt start getting so tired and slow in the later rounds. The whole fight floyd was running around like a girl and ducking.

Oh no, I think they easily can, but to say that no matter what he was winning even if he got knocked down 100 times? That's just a really extreme way to state things. I realize judges can be gotten to and convinced to nudge scoring on close rounds, wouldn't argue with that....this isn't 1923 though.

Of course I was exaggerating, but there is no way Pacquaio should have a score of 116-112 over Marquez.

:helmet:

LOL mayweathers own father thought de la hoya won.

You must have been smoking something if you thought the fight wasnt close. De la hoya would have won for sure if he didnt start getting so tired and slow in the later rounds. The whole fight floyd was running around like a girl and ducking.

:ols: @ you taking Mayweather's father word for anything, that relationship ain't exactly stable.

Never said it wasn't close, I just think it was a win for Mayweather. Watched the fight several times, always end up scoring the same, 8 rounds to 4 for Mayweather.

And again, if you think Mayweather "was running around like a girl and ducking" all fight, then you're not understanding whats going on in the ring. God forbid a fighter actually employ a little known tactic like defense.

---------- Post added November-14th-2011 at 02:45 AM ----------

I watched Pac/Marquez III again, this time with HBO commentary. I find it very impressive that Pacquiao was able to compete with Jim Lampley and Emmanuel Steward swinging from his sack. HBO's commentators are by far the worst in boxing.

[/color]I watched Pac/Marquez III again, this time with HBO commentary. I find it very impressive that Pacquiao was able to compete with Jim Lampley and Emmanuel Steward swinging from his sack. HBO's commentators are by far the worst in boxing.

Yeah, they're, by far, the worst in boxing. But they're like that with all the favorites. Some years ago, Lampley was actually talking to Mayweather from ringside "DURING A FIGHT." After the fight, if was that other fighter, I would have dimmed Lampleys lights.

Of course I was exaggerating, but there is no way Pacquaio should have a score of 116-112 over Marquez.

:helmet:

I totally agree, I think anyone that had either fighter winning that by more than 2 rounds is being a bit ridiculous. I personally had Manny by 2 (posted that before it was announced) but someone that had JMM winning it by 2 can make just as good a case for that also.

I think my initial frustration with people was that some were yelling it was a straight up robbery, implying that JMM clearly won by 3+ rounds (To be a robbery it has to be one sided...not a close fight).

In the end boxing is boxing, every year there is this type of fight that divides the community, as frustrating as it is....it does keep people talking. :)

I think my initial frustration with people was that some were yelling it was a straight up robbery, implying that JMM clearly won by 3+ rounds (To be a robbery it has to be one sided...not a close fight).

That's because JMM did better than most thought he would and his preformance is somewhat overrated. It was a close fight, but Manny won.

consistently landed the cleaner and harder shots. I realize some favor activity and workrate (which is perfectly understandable), I look for clean harder shots when scoring fights.

Compubox has Pacman landing more punches overall as well as power punches. It was a close fight, but JMM's corner lost him the fight. there were many very close rounds that could have gone either way and Pacman stole those rounds in the end, while JMM was inactive. JMM's corner didn't have a realistic assessment of where they stood in the fight. JMM's corner was convinced he was winning the fight and so he sat back and protected the lead. Pacman and Roach knew it was coming down to a decision, so they went and took those toss up rounds. If you wanna be the champ you have to beat the champ. not duck and hide and hope the judges will give you the fight because you kept it close.

Exactly. You NEVER tell your fighter that he's way ahead. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!!

But looking ahead to a potential Pac/May fight, we'll see just how good a trainer Freddy Roach is.

Looks like we may have to wait a little while longer

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/11/14/2562513/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-top-rank-wont-negotiate-pacquiao-vs-marquez-iv-preferred#storyjump

This evening on Twitter, ESPN's Dan Rafael reports that negotiations for a May 5 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao will not be pursued, and that Top Rank (Pacquiao's promoter) will instead focus on making a fourth fight between Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez:

Breaking: @FloydMayweather & @GoldenBoyBoxing have been told @trboxing won't negotiate Pacquiao-FM in order to pursue 4th fight with Marquez

I don't know how people are going to take this, because there are reasons to be annoyed, reasons to be angry, and reasons to say that it makes sense. Mayweather announced his return date of May 5, 2012, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, during the build-up to Pacquiao vs Marquez III, which took place on Saturday.

I have to be fair. I believe Floyd has ducked Pac over the past two years, now it looks like Pac is ducking May.

Pac and JMM has fought three times. Let it go and give the people the fight they want.

If this goes through, Pac's popularity will take a massive hit.

Edited by DM72

No one is ducking anyone...it's all part of the game. The fight will happen when they reach peak earning potential and not a second sooner.

I disagree. They have been rumored to get around $50 million apiece. I doubt they'll get any more than that from here on out. Plus, with each passing fight, this mega fight is starting to lose its luster. It lost a little this pass weekend. Heck, what if Pac or May actually loses? Then the fight is totally off and they both would have lost millions.

Edited by DM72