Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

I am also of the opinion that Floyd would beat Pac but I don't think that should take anything away from Manny's legacy if he couldn't. Mayweather is just naturally bigger while not sacrificing any speed to Pac.

I don't think either fighter is bigger than the other. Manny's been floating around 147 for a while now, and its not like Mayweather spent a career at 147. Both started small and worked their way up to the weight they're at now.

Up until now, I believe Floyd was the biggest reason he and Pac hasn't fought. But right now, it's mostly on Bob Arum. Don't get me wrong, I still kind of don't believe Mayweather truely wants to fight Pac, but Arum is looking more and more like he doesn't want Pac to fight May. He's just coming up with too many excuses.

And for you who believes that May would beat Pac so easily. Answer this: Why is he so afraid that Pac is taking something?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/boxing/post/_/id/842/report-floyd-mayweather-to-fight-robert-guerrero

Floyd Mayweather is thisclose to naming a foe for his May 5 scrap.

According to Raymond Markarian, writing for TheSweetScience.com, a source informed him that negotiations for a Mayweather-Guerrero bout are in their final stage and that tussle could be announced later this week.

The 28 year-old Guerrero, a California-based boxer seen as one of the classiest battlers in the sport, has a 29-1-1 record. The left-hander has been off since April 2011, because of a left shoulder injury, which necessitated surgery. The ex featherweight, super feather and lightweight champion has never weighed more than 138 pounds as a pro at a weigh-in, so he'll be biting off a hunk of challenge in the pound for pound king, who has campaigned at 140 pounds or more since 2004. The May 5 date, tied to the Cinco de Mayo weekend, would likely draw a solid crowd, as the Mexican-American Guerrero has a solid fanbase.

The 34 year-old Mayweather is looking to get a fight in and raise his record to 43-0 before he turns himself in for a no-more-than three months jail sentence. That term, set to start June 1, stems from a 2010 altercation with his ex galpal in Las Vegas in September 2010.

If this is true, its pathetic.

Rafael today has been pressing that the Mayweather-Guerrero and Pacquiao-Peterson bouts are being talked about the most but the reaction from all sides (not surprisingly) has been negative. I think they both need to sack up and make the fight, Pacquiao doesn't need 8 months to recover from a cut and Mayweather isn't going to "make the most money" fighting Guerrero. Get it done boys

This would again proove my previous point that I had made some time back that Mayweather (w/Ellerbe) will not make a fight happen that he doesn't have the physical advantages in. I don't fault Guerrero for taking the fight and his biggest pay day but for Floyd to "hand pick" that as the mega fight of the year would be a joke. Even without making the Manny fight there are bigger names available that would make more money but obviously could also cause problems matching up. I simply don't understand how a fight that would blow previous PPV records away simply can't be made, incredible.

I simply don't understand how a fight that would blow previous PPV records away simply can't be made, incredible.

Because if either May or Pac loses, "especially May" their career is pratically over. May and Arum both know this. Floyd's fanbase would drop him like a hot potato if he were to lose and in Arum's case, he wants to keep the Pac money train moving.

Sadly, when we finally see this fight, neither fighter "definitely Pac" will be in their prime.

Edited by DM72

This would again proove my previous point that I had made some time back that Mayweather (w/Ellerbe) will not make a fight happen that he doesn't have the physical advantages in. I don't fault Guerrero for taking the fight and his biggest pay day but for Floyd to "hand pick" that as the mega fight of the year would be a joke. Even without making the Manny fight there are bigger names available that would make more money but obviously could also cause problems matching up. I simply don't understand how a fight that would blow previous PPV records away simply can't be made, incredible.

He did fight DLH at 154 though, he wasn't at at physical advantage in that fight.

The fights not happening because neither fighter is at a juncture in which they NEED the other. Each is still selling 1mil+ ppv's and collecting 20-30mil paydays fighting other fighters so the urgency isn't there on either side to force a deal.

Because if either May or Pac loses, "especially May" their career is pratically over. May and Arum both know this. Floyd's fanbase would drop him like a hot potato if he were to lose and in Arum's case, he wants to keep the Pac money train moving.

Sadly, when we finally see this fight, neither fighter "definitely Pac" will be in their prime.

I think it depends how they lose. As long as they weren't knocked out cold, it would be salvageable and still do great business. Hell people still think Pac loss his last fight to JMM and its not hurting his future fight prospects in terms of what they will sell.

Edited by StillUnknown

Mayweather I think really wants te fight he has made the fight date called PAC out but they seem too not want too fight him, talking about Marquez 4 and making allot of excuses. Mayweather needs a fight very soon he can't wait around and not fight may 5th he could be in serious law problems if he don't make date.

He did fight DLH at 154 though, he wasn't at at physical advantage in that fight.

The fights not happening because neither fighter is at a juncture in which they NEED the other. Each is still selling 1mil+ ppv's and collecting 20-30mil paydays fighting other fighters so the urgency isn't there on either side to force a deal.

I think it depends how they lose. As long as they weren't knocked out cold, it would be salvageable and still do great business. Hell people still think Pac loss his last fight to JMM and its not hurting his future fight prospects in terms of what they will sell.

Yeah, but May's career is so defined by being perfect. He loses, where does he go from there? Pac has lost before and he's a totally different type of fighter.

---------- Post added January-9th-2012 at 09:08 PM ----------

Yeah, but May's career is so defined by being perfect. He loses, where does he go from there? Pac has lost before and he's a totally different type of fighter.

He may think there's a marketing edge to being undefeated, but I don't agree that his career is defined by being perfect. His career, legacy, is defined as being one of the best defensive fighters to ever put on a pair of gloves and being arguably the greatest 130lb fighter of all time.

Edited by StillUnknown

C'mon he fought an old legs worn out De La Hoya whom everyone knows starts fights hard then fades towards the end. At that stage in De La Hoya's career he was prepared for a fight, not a sprinting competition. Albeit that was a fight strategy perfected by Floyd but he moved up for the $$$ and got on his bike and ran the whole night outside of pot shots. After that fight anyone who watched it would agree that Floyd won easily but as a fan you were not treated to a "fight".

He picks and chooses his opponents to be sure he has an advantage, I think Oscar's fights before and after would suggest the same.

Oscar fought May in 2007, before he fought and lost to Mosley in 03, Sturm in 04(he won but really lost if it were judged properly), BHop in 04. He did kill Mayorga in 06 but seriously....who didn't see that coming, Mayorga was an easy win for anyone who was a real boxer (very similar to Naseem Hamed). Then he loses to May in 07 (total of 2 fights in 2 years), followed up with a win over Forbes then to be annihilated by Pacman. The writing was on the wall with his heart not being all the way in it as well as his skills were diminished.

I'm not saying Floyd isn't one of the GOAT but once he reached about 30 wins he carefully hand picked opponents (I personally believe due to Ellerbe) that would be easy wins much like Roy Jones Jr.

C'mon he fought an old legs worn out De La Hoya whom everyone knows starts fights hard then fades towards the end. At that stage in De La Hoya's career he was prepared for a fight, not a sprinting competition. Albeit that was a fight strategy perfected by Floyd but he moved up for the $$$ and got on his bike and ran the whole night outside of pot shots. After that fight anyone who watched it would agree that Floyd won easily but as a fan you were not treated to a "fight".

Some of that is revisionist history though. Going into the fight, there wasn't much talk about Oscar being that shop-worn. Most of that talk was off-set by Floyd jumping up to 154 for the fight. As far as being "treated to a fight", thats never been and will never be Floyd's MO. He'll only be drawn into back and forward brawl when his defensive skills erode. He's too smart a in-ring strategist and knows how to use his skills to win convincingly and with minimal damage being inflicted on him. I won't fault him or any other fighter for fighting in a way that best utilizes there skill-set. Its the old boxing saying "win this fight, look good the next".

He picks and chooses his opponents to be sure he has an advantage, I think Oscar's fights before and after would suggest the same.

Agreed, but this occurs with any fighter who has the leverage to do so. Its why Pacquiao got to fight Clottey, a shot Margarito, and super shot Mosley.

Oscar fought May in 2007, before he fought and lost to Mosley in 03, Sturm in 04(he won but really lost if it were judged properly), BHop in 04. He did kill Mayorga in 06 but seriously....who didn't see that coming, Mayorga was an easy win for anyone who was a real boxer (very similar to Naseem Hamed). Then he loses to May in 07 (total of 2 fights in 2 years), followed up with a win over Forbes then to be annihilated by Pacman. The writing was on the wall with his heart not being all the way in it as well as his skills were diminished.

I'm not saying Floyd isn't one of the GOAT but once he reached about 30 wins he carefully hand picked opponents (I personally believe due to Ellerbe) that would be easy wins much like Roy Jones Jr.

I don't think we're that far apart in our thoughts, I just remember the dynamics of Floyd/DLH being alot different than what some like to remember nowadays. Although Floyd was the betting favorite, it was probably his closest line since he fought Corrales. Alot of folks though DLH's size would be a factor in that fight and that he would be able to big man his way to a decision.

Some of that is revisionist history though.

I agree, I mean I was excited as the next guy that Floyd was taking the fight, but as a revisionist I think looking back at it without my De La Hoya glasses on I think Floyd can look at who he plans to fight and already know his strategy and know the hardest thing he needs to do is train for stamina/endurance so he can get on the bike all night.

Agreed, but this occurs with any fighter who has the leverage to do so. Its why Pacquiao got to fight Clottey, a shot Margarito, and super shot Mosley.

I also agree about all three of those fighters, the difference is when you look back at Manny's career how many Great "Risky" fights did he take? Morales 3 times. Marquez 3 times(albeit the 3rd fight was hand picked and turned out to hurt more than help even with the win). Barrera twice. Cotto once.

I just want to see Mayweather challenge himself just a little bit with all the trash he talks. I agree with him that he's great but show the fans why and just how great he is. He could beat Cotto just like Manny but he won't risk it because with Cotto there is more risk than it is worth to him.

I personally think that is why he ended the fight with Ortiz, what I witnessed was Ortiz actually getting to him in the 4th round (media will never say it that way). Ortiz's pressure was bothering Floyd and while I don't think Floyd would of lost I do think he made a mistake challenging Victor's power and when there was an opportunity to end it, he did. Ortiz did stand a punchers shot which got surprisingly interesting since Floyd wasn't running.

I don't think we're that far apart in our thoughts

I agree, you're probably the most insightful one on the boxing boards that I actually look to see what your opinion is on fights, subjects, or remarks.

Mayweather I think really wants te fight he has made the fight date called PAC out but they seem too not want too fight him, talking about Marquez 4 and making allot of excuses. Mayweather needs a fight very soon he can't wait around and not fight may 5th he could be in serious law problems if he don't make date.

I have not seen him once say that he wants Pac. Just because he made a date and rented a venue doesn't mean he's calling out Pac. When he made the reservations, he made clear not to say Pac by name. Instead he said "the little fella." That could be anybody. As with Arum, I'm not buying Floyd's BS.

---------- Post added January-9th-2012 at 10:58 PM ----------

He may think there's a marketing edge to being undefeated, but I don't agree that his career is defined by being perfect. His career, legacy, is defined as being one of the best defensive fighters to ever put on a pair of gloves and being arguably the greatest 130lb fighter of all time.

Most of Mays fans are the hip-hop generation. These guys brag about him being perfect almost as much as he does and if he were to lose, he'd lose that crowd. And know this, a lot of people tune into his fights just to see him lose. Once that happens, a lot of people won't care about Floyd. Amd lets be honest, he's no Tyson or Pac when it comes to excitng fights. Again, if he fights Pac and loses, who else is out there anyone wants to see him fight?

Forward too 7:50 it don't get any clearer than that. The past 2 months mayweather has been on a press tour calling this guy out.

Are you serious? That's not "really" calling someone out. He's just playing for the cameras and his family. That was nothing but Floyd being Floyd. If he's serious about calling Pac out, he'd get some interview time on ESPN and do it so everybody can see it.

PS: If Floyd called up ESPN Friday Night Fights to say something, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to put him on the air. You don't video tape a family gathering and in passing "call out Pac." If you want to call him out, make it official.

Edited by DM72

Are you serious? That's not "really" calling someone out. He's just playing for the cameras and his family. That was nothing but Floyd being Floyd. If he's serious about calling Pac out, he'd get some interview time on ESPN and do it so everybody can see it.

Lol denial at its best, he did espn too announced may 5th its on YouTube look it up.

By the way Fighthype is a boxing site ESPN is a joke for boxing

Lol denial at its best, he did espn too announced may 5th its on YouTube look it up.

By the way Fighthype is a boxing site ESPN is a joke for boxing

After his fight against Ortiz, as soon as it looked like Larry Merchant (who I dislike) was about to bring up Pac, Floyd lost his mind.

As for fighthype, yeah I sometimes go there. But if you're not a hardcore boxing fan, who's ever heard of it. Floyd goes on ESPN and calls out Pac, it becomes big news.

As you can see I am a Floyd fan I am not hiding it, however I LOVE boxing So how can you not like PAC.

But please dude Merchant was way out of line Mayweather got headbutted horribly hell the dude didn't even try too hide it, so you expect compassion for Mayweather? Hell no he did what he had too do **** Ortiz. Ortiz is in danger of not being licenses by las Vegas boxing commission he said last week that he TRIED TOO BREAK MAYWEATHERS NOSE AND WOULD DO IT AGAIN.

Mayweather didnt break any rules he won its a shame the fight ended like that but that's not MAYWEATHERS fault. In the interview PAC was never mentioned before Floyd blew up so we don't no what he would have said. Why after every fight they ask PAC do you want Mayweather next and he always said you have too refer too my promoter Bob Arum but when Mayweather says something of those lines he gets crucified.