Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

A washed-up de la Hoya, a possibly-washed-up Mosley...come on Manny take on some REAL competition like Floyd.

This is a funny comment, I think it is fairly obvious in the boxing community to know that everyone is in agreeance that it is Floyd who is not making this fight happen with his legal problems as well as his drive to do whatever it takes to not make the fight happen.

You can say what you want but Manny agreed to the tests, then Floyd says it'll take 100 million for him to fight, that is the boxing way of saying I don't want to fight but he'll convince his "loyal" fans only that he's more than willing and that Manny's camp won't accept.

Let's look at Floyd's competition the last few years:

Zab Judah in 08 he looked vunerable but definetly showed his heart and skill when he whipped Zab in the latter half of the fight before Zab went Tyson on him. Then he took an easy fight with Baldomir who had no business being a champion but Floyd used that to say he beat a title holder. Then he fought an over the hill De La Hoya whom he ran from the entire fight (I'll agree he did what he had to do to win but it made a very boring fight and he ran like a coward but WON). What's next

Ricky Fatton, Ricky was good but slightly better than Baldomir at best for the elite competition. Ricky did actually make Floyd fight a hard fight and when he did Floyd again showed his heart and skill which was far superior to Ricky's. If he fought that way the whole fight it would of been over early like Manny's destruction of Hatton.

Then finally he decides to fight someone (old) but still very good in JMM. However, he is scared so he purposely comes in over weight and pays the fine to do so. He easily beats JMM and probably would of at the same weight but he wanted the advantage to be sure in his mind that he'd win. This was the first time in years that I thought he chose to fight someone he could actually lose to.

Years too late he fights Mosley, Mosley shows early it would of been a great fight years ago but he fades too quickly later in the fight and Mayweather reverted to the hit and move style he often uses to beat opponents in boring but skillful boxing.

What I'm getting at is Floyd hasn't tested himself in a long time and really probably doesn't have the edge that a young fighter would have to even want to do it. If he had it still he'd make the fight with Manny to proove to everyone that he is the best. I still think he is a little better than Manny especially if he lets Manny punch first all night. Floyd is so fast I think he'd counter him and win the fight rather easily but he could be Roy and get caught which is why everyone would have to watch the fight.

Basically I just ranted on all of that because Floyd fans are naive and we all want to see the biggest fight of the last 10 years and the sport of Boxing really NEEDS to make this fight happen.

There is some awfully good talent under 30YO in the weight range Manny fights at. That's what I would like to see, as opposed to Mayweather running backwards for an hour.

WW has thinned out over time, nobody at 147 will come close to Pac outside of Mayweather.

at 140 the only viable options are Timothy Bradley (who's a decent fighter, but has no market value so he doesn't get the fight). Amir Khan vs. Pacquiao would be somewhat interesting because of his length, ability to jab, and his ridiculously fast hands, but he trains with Freddie Roach and spars with Pac so I doubt that fight will happen

there is literally nobody else currently at 140 or 147 that will challenge Pac or Mayweather

then there's the deal of Bob Arum not dealing with other promoters regarding Pacquiao, he knows the kind of money Pac generates, if he loses to anybody, Arum wants it against another Top Rank fighter so he can profit.

all the talent in boxing right now is at 168, and Pac isn't going up that high

be prepared for Pac vs. Marquez III in november followed by Pac vs. Cotto/Margarito II

Edited by StillUnknown

• 2 weeks later...
Roy Jones brutally KOed again in his fight in Russia. Final round, he was out for a loooong time. :(

Hang 'em up Roy.

I was never truely a Jones fan, but this is sad. After what he said a long time ago, he was the one fighter that I thought would never hang around too long. Does anyone know if he's broke?

As for Hopkins. That was a great fight by him.

I was never truely a Jones fan, but this is sad. After what he said a long time ago, he was the one fighter that I thought would never hang around too long.

His sticking around doesn't surprise me at all - with his over-inflated ego.

His sticking around doesn't surprise me at all - with his over-inflated ego.

Well, he had a friend (I forget the boxers name) that got seriously hurt during a fight and it hit Jones really hard and he strongly implied that he'll retire early.

Edited by DM72

Well, he had a friend (I forget the boxers name) that got seriously hurt during a fight and it hit Jones really hard and he strongly implied that he'll retire early.

Sadly, that actually indicates his ego is bigger than previously thought, that it would over-ride something as big as that.

You are talking about Gerald Mcclellan. KO'ed in brutal war against Nigel Benn. Vicious fight. Fight left him blind, partially deaf after having clot removed from brain. Sad. Him & Jones are friends. Refs need 2 do a better job, so these guys don't get seriously hurt.

The biggest problem I see in boxing right now (besides the disaster that is the heavyweight division) is the poor quality of the referees. Granted, Jones was fighting in Russia and God only knows how refs are chosen there. But the Hopkins' fight was horribly officiated. And it seems to be a common theme over the past few years. They were showing highlights of the Moore-Foreman fight and seeing Joe Cortez really brought it into focus how poorly the fights are officiated now.

Yea, I saw the youtube comments about it being a cheap shot that put Jones down.

Ridiculous.

It's the Ref's job to stop the fight, not the fighter's.

no ****...I was looking forward to seeing Roy get knocked out because I never liked him too much, but that video was awful...that ref should never be allowed to officiate a boxing match ever again...Roy was obviously out on his feet..that was pretty terrible to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
Berto Backpedals On His PED Accusations.

I'm losing more and more respect for some boxers by the day. I guess if they can't beat someone, they must be taking something

www.examiner.com/fight-sports-in-national/berto-backpedals-on-ped-accusations-trainer-takes-shot-at-floyd-mayweather-jr

in general, boxers are taking something

i'm not speaking directly of Ortiz or anyone else, but if congress ever got involved like they did with baseball a few years back, boxing would be shut down quickly

in general, boxers are taking something

i'm not speaking directly of Ortiz or anyone else, but if congress ever got involved like they did with baseball a few years back, boxing would be shut down quickly

That might be, but unless they (Mayweather/Berto) have proof, they need to keep quite.

http://twitter.com/#!/danrafaelespn/status/78139099747332096

@danrafaelespn

Dan Rafael

Victor Ortiz's manager has confirmed to me that Ortiz will be facing Floyd Mayweather on Sept. 17.

20 minutes ago via web

So he turns down 65 million to fight Manny, and instead will go after Ortiz. I guess the idea of being undefeated means more to him than money, but boxing historians are always going to bring this up if they never meet.

Mayweather defenders will keep making excuses for him but for the vast majority of people, the more Manny's people push for the fight and the more Floyd runs away from it, the more it tarnishes his legacy. It's better to have a few loses and have the reputation of going after the best every chance you get than to be undefeated and be known for ducking a few key fighters.

Edited by Unforgiven