Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Mayweather kept pushing the fight off until Manny was to old to do him much harm. Five or six years ago this would have been a good one.

I keep hearing this, but I don't understand the logic, considering that Manny is 2 years younger than Floyd.

Is it because Manny's skills are deteriorating at a much quicker pace than Floyd's ?

Mayweather is and excellent defensive fighter who was never tested by another great while in their primes. Should have took the Leonard route, that dude took on the greats of his time, Duran, Hearns, Hagler. Mayweathers through a combination of dodging and a lack of elite peers has managed to do what he has done.

Edited by HOF44

My final thoughts on this fight. 

Put plainly, that fight was boring.  If we had no idea who either of those two guys were we'd have all been surfing the net on our phones by round 4 or checking to see if any food was left over from when we started eating a day and a half ago.  The Spurs Clippers game on earlier tonight was a thousand times better than this fight  None of that means that I regret watching it however because the value, for me, was created by the build up.  The fact that it was a big deal and a fight you felt that you simply couldn't miss.  I grew up watching big fights like that with my dad and for a moment I was transported back to that happy time.  The old man, who these days isn't the happiest of people, called me up about how it was the fight of the century.  Couldn't be missed!  He's prone to exaggeration when experiencing a temporary bout of happiness.  God bless him.    It's been too long since I even remembered these moments we had and for that this fight was special. 

Boxing was big for a day and a lot of people out there were able to experience something they didn't realize they missed.  It's weird how sports matter more than they should. 

Now hopefully some hard hitters with iron lined heads that firmly believe offense is defense pop up and give us more of these. 

• Like 1

I keep hearing this, but I don't understand the logic, considering that Manny is 2 years younger than Floyd.

Is it because Manny's skills are deteriorating at a much quicker pace than Floyd's ?

You lose power much earlier than technique. Manny does not pack the punch now he did a few years ago. He was never going to outbox Mayweather, to beat him he needed the power for the KO.

My GOD boxing is so boring, there was like 3min of action in that entire fight! Floyd is a great Def fighter but to say this is the fight of the century is a joke. After watching MMA, boxing is unwatchable now, jab jab hold boring snoozefest.

The century meaning the last 15 years. MMA is more boring to many of us.

Wish manny would have shown up.  or at least did more than nothing special.

He tried, he couldn't.

Mayweather is and excellent defensive fighter who was never tested by another great while in their primes. Should have took the Leonard route, that dude took on the greats of his time, Duran, Hearns, Hagler. Mayweathers through a combination of dodging and a lack of elite peers has managed to do what he has done.

False!!! Go to boxrec.com and look at his record and opponent's records. He simply is better than his opposition. Give him his credit. He earned it.

• Like 1

Went how I thought it would go now, and in 2009 and in 2005 and in 1996 .  Pac doesn't have a good jab and can't cut off the ring, that's a recipe for an easy W for Mayweather.  

Freddie Roach is looking funny in the light, how does Pac come out and throw 30 punches in the first round? Really would like to know what the plan was.

• Like 1

False!!! Go to boxrec.com and look at his record and opponent's records. He simply is better than his opposition. Give him his credit. He earned it.

I could care less about records, the boxers he faced were just not great fighters. Good for thier time but not great. He was never tested by a equally talented peer, much less a few of them. He is a good boxer but a lot of times greatness is defined by your opponents.

I wonder how Floyd wouldve faired in the 70s and 80s? Such a talent

Boxers like Leonard, Hearns, maybe Duran, would have hurt him. Mayweather and Hagler would have been interesting he might have been able to run away from him.

Edited by HOF44

I could care less about records, the boxers he faced were just not great fighters. Good for thier time but not great. He was never tested by a equally talented peer, much less a few of them. He is a good boxer but a lot of times greatness is defined by your opponents.

Good gracious, I can't believe I am going to defend Floyd Mayweather. What you are talking about isn't Mayweather's fault. All he can do is beat everyone that enters the ring with him in his era.

I wonder how Floyd wouldve faired in the 70s and 80s? Such a talent

I wonder if Floyd's style wouldn't have been different. He's an incredibly smart fighter.

Good gracious, I can't believe I am going to defend Floyd Mayweather. What you are talking about isn't Mayweather's fault. All he can do is beat everyone that enters the ring with him in his era.

I would agree with except the whole dodging Pac until he was over the hill.

Edited by HOF44

I would agree with except the whole dodging Pac until he was over the hill. Pad was the best of his time and he put him off.

I certainly wish they would have fought back then as well. Manny is clearly past his prime and has been for a few years.

• Like 1