Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you all think about a Sean Taylor Statue at Fed Ex,(merged)

mcarey032

A statue? That's going a little far. If there ever was some sort of statue a Baugh or Gibbs statue would make more sense. What's next? Calling it Taylor Fedex Stadium? :doh: Let's let Taylor rest in peace.

Break on through Man! Jim Morrison would wanted it, him and Sean were kindered spirits...Modern day shamans and indian warriors and such...

For the love of God would you people please stop this nonsense. Why can't we all just agree that he was a fine young man who died before his time and move on?

Here, here!!! I like ST too, but I think many people go way overboard with the memory of the man. Lets be for real... most of us did not even know him, so to use the word that you "loved" the guy is a little over the top.

Did you love that he was on your team? Did you love watching him play? Did you love that he was in his own right a symbol of what a saftey should be? Yes on all counts.

But to say you truly loved the guy? I dont get it. I was very shocked when the whole thing happened too. It was very tragic and no family should have to endure what the Taylors have gone through. No parent should ever bury their children. But the way some fans clamor on, you would think they lost a very close relative.

I think every person should have the right mourne in their own way, but as fans we need to let him and this tragedy go. Sean will live in our hearts and minds and "Jacked Up" reels forever.

There have been other Redskins greats that have passed, but Sean is the one that keeps haunting us.

I say we start a petition to have a Sean Taylor stickie for the rest of the year so these threads can all go in there and not offend people that want to move one. There are alot of fans that want to move on. Let them.

I think the only thing that may keep that from happening is that he was taken away just as he was reaching his potential (multiple interceptions vs Green Bay). Because he was not a 10-15 year mainstay on the team that was also responsible for us going to multiple Super Bowls, I think something like a smaller rememberance (rather than a statue) will suffice.

I was sad to see him go and will miss him as well, but he didn't play long enough to where he became the best Safety without a doubt.

Not a good idea. I will miss him being on my favorite team, but he was here for 4 years. He wasn't a career player that might need to be memorialized. I would do something for him around the stadium because from everything we know, he was a great teammate and great player, but I would stop there.

I hope this doesn't come off as me not having sympathy...I just think ST needs to start being remembered as a human being (by his girlfriend, parents, daughter, etc.) and the Redskins should back out of the limelight when it comes to the tragedy that took his life.

I pretty much post the same thing every time one of these threads pop up. Everyone mourns & deals with death differently. I am not going to sit here & tell anyone how they should feel, or how they should act, or what they should think.

A football player, in the prime of his career, was killed. I know we didn't know him, but as fans, we felt like we did. It's not every day that a star player dies during the season. It's even tougher when it's a player who was universally adored throughout the fanbase. It's been 5 1/2 months. Is that long enough to grieve? Who am I to say. And more importantly, who are you to say?

Personally, I'm over it. I have been for a while now. But I still do the little things. The 21 parking lot picture is still my desktop at work. I make the Santana 21 hand sign when I'm playing ball. So maybe I'm only 96 % over it. So what?

There's nothing wrong with an ST thread popping up. If you don't like it, don't click on the thread. It's really that simple. I didn't come in this thread at first, because I knew at least half of the responses would be of the "Get over it" variety. Maybe all of the ST threads wouldn't be so "unbearable" if any of them stayed on the topic.

As for the OP. I don't think a statue is necessary, but if one was erected, I would certainly make it a point to get down there & get a picture with it.....

To people saying no:

Where's the line? Are you against his name in the ring of fame? What about the memorial he has on the upper ring? Is that bad? Retire his number? Not let people wear his number? Keep his locker? Put a "21" ribbon on this year's tickets? Keep the Sean Taylor section of the website? Fund his foundation? Have him as an avatar here? Have ES keep hosting the signature that everyone uses?

What? Where is the line? Why are some things acceptable while others aren't? Why not just let people say what they want, grieve how they want, and let people be? If some people want it, then let them talk about it. Will it go through? Probably not. But you don't have to be jerks about this. Would I like to see a statue of him flying over the goal line in Philly of '05? Sure. Maybe one of his hit on Crayton during the Monday Night Miracle. Would I be heartbroken if it didn't happen? Nah. But who am I to tell other people what to feel or what to think? Just let people be.

But who am I to tell other people what to feel or what to think? Just let people be.

That would be fine & dandy if you didn't just come on here and type a post telling people how to behave when it comes to telling people how to behave.

This is a public forum. Win some, lose some. There are plenty of Sean Taylor tributes in existence. What's next... a statue of Vince Lombardi at FedEx because he died before he could really take the 'Skins to the next step?

That would be fine & dandy if you didn't just come on here and type a post telling people how to behave when it comes to telling people how to behave.

This is a public forum. Win some, lose some. There are plenty of Sean Taylor tributes in existence. What's next... a statue of Vince Lombardi at FedEx because he died before he could really take the 'Skins to the next step?

Eh. Kind of a flawed argument for the first part. I'm telling people to let other people be when they're grieving, not how to behave in general.

I do see your point about Lombardi, but Lombardi's death isn't analogous to Sean's. If you want to compare a living legend dying of too-soon natural causes to a rising phenom being gunned down in his own home by a guy he paid to mow his lawn while protecting his girlfriend and daughter, then you might want to rethink that.

I think it would be cool to have some statues outside the stadium, not necessarily ST, but some of the all time greats: Riggo, green, monk, Theisman, sonny, gibbs, etc. Might be kind of cool.

Now I think that THAT is a good idea. It'd be nice to have some Redskins history thrown in with the 93,000-seat billboard that is FedEx Field.

I say we start a petition to have a Sean Taylor stickie for the rest of the year so these threads can all go in there and not offend people that want to move one. There are alot of fans that want to move on. Let them.

A sticky is a good idea. Consolidate all of the threads there. :applause:

I think it would be cool to have some statues outside the stadium, not necessarily ST, but some of the all time greats: Riggo, green, monk, Theisman, sonny, gibbs, etc. Might be kind of cool.

A cool statue would be a fun bunch statue centered as you walk up before entering the stadium. A statue of this pic:

The%20Fun%20Bunch%201.jpg

didnt the bucs do something where they had a building right next to the stadium and made statues of their SB winning team?

I wouldnt mind seeing Baugh, Riggo, Green, Monk, ST, etc. get something like that. But a simple statue to JUST ST is too much in my opinion.

But your heart is in the right place for sure!!

Too bad this wasn't with the Skins because it would be perfect for a statue.

STaylor8PittHit.JPG

These two are almost identical:

sean-taylor-knockout-1.jpg

STagain.jpg

Both would be awesome statues....and to the people totally against the idea, why not?

I don't like the argument that "oh, it's too much."

Yes his career with us was a short one but in his few years here he gave us more memories than any other player I can think of on our roster and more than most players back from Gibbs I. He was refining the safety position and loved this team like no other. I have no doubt that if nothing ever happened to Sean that he would've been locked up here for the rest of his career. He was taken from us way too early and I don't understand why anyone would be against a statue of him being put up in front of FedEx.

The city of Philadelphia has a a statue of a fictional character like Rocky Balboa, why not Sean Taylor. I think its a good idea. However, if you are going to have ST, it leaves out the likes of Riggins, Gibbs, DW, D. Green..so on and so forth. I feel a ST should be seen more as of a reminder not just as a shrine.

Eh. Kind of a flawed argument for the first part. I'm telling people to let other people be when they're grieving, not how to behave in general.

I do see your point about Lombardi, but Lombardi's death isn't analogous to Sean's. If you want to compare a living legend dying of too-soon natural causes to a rising phenom being gunned down in his own home by a guy he paid to mow his lawn while protecting his girlfriend and daughter, then you might want to rethink that.

I'm not comparing the two, merely asking where we stop because the defense seems to be "Sean woulda', coulda'."

No one here is grieving. A half a year has gone by. This whole talk of a statue... it just doesn't make sense. I feel robbed of watching Sean grow as much as anyone, but his death certainly doesn't merit this kind of immortality to a sports team. To his family, yes, but not to a sports team.

The city of Philadelphia has a a statue of a fictional character like Rocky Balboa, why not Sean Taylor.

It was a movie prop that caused tons of controversy, not a statue meant to immortalize Sylvester Stallone/Rocky Balboa/John Rambo or anyone else.

I am assuming you are new to the board skinsfan1962 judging from your number of posts. But, some people have just been trying to put Sean's death behind them and move on. They are not trying to forget him, just trying to put his death behind them.

I am barely exaggerating when I say that there are Sean Taylor threads here on a daily basis. It's just a bit much now.

BTW, IMO so is the statue idea.

All caps? Unnecessary.

I miss Sean too but I am starting to wish we had a separate Sean Taylor forum. Can we never let him rest?

I'll miss seeing the guy on the field, but there has to be a moratorium on this stuff.

He came and we got to watch him for a bit, but now he's gone. His family and especially his little girl will miss more of him than we'll ever know.

A statue? That's going a little far. If there ever was some sort of statue a Baugh or Gibbs statue would make more sense. What's next? Calling it Taylor Fedex Stadium? :doh: Let's let Taylor rest in peace.

Agreed four-fold. He wasn't that great of a player for a long length of time like a Baugh, Jugenson, Riggins, Monk, Gibbs or Green. Those names right off the bat would warrant a statue before Sean. He wasn't legendary which is why you would put a statue up. And I really wish these Sean tributes would go away. He's gone. Nothing you can do about it. Time to move on. He wasn't a patron saint or pope, just a football player. Time to let him rest. And I'm against retiring his number. I just don't think he left a "legacy" enough to warrant that. Don't let anyone wear it for 2 or 3 years and then open the number back up. Keep the memorial banner on the stadium.

Sean Taylor... larger in death than in life.

He was a pretty good player that everyone enjoyed when he wasn't doing mind-numblingly stupid things.

He died in a horribly tragic way.

And now he is apparently the single-greatest player in the history of the team.

This reminds me of the reaction to Kurt Cobain's death.

Chuck Klosterman has a pretty good synopsis of it in "Killing Yourself to Live." The gist is, Cobain's star was in decline in the months prior to his death. Pearl Jam was outselling them, Vedder had become "the voice of his generation" or whatever, and Kurt was becoming this bitter figure whose main objective seemed to be pissing off his fans.

Then he offed himself and everyone treated him like John Lennon. I remember people who never bought a Nirvana album talking about "how they were dealing with it."

The way you reacted to Cobain's death said more about you than him. The same is true with this never-ending one-unmanship over Taylor.

i agree mike, if we were to build a ST statue, you have to build 5 or 6 others as well and spread them around the outside of the stadium

and honestly, i wouldnt mind seeing a bunch of statues spread out across that stadium saluting the great redskins of past. that stadium could use some character too..:2cents:

It probley is going a little far....but you gotta admit....a huge ST statue right before you walk into Fex Ex....would be pretty darn SWEET.

I think it would be ridiculous.

In general, I think statues to athletes are a little silly. But most of them are for people who impacted their sport or cities in dramatic, far-reaching ways.

Unitas

Clemente

Jackie Robinson

Um...Sean Tayor?

Archived