Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you all think about a Sean Taylor Statue at Fed Ex,(merged)

mcarey032

Hey all,

I know that the redskins have done an outstanding job in dealing with the Sean Taylor tragedy. What Mr. Snyder and the rest of the redskins players and fans have done to honor and remember Sean Taylor's memory has been amazing and truly a testament to the man. I know that there is a Sean Taylor name plate in Fed Ex in the ring of fame, but I thought it would have been a cool tribute to see a statue of Sean Taylor right outside of Fed Ex field, much like they do at other stadiums. I thought that they could do use the pose of him diving into the endzone when he recovered the fumble against the eagles. I thought it capture his brilliant play as a player, but it symbolized his courage and sailing into heaven. I thought it was a moving tribute to a player who made a massive impact on our community in a just a short time. I thought every time we entered the field, it could remind us of him. Not there not other obvious reminders, but it could be a lasting tribute to pass onto our children as to say there was the best safety I ever saw play the game, because I tell you that is what I would tell my new born son. Just curious as to what other fan's thoughts were on this.

Yeah no doubt that we would have it moved. I think that we are locked in for another ten years before we can get out of the lease. Snyder gave the naming right to Fed Ex for 20 years and I believe that we got in there back in 1997. Snyder got the naming rights about 2-3 years later, so we have time to worry about another stadium and issue. It would be the samething like moving the ring of fame names off the stadium.

I can understand the sentiment about having a statue to honor Sean. I have cried many times over his tragic death. But I do not think a statue would be appropriate. I think a statue should be reserved for someone who has done the most for an organization over many years. Sean Taylor was an awesome player and may have very well ended up in the Hall Of Fame...unfortunately, we will never know how great he might have been.

The team has done an outstanding job in handling an unprecedented event...but let's be honest...there are dozens of players that have had a much larger impact over several years with this team that argualbly deserve a statue due to their "on-field" accomplishments...Sammy Baugh, Joey T. Riggo, The Posse, The Hogs, Mosely, Manley, Mann, Billy, Sonny, George Allen, Gibbs, Jack Kent Cooke, etc.

The Ring Of Honor is appropriate.

I can understand the sentiment about having a statue to honor Sean. I have cried many times over his tragic death. But I do not think a statue would be appropriate. I think a statue should be reserved for someone who has done the most for an organization over many years. Sean Taylor was an awesome player and may have very well ended up in the Hall Of Fame...unfortunately, we will never know how great he might have been.

The team has done an outstanding job in handling an unprecedented event...but let's be honest...there are dozens of players that have had a much larger impact over several years with this team that argualbly deserve a statue due to their "on-field" accomplishments...Sammy Baugh, Joey T. Riggo, The Posse, The Hogs, Mosely, Manley, Mann, Billy, Sonny, George Allen, Gibbs, Jack Kent Cooke, etc.

The Ring Of Honor is appropriate.

I kinda agree with FunBunch on this one. Maybe a huge Billboard with that picture of Sean(when he had dreads) overlooking the field?? Maybe thats too much, i dunno.

I hear you on the fact that the ring of honor is appropriate. I just like the idea of the statues surrounding Fed Ex Field. I like the statue of Johnny Unitas outside the Baltimore stadium. It gives feel of great tradition and honor, even though he never played for the Ravens, it is a connection to the city and tradition. Just a thought. Also I would be in favor of adding other players outside the stadium. I just thought it would be a great tribute. Obviously, I am not trying to diminish what has been done already. It was just a suggestion.

I hear you on the fact that the ring of honor is appropriate. I just like the idea of the statues surrounding Fed Ex Field. I like the statue of Johnny Unitas outside the Baltimore stadium. It gives feel of great tradition and honor, even though he never played for the Ravens, it is a connection to the city and tradition. Just a thought. Also I would be in favor of adding other players outside the stadium. I just thought it would be a great tribute. Obviously, I am not trying to diminish what has been done already. It was just a suggestion.

I feel ya...

It's easy to get caught up in the emotion of this season...no matter what happens down the stretch...wether we win out, lose out, make the playoffs or fall just short...this season WILL be defined as the season we lost Sean Taylor.

It's kind of weird that wehn someone influencial dies, they in a way become larger than life.

I was thinking about if this tradegy happened to someone even bigger to his team...like a "Brett favre" type player...Favre is an obvious Hall Of Famer...he holds ever major record and is probably the biggest start the storied franchise of the Packers has ever had, Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi notwithstanding...

One would argue that Favre deserves a statue, simply for his "on-field" achievements...but there is no rush right now to get him one...maybe there will be one day...maybe not...

...But if God forbid there was a tragedy, I could see there being a HUGE cry to get him a statue...it's just one of those things that happens when someone dies, especially well before their time.

I feel ya...

It's easy to get caught up in the emotion of this season...no matter what happens down the stretch...wether we win out, lose out, make the playoffs or fall just short...this season WILL be defined as the season we lost Sean Taylor.

It's kind of weird that wehn someone influencial dies, they in a way become larger than life.

I was thinking about if this tradegy happened to someone even bigger to his team...like a "Brett favre" type player...Favre is an obvious Hall Of Famer...he holds ever major record and is probably the biggest start the storied franchise of the Packers has ever had, Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi notwithstanding...

One would argue that Favre deserves a statue, simply for his "on-field" achievements...but there is no rush right now to get him one...maybe there will be one day...maybe not...

...But if God forbid there was a tragedy, I could see there being a HUGE cry to get him a statue...it's just one of those things that happens when someone dies, especially well before their time.

I agree.

Besides "The Ring of Fame," we don't really have anything shows the history of the team in and around the stadium. Which is another reason why fans have such a problem with FedEx in the first place. There is nothing that connects the older generations of Redskins with the new generation. FedEx is just a bowl where our favorite team plays. If Snyder is coming up with a way to get us back in DC within the next 10 years, then hopefully this new stadium will be the mecca of all that is Redskins and Redskins history -- including a lasting tribute to Sean.

Yes, I can imagine it. I just recently had a son born. It was the day after Sean passed away. It was totally sad. I was able to get him a Sean Taylor jersey for his age. Of course I will have to go out and get bigger size kids one as well, so that I can tell him that Sean Taylor was the best safety that I ever saw play the game. He layed the wood to the opposition all the time and put the fear into the offense. He will hear it from me, but sometimes it is hard for children to make that connection. From a sports history perspective, I thought it was just another way to have a tradition to honor a fallen redskins player who was great, but his life was cut way too short. As other posters have mentioned that there are other players who have done more for this organization and that is true, but I would say that I would also be in favor of honoring those Gridiron greats in the same fashion. I just thought it would be cool when I am able to take my son to a game and say to him, there is Sean Taylor, the best Redskins safety I ever saw. Of course I would love a riggo statue that has him tossing down don mcneil as well or othre redskins greats.

Even though I hate the Yankees, I think it is cool that they have plaques of players in the outfield of Yankee Stadium that the players go by as they go in and out of the bull pen. The statue right outside of M&T of Unitas is really cool as well. I know there are other players who are on our team who deserve it in terms of playing like sonny, sammy, and the diesel. It would be another way to get those players back here in the stadium and it would give them a tribute as well as well as another attraction to build onto our very proud tradition.

This would be perfect. I have a friend who pointed out that ST already has a signature pose much like Michael Jordan. Him diving into the endzone with the ball stretched should be bronzed and sitting right in front of FedEx just like MJ's airjordan pose.

Let me start with the default and say I loved ST and thought he was a great player. He had all pro written all over him for many years to come and possibly HOF material if he showed some longevity with out any major injuries. His death was tragic and it saddens me.

But, I think this is just getting carried away. Jordon, Unitias, the Babe, anyone who has statues outside of stadiums( you can look it up and just look at the images) and you see these are guys who were faces of franchises. Who played many years and had hall of fame careers with those teams. They are symbols of their city and franchise. Unfortunately, ST did not have the opportunity to do this and if we are going to start a tradition of statues, he unfortunately isnt the face of our franchise history. What the Skins have done is great. Taylor will always be remember and I think the Skins have done well with not getting carried away with memorials right after the fact. They have done whats appropriate.

Archived