Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you all think about a Sean Taylor Statue at Fed Ex,(merged)

mcarey032

The city of Philadelphia has a a statue of a fictional character like Rocky Balboa, why not Sean Taylor. I think its a good idea. However, if you are going to have ST, it leaves out the likes of Riggins, Gibbs, DW, D. Green..so on and so forth. I feel a ST should be seen more as of a reminder not just as a shrine.

In all honesty, Rocky Balboa is probably the single most iconic sports figure in Philly history. Outside of Mike Schmidt (and maybe Dr. J), I can't think of another Philly sports star who deserves the honor.

Having said that, the Rocky statue is a little stupid.

I'm not comparing the two, merely asking where we stop because the defense seems to be "Sean woulda', coulda'."

No one here is grieving. A half a year has gone by. This whole talk of a statue... it just doesn't make sense. I feel robbed of watching Sean grow as much as anyone, but his death certainly doesn't merit this kind of immortality to a sports team. To his family, yes, but not to a sports team.

And that's your opinion, and it's fine. Other people, though, are grieving. They don't know how to deal with it, so they come up with ideas like this. I don't think that you're clear on what the term "grieving" really means. It's not just crying at a funeral, and there's no time limit on it. It's people trying to comprehend and cope with something that is bigger than they are. I don't understand why people can't just let other people be.

A common argument here is, "Just let it go, man!" Well, why can't THOSE people just let go of telling other people to "Let it go"?

It was a movie prop that caused tons of controversy, not a statue meant to immortalize Sylvester Stallone/Rocky Balboa/John Rambo or anyone else.

I know it wasn't meant to commemorate Stalone, but that proves my point...its ridiculous. It was generated by a Hollywood movie and now remembered in Philadelphia for what? All it is good for is for fans from other teams to desecrate it as it has been lately.

In all honesty' date=' Rocky Balboa is probably the single most iconic sports figure in Philly history. Outside of Mike Schmidt (and maybe Dr. J), I can't think of another Philly sports star who deserves the honor.

Having said that, the Rocky statue is a little stupid.[/quote']

...thank you

I think it would be ridiculous.

In general' date=' I think statues to athletes are a little silly. But most of them are for people who impacted their sport or cities in dramatic, far-reaching ways.

Unitas

Clemente

Jackie Robinson

Um...Sean Tayor?[/quote']

why does he have to be a national hero to sports in order for people to want a statue of him at their home stadium?

exaaaaaaaactly my thoughts.

if the organization decided they wanted to put a statue up for him then so be it. be happy with it instead of just griping constantly..:2cents:

Then people on this board would be whining about how they didn't make the statue big enough, or that it's too close to the Touchdown Club pre-game stuff and that indicates that Snyder only caters to the wine and cheesers. Or it doesn't have an overhang. Or that it was paid for by $50 beers.

Then people on this board would be whining about how they didn't make the statue big enough, or that it's too close to the Touchdown Club pre-game stuff and that indicates that Snyder only caters to the wine and cheesers. Or it doesn't have an overhang. Or that it was paid for by $50 beers.

:laugh:

we have those fans here too in SD. we call them "debbie downers" like from SNL. and every time they say something a bunch of us all go "waaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"....

All caps? Unnecessary.

I miss Sean too but I am starting to wish we had a separate Sean Taylor forum. Can we never let him rest?

Why reply to the thread if you don't want to answer the question?

I would love to see a Sean Taylor statue outside of FedEx Field... BUT with all the rumors of a possible move to DC in a few years, it might be a good time to honor him with a life-size statue in the new stadium.

Why reply to the thread if you don't want to answer the question?

I would love to see a Sean Taylor statue outside of FedEx Field... BUT with all the rumors of a possible move to DC in a few years, it might be a good time to honor him with a life-size statue in the new stadium.

He did answer the question? He said that we should just let him rest, which implies that he's opposed to the statue idea.

We're not moving anytime soon. We have a 20-year, binding lease on the place. And we can move statues.

All caps? Unnecessary.

I miss Sean too but I am starting to wish we had a separate Sean Taylor forum. Can we never let him rest?

I think everyone grieves in their own way. As Redskins fans, and not personal friends of Sean Taylor, it's, IMO, even harder to put everything in perspective.

I for one tend to think of athelets as larger than life, even though I know better (I'm north of 40). Anyway, I wouldn't mind some kind of statue. It doesn't have to be as big as the picture of Lavar Arrington that we had a few years ago. Something small and respectful.

In all honesty though' date=' who is more closely associated with Philly than Rocky Balboa? It probably goes:

1. Ben Franklin

2. Rocky Balboa

3. That mayor who burned down half the city[/quote']

...and you can throw Vince Papale in there too. :laugh:

I think we should rename planet Earth to Sean Taylor's House.

Really, that the only way we can possibly honor this man. Every child born from now on should be required to have the "Sean" as a middle name.

We should no longer use BC and AD to count years. Rather, we should renumber years with year 1 being the first year Sean played for the Redskins. Thus, this year would be 5 A.S. Anno Sean.

I liked what the guy did for our team. I think his death is undeserved, unnecessary, and tragic only in the limited sense of being a sad ending to his life. That being said, he was just a football player. He was really good and had the potential of being a hall of famer. But he was not Jordan. He only played 4 years.

If he was not on the Redskins but was on, say, the Broncos, none of y'all at all would be mourning his death. Thus, his relationship to each of you is defined as nothing more than (I like him as a player that contributed to my team). And surely had he lived and walked away in free agency, there would be fans here who would immediately turn on him.

One problem I have with many of these calls for tribute is that Sean is deified as a great person. He wasn't. He wasn't even particularly that good of a person from the evidence I am aware of. He had been a criminal and had some criminal friends. There was a lot of negative press about him.

I don't think he was a bad person, and I'm not about to attempt to judge him as such. But I do know that I have no evidence to think that he was a great person or someone who should be honored as a person.

As a football player? He was special and a value to the team. As a person? I don't know. But I do know that a lot of you all are going over the top and trying to make this guy into a great person when we have no evidence of such.

________

I will miss Taylor but only insofar as the selfish reason that I liked what he did for my team and wish I had that back. I didn't know Taylor as a person so I can't miss him for anything beyond that. I liked what the team did and how they used his death as a rallying point last season. That was nice.

Amazingly though, the constant weeping and calls for canonization of Sean Taylor are starting to make me resent his death for the reason that it has caused this kind of nonsense as opposed to resenting his death because it took a good player on my team. The Sean Taylor memorial stuff really needs to stop.

I pretty much post the same thing every time one of these threads pop up.

Me too... So here, I'll post it again:

Relevant article:

For West, public displays of compassion - where we 'send flowers to recently deceased celebrities, weep in public over the deaths of murdered children, wear red noses for the starving of Africa' - are really about making ourselves feel better. It's about 'projecting one's ego, and informing others what a deeply caring individual you are', says West. 'It is about feeling good, not doing good.'...

West says there is often a grisly competition to see who can display their grief most vividly. He notes that the traditional minute's silence is now becoming 'two minutes, even three and occasionally 10'. 'They are getting longer and we are having more of them, because we want to be seen to care.'...

For West, such public displays of grief do not show that we have become more altruistic, but more selfish. The deaths of celebrities and strangers 'serve as an opportunity to (in)articulate our own unhappiness, and, by doing so in public, to form new social ties to replace those that have disappeared'. At a time when 'binding institutions such as the Church, marriage, the family and the nation have withered', says West, we seek new outlets for public connection.

This Sean Taylor stuff is proof of this thesis (from 2004). Notice the "grisly competition" to show grief--it's evidenced here by the unending posts of people trying to show new and different ways to try to show grief. The "informing others" is also in this context about informing others what a good fan you are---because *you* care the most about one of our fallen players.

It has gotten out of hand.

Grieving is a personal journey. So keep it that way.

These constant calls to memorialize Sean in every single way are less about him and more about the people requesting them.

Me too... So here, I'll post it again:

Relevant article:

This Sean Taylor stuff is proof of this thesis (from 2004). Notice the "grisly competition" to show grief--it's evidenced here by the unending posts of people trying to show new and different ways to try to show grief. The "informing others" is also in this context about informing others what a good fan you are---because *you* care the most about one of our fallen players.

It has gotten out of hand.

Grieving is a personal journey. So keep it that way.

These constant calls to memorialize Sean in every single way are less about him and more about the people requesting them.

Yes, grieving is about making one's self feel better. Just like you posting this makes you feel better. So, by your logic, keep it to yourself?

I don't think anyone here has the right to tell anyone how they should feel...or that they feel too much or too little, or that someone needs to get over it and move on etc. Those that like to mock others on the matter, even worse.

Everyone deals with death in different ways...it impacts some folks greater than others. It's fairly simple..for those that have such a glaring problem with it just don't bother replying in the thread...it's not going to change or stop folks from posting about the man unless the Redskins or ES chooses to do that which I doubt.

As far as my feelings on this...I'm not really for or against a statue..if it were done I'd be fine with it, if not it doesn't change anything as far as remembering Sean. There is a plaque like banner(ring of fame?) not sure what to call it of Sean in the stadium imo that is tasteful and adequate, but that's just me.

This just in Sean Taylor is Dead, get over it! Odds are he wasn't going to resign with the Redskins anyway.

I have just read this several times trying to find any logical reason for you to post it but all I can come up with is that you are a negative person and just have to lash out at anyone around you who isnt.

sometimes you should keep your thoughts in your own head.

Archived