Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How well do you treat your pet?

d0ublestr0ker0ll

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

My pet is my best friend. 6 year old border collie, her and I play fetch and wrestle all the time. I've seen families that pay their dogs and cats no attention. I mean, what's the point in having a pet if it's just going to be lonely, sad and bored all day? I know there are some dogs/cats (or what have you) that mope around and don't require much attention, but it's sad to me. Some people are ONLY mean to their pets. It's like they're around to be a proverbial punching bag, and sadly, sometimes literally. How do you all treat your pets?

I also get critisism for the way I feed my dog, even by outsiders. I do regular dog food with wet food mixed in most of the time, but sometimes I mix peanut butter with her food. She loves it. I also give her little pieces of steak and melt cheese on her dry food from time to time. She doesn't have stomach problems, and I feed her human food after long exercises where she runs around for hours at a time. It's good to eat proteins and carbs after humans exercise, why not dogs? My dad used to feed our old border collie a couple potato chips and pieces of bread from time to time. She lived 'til she was almost 14, which is above average. She was always in great condition, and it didn't seem to effect her bowels.

Way, way too well. She is spoiled rotten, but I love her with everything I've got. Our new thing is that when the wife and I go to bed we read a story to our unborn baby every night. Well, the dog has come to LOVE story time. She lies down in between us and puts her head on whoever reads the story - and usually falls asleep. :)

str0ker - I feed my border collie pb all the time also. When we go to work in the morning we give her two femurs with peanut butter and two treats stuffed in them to keep her busy.

Way, way too well. She is spoiled rotten, but I love her with everything I've got. Our new thing is that when the wife and I go to bed we read a story to our unborn baby every night. Well, the dog has come to LOVE story time. She lies down in between us and puts her head on whoever reads the story - and usually falls asleep. :)

str0ker - I feed my border collie pb all the time also. When we go to work in the morning we give her two femurs with peanut butter and two treats stuffed in them to keep her busy.

Wow, your pup reminds me of mine! She is totally spoiled, but returns the favor by being a total sweetheart. She'll fall asleep on my lap and start to have big dreams. Her legs move in a running motion and every muscle in her face spasms, it's like a scary movie. So spoiled she only has stress during her dreams. :laugh: And my dog LOVES the snow, she has another personality when it's snowing. Your dog probably goes nuts too. I've had 3 borders and every one of them went ape-**** in the snow.

Better than most of my friends, I don't bust her chops one bit. I work in a restaraunt and have the busers save all scrap meat, even if it's fish skin or shrimp tails, so I can chp it up and mix it with her food. She gets eggs and olive oil for her coat and always has some nice bones to play with. She is never home for very long, by herself either and we always go for a few long walks, every day(because I have to, pain in the ass won't go out by herself, frickin 120lbs akita is afraid t go outside alone).

Here are a few pics of my lil' mama bear. I saved her last year, she was on her last 24 hrs and I stepped up and saved a dog that has made more than a few other "classic dog haters" fall in love. Best decision i've made in years.

l_2ea7b97a4d52b78c2603a427d84d0e0c.jpg

l_396048a086b114e98f90b05533b6e940.jpg

l_38d97502cf4e0bf6b59e9dbb4788803b.jpg

Wow, your pup reminds me of mine! She is totally spoiled, but returns the favor by being a total sweetheart. She'll fall asleep on my lap and start to have big dreams. Her legs move in a running motion and every muscle in her face spasms, it's like a scary movie. So spoiled she only has stress during her dreams. :laugh: And my dog LOVES the snow, she has another personality when it's snowing. Your dog probably goes nuts too. I've had 3 borders and every one of them went ape-**** in the snow.

She absolutely loves it! She runs and puts her nose down into it and then flips her head back throwing the snow all over. :laugh:

She absolutely loves it! She runs and puts her nose down into it and then flips her head back throwing the snow all over. :laugh:

Mine loves it too. Fat spitz bread. She loves to run out and lay her chubby ass down in it and she couldn't be happier. Plus, when it snows, it lights up the woods and my race track, so I can take her for her normal long walk at night and she knows it!

I'll admit it - two of our dogs sleep in bed with us. Nothing will wake you up in the morning like having a pair of pugs sneezing in your face. Of our 7 dogs (yes, 7), the Mastiff is the only one I feel bad about not giving him enough attention. He seemed like a good fit when we adopted him, but he developed major issues with the other dogs so we have to keep him isolated in his own room for much of the day.

As for feeding your dogs human food, plain meat (except for raw pork) and veggies are generally much healthier than any dog foods, especially your run of the mill name brands. Just keep them away from macadamia nuts, onions, avocados, chocolate, raisins, and grapes (though one or two grapes shouldn't hurt, if your dog devours a bunch of them it could cause kidney failure).

• 4 years later...

I have a cat with thumbs named Little Mutant. Always was more of a dog person, but he's changed my mind a bit. A dog is more loyal, but cats have some personality. To each their own, I like both. Just don't have room for a dog.

He drinks bottled water and eats expensive food. Treats my lap like his bed, and makes a complaining sound if I don't pay him enough attention.Likes to throw his cat litter from the box onto the floor, grab my ankles when I try to leave, and wakes me up if I sleep too long by screaming.

I'm not sure why after typing this, but I love him lol

My fat akita I was talking about before lives with my Dad now (who she always liked better anyway) and I miss her more than anybody I know.

Thanks for bumping this thread and salting my wounds.

Maggie, who turned one the other day gets treated too well. She's never heard the word No, let alone ever had a negative thing happen since she was 2 weeks old and found.

I have a cat with thumbs named Little Mutant. Always was more of a dog person, but he's changed my mind a bit. A dog is more loyal, but cats have some personality. To each their own, I like both. Just don't have room for a dog.

He drinks bottled water and eats expensive food. Treats my lap like his bed, and makes a complaining sound if I don't pay him enough attention.Likes to throw his cat litter from the box onto the floor, grab my ankles when I try to leave, and wakes me up if I sleep too long by screaming.

I'm not sure why after typing this, but I love him lol

I had a cat with thumbs. It literally found us as a kitten (jumped into our car during a snow storm) It was a tough as nails outdoor cat until that was always friendly but kept its distance.... Until the day it realized it was dying. Never forget seeing her walk into the living room and getting on the bed right between the two dogs. The dogs were in shock as they both knew better thn to so much as bark at her. She settled down right there in the midst of the entire family curled up in a ball and never woke up.

Some cats do have personality and they totally become part of the family like dogs.

My pet is my best friend. 6 year old border collie, her and I play fetch and wrestle all the time. I've seen families that pay their dogs and cats no attention. I mean, what's the point in having a pet if it's just going to be lonely, sad and bored all day? I know there are some dogs/cats (or what have you) that mope around and don't require much attention, but it's sad to me. Some people are ONLY mean to their pets. It's like they're around to be a proverbial punching bag, and sadly, sometimes literally. How do you all treat your pets?

I have 2 dogs (a dachshund/Jack Russell mix-Peanut & a pure bred Minpin-Sgt. Rocky) & 2 cats (twin calicos). I love them like they were my kids. My cats are around 10 years old, Peanut is around 5 years old & Rocky is just over 10 months). I had a cat that died a couple years ago that was my baby. She was a bombay (all black) & she went everywhere I went. She died virtually in my arms when she was 17 years old.

I also get critisism for the way I feed my dog, even by outsiders. I do regular dog food with wet food mixed in most of the time, but sometimes I mix peanut butter with her food. She loves it. I also give her little pieces of steak and melt cheese on her dry food from time to time. She doesn't have stomach problems, and I feed her human food after long exercises where she runs around for hours at a time. It's good to eat proteins and carbs after humans exercise, why not dogs? My dad used to feed our old border collie a couple potato chips and pieces of bread from time to time. She lived 'til she was almost 14, which is above average. She was always in great condition, and it didn't seem to effect her bowels.

As far as feeding your dog human food, I would advise against it. My vet explained to me that dogs, especially, don't have the digestive system to handle the processed food we eat. Even tho your dog may not show signs or even have issues now, if you continue to feed her human food, it can cause her more trouble than you'd like. Especially things like cheese. Just sayin'. We used to feed Peanut from the table too, then the vet talked to us about it & he hasn't had human food since, about 6 months ago (Peanut, not the vet-lol).

---------- Post added June-18th-2012 at 12:07 AM ----------

I had a cat with thumbs. It literally found us as a kitten (jumped into our car during a snow storm) It was a tough as nails outdoor cat until that was always friendly but kept its distance.... Until the day it realized it was dying. Never forget seeing her walk into the living room and getting on the bed right between the two dogs. The dogs were in shock as they both knew better thn to so much as bark at her. She settled down right there in the midst of the entire family curled up in a ball and never woke up.

Some cats do have personality and they totally become part of the family like dogs.

I have had cats all my life. At one time, there was around 9 cats in my house due to breeding & kittens & such. Every single cat I have ever seen/dealt with/raised has it's own personality.

That said, dogs are rather independent as well with their personalities. The difference between the 2 species is that dogs require far more human intervention in their lives, whereas cats seemingly need way less.

With a cat, you scoop the little once every couple of days (depending on your cats-you may need to do it every day) & put food in a dish once or twice a day & you can go on about your day without ever even seeing your cat & no big deal.

With a dog, you have to walk them & love on them as well as feed them. That's not a bad thing at all. A dog makes you feel important & needed, no matter how insignificant you may feel in the rest of your life, you are the best thing of their day. Cats...they are the best thing of YOUR day. The dog belongs to you, but you belong to a cat. The difference is silly, but anyone who has had both in their lives can relate.

They are both wonderful pets, but you different in their own right.

---------- Post added June-18th-2012 at 12:09 AM ----------

I love my lab the chihuahua my wife got last month...not so much, the lab is great and smart as a tack but I'm not goofy about how much I like him. I have a friend of mine who's facebook pics are all about him and his dog...creepy!

I haven't posted those pics in a while.

wait.

:paranoid:

nevermind.

Haven't owned my own pet in 29 years. However,I've helped taken care of my family's pets many,many times over the years as well as a few roommate's pets. Dogs,cats,horses,ect. I've always treated them like they were my own which is very well. :)

Archived