Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How well do you treat your pet?

d0ublestr0ker0ll

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

My cats are more important than most people to me. Guinness sleeps with his head on my face (tickles when he moves), and Tigger yells to wake me up when it's time for breakfast. China passed on at 14 of a kidney infection, and she's buried in the back yard of the house I used to own...I didn't have the resources at the time to cremate her. Boots passed on of a stroke at 17, (cremated), and Vai had to be put down at 15, (cremated). I still get all sniffy at least once a day thinking about them. Tigger is now the oldest at 17, and we can see his age starting to show more. Guinness is 12, was once 26 lbs, (big fatty, but down to about 18 now). He sits next to me, no matter where I am, and closing the bathroom door is impossible...both like to hang at the edge of the tub till I get out of the shower, then jump in and lick up the water. I've never had any others do that, so I'm curious...does this happen with anyone else's cats?

I chose the first option, though my two dogs don't get nearly the same attention they used to get once the kids came along. They get treated well enough, high quality food, petting and wrestling and all, but I don't walk them nearly as much as I should as I'm often tired and there are a bunch of other things to do. This wouldn't bother me so much if we had a big yard but we don't. The pug is getting to be a bit of a tub.

i love how KH comes in here and doesn't even discuss the thread topic. he just throws out a hit and run comment to stir the pot.

Anyways, I voted for the first option even though my dog now lives in California with my parents.

Didn't some show just come out on HBO about animal shelters? It shows them getting the gas chamber and apparently its very hard to watch. :( I was wondering if that was the inspiration behind this bump

i love how KH comes in here and doesn't even discuss the thread topic. he just throws out a hit and run comment to stir the pot.

Anyways, I voted for the first option even though my dog now lives in California with my parents.

Didn't some show just come out on HBO about animal shelters? It shows them getting the gas chamber and apparently its very hard to watch. :( I was wondering if that was the inspiration behind this bump

They should do the show in North Carolina and show the heart stick method or Virgina where they take them to a junkyard and use them as target practice. Gas chamber is cruel, but it's better than some other places.

I'm not a pet person. Don't hate them and maybe I have too much respect for them not to bring them into my busy life. I don't know how people take care of animals in this day and age. I dog sit for my sister every so often and I just find it a PITA to schedule my life around an animal.

Not trying to stir the pot, simply making an observation about pet lovers that I don't know the answer for. Figure this is as good a place as any to get an answer.

I would treat pets like pets. To me it's pretty nasty to have pets sleeping in the bed with you unless they shower daily also.

Some people treat their pets better than their children and that's sad to me, not exciting.

For the record, I don't have pets anymore because I don't want to take on that responsibility with my schedule.

Truth is, since I've been stuck in the house so much the last couple of years I really find myself treating them like people too. Didn't used to, my last dog was a bird dog and she was very disciplined and acted like a good dog. These two are a pleasure to have around, interacting with them is much different when I'm home with them all day as opposed to coming home from work, taking them out and falling asleep after a bit of tv.

To answer KH, IMO when you love them like a lot of us do, the pleasure they get from being let into the bed is worth the risk of getting some dirt on the bed spread, ewww. It's one of those feel good from giving things and it comes very cheap, both sides win and no permanent harm is done.

I got a Dachsund/West Highland mix from my loser neighbor. He's a feisty little guy but he follows my brit around like she's his savior. Never had two dogs before, it's a different dynamic.

Yeah, the dachsund/JR mix is a really smart dog. I've never owned a dog this smart before. The Minpin is...smart, but aggrivatingly stubborn. But my understanding of Minpins is that they are highly intelligent & need constant stimulation, which can prove to be difficult.

It's funny how many people I run into that have a Jack Russell mix of some sort. JR/chihuahua(sp), JR/pitbull, JR/bulldog....JR really gets around. :ols:

My last dog was a dalmatian and when I was single I let her sleep in the bed. When I got a GF, it was really hard to get the dog to not sleep on the bed. With my new puppy Dancer, she has her own "room" within my room where she sleeps, a good thing. I used to let the 4 kitties sleep with me and I like the door closed and I was up and down all night letting kitties in and out of the room, so no more kitties in the room. Just the dog with her own "room." It's peaceful and I get more rest.

I love all the animals who live in my house. The dog is different in that she requires a lot of attention and play time, more interaction.

5511-DauphinIsland.jpg

Me, my wife (Sally), & our dog Peanut on Dauphin Island, Al.

Sybil2.jpg

This is Sybil. This was taken 2 years ago, a few months before she died.

AJtongueout.jpg

AJ in a usual pose for her. I didn't happen to catch her licking. She routinely has her tongue out. I think it's her way of sassing us.

sarge.jpg

Sgt. Rocky a few months ago. He's gotten a little bigger than this since, but not much. He won't get much bigger at all.

pnut-rocky.jpg

Peanut & "Sarge" staring out the window.

KH, never had a teddy bear?

As a child of course. As an adult, I prefer my space or the comfort of a woman.

Do some of you folks see your pets as security blankets ? Is that the reason to have them sleep with you ?

Don't get me wrong, I am good with pets and love pets, just not to the level of ever having them sleep in my bed. In my room, sure, in my bed never.

When I did have pets, they had their own bed and stayed off the sofa, never ate scraps, etc. They were happy and well behaved. I was happy and it was fun to run around with them and play ball etc.

Do some of you folks see your pets as security blankets ? Is that the reason to have them sleep with you ?

LOL....security blanket? I let my dogs sleep with me but I don't need a security blanket. They are 24 pounds each. Not much security. The truth is, I let them sleep with me because they mean a lot to me. They have gotten older now and I don't know how much longer they will be around, especially my oldest who is now 8. This makes me want to have them around even when I'm sleeping.

My pet is my best friend. 6 year old border collie, her and I play fetch and wrestle all the time.

Border collies are amazing animals. I was blessed to have my "Lexi" for 14 years. She was the most intelligent, hard working, loyal, loving dog I've ever had. When the time came that we had to put her down, I laid on the floor of the exam room with her for an hour, sobbing like a little girl. The last thing she did on this earth was to snuggle into me and rest her head on my arm. I'll never forget it, nor her, as long as I live.

The cool thing about border collies is that if you don't give them a "job" they'll make one for themselves. Though we had baby monitors in our girls' rooms when they were born, Lexi would lay in the doorway, protecting them and listening for any sound they would make. When the girls stirred too much or cried, she would come and get us. Her love for our kids was true from the first day to her last. I just can't say enough good things about her.

We currently have a 12-year old collie who is beginning to get old and tired. He's still a loyal companion, whom we love dearly, but his body just won't do what his heart tells him to anymore. We coddle him as much as we can, trying to ensure that whatever time he has left is as peaceful and filled with love as it can possibly be.

We're also adopting a 7-month old Belgian Malinois/Lab mix on Tuesday. She was surrendered to our local Humane Society a few weeks ago, and had just hit the floor when we found her. She's an incredibly special dog; perfect disposition, and well behaved with both our kids and our collie.

She and I had that instant connection. I've never felt so "right" about a dog. When I met her, I felt like I'd known her forever, and vice versa. She still needs to be spayed, which is happening today, or we would have taken her home as soon as they qualified us.

Some may make fun of me for saying this, but my dogs are members of my family; full-fledged, with all the rights and benefits entitled thereto. And that's what they deserve. Their unconditional love is a precious gift, and they deserve to receive no less.

Tom. how much does a typical blanket weigh ?

My family means a lot to me...but I don't let them sleep in the bed with me. I would give up my bed or provide them with their own.

Ok, it was kinda funny at first, but it seems you really have an issue with what other people do with their pets in regards to sleeping. My pets sleep with us as well. In fact, there are many nights I find myself fighting with the dogs over property lines & end up losing that battle. I don't mind tho. Having the pets on the bed is something I grew up with. As far as what other people do with their pets in this area, have at it. You don't want your pets on the bed, then don't. If you don't care one way or the other, great. Not quite sure it seems to bother you so much that people like having their pets in bed with them.

When I die, I want to be reincarnated as my dog. He's a Basset I picked up at the Humane Society a couple years back.

He's so freaking spoiled it's ridiculous. He and I have matching ski jackets for walks in the winter. Yes, I'm THAT chick.

I don't have an issue with it, I just find it odd.

Not even trying to make a joke here.

I grew up with pets...they had their own beds.

I think people that rock mullets are odd too.

Just trying to find a reason behind it.

You grew up with it...I grew up with pets having their own.

So does your sister sleep in bed with you as an adult when she visits, or any other family members ?

As an adult it seems odd to me.

This thread is currently titled "How well do you treat your pet?" There may be some spin off here,but that no longer includes what you find odd KH. Opinion noted and largely ignored so let's move on.

Archived