Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Sign Asante Samuel?

method man

If it were up to me, I'd sign Samuel and the big possession WR in FA that is a good value like a Bryant Johnson or, if we have hte money, DJ Hackett. I would then use all our picks on OL depth (let old backups like Wade, Fabini, and Pucillo go and replace them with youngsters who will be in the long term future...there are a lot of intriguing OL prospects like Crummey, Tevaga, and some small school guys with very good athleticism) and DLs (an instant starter at DE like Lawrence Jackson and a penetrator at DT like a Dre Moore or Sedrick Ellis if he falls to our first round pick).

He's a big name. There have been numerous times that he has gotten toasted by good WRs (most notably Chad Johnson). I'd say that Springs is probably better than him. Hall also has character issues that I am wary of after Lloyd.

Would I rather have Samuel and my 3rd round pick that would be used for DL or DHall? The answer is easy

I would never argue that he's a better football player than Samuel, just that he was massive potential and could flourish here.

However, if you're right and he is franchise tagged, Samuel would be a good option.

Agreed that OL would be an important position to invest draft picks in.

You really think so?

Springs will have to wise up then, because no team is going to give him another big signing bonus.

He ain't going to. He will find out the hard way. He already refused a paycut last season. Nothing makes me think he will change his mind this coming offseason.

Marcus appears to be on the decline and we could use a pass rushing Linebacker. He's been banged up an aweful lot and from what I saw today, he shouldn't have been playing. Fighting through injury and performing well (see Moss, Santana) is one thing but dragging your body around like he did today really worried me.

Yeah, Marcus is on the decline but he is still pretty good. He is not the Pro Bowler he used to be but he still one of the handful of complete strongside LBs in the league. The guy is also probably a core Redskin. I think we should think about looking at a replacement via the late rounds in the draft (and pick up an underrated kid from a small school) but we shouldn't replace him.

The fact of the matter is that Samuel really isn't worth Nate Clemens money (neither is Nate if you look at this season.) I don't see how we afford him even if we wanted him. He'd be an upgrade, I don't disagree with that, but I wouldn't pay the price that he's going to be asking.

CB is going to be a concern for us going into next year, but I'd like to see us pick up a young vet or go to the draft for help. Look at guys like Cromartie in San Diego, the kid is playing well right out of the gate. I actually DO think that D. Hall would work in this system with a healthy Sean Taylor and Laron Landry backing him up. With good safety help, Hall is very dangerous. With the right coaches his attitude problems won't be an issue. He'll come A LOT cheaper than Samuel will too, keep that in mind.

Something to think about...

Had Nate come to Washington he would be lights out this year ... Williams system works best with physical corners which is why Smoot went and why I am not sold on Samuels or Hall . It was clear Springs head was not in the game today ...and I can see his problems in dealing with his dads condition must be rough, especially in Dallas.

I fear Rogers who was having a good development year this year may given the extent of his injuries never be the player he was becomming but if you need a No.1. CB the only place to look is the draft ... All FAs bring is bagage and a price tag ...

NO!!!

We need a defensive line. We will keep having losses like this one and all the close games we've had this season because we have an average defensive line who can occasionally make plays, but can't put consistent pressure on a QB, nor can they get off the field on third down. That should be our first priority. I want some pro bowl talent on the defensive line. And as it currently stands, neither Griffin nor Carter are playing at a pro bowl level right now. We've tried the overpriced secondary, and it didn't work. We've tried the overpriced LBs and it didn't work. Can we please try the overpriced DL and just see how it works?

We can't keep having the highest priced secondary in the league and the lowest priced defensive line and expect different results. I don't care if we have 4 Darrell Green's back there in our secondary, it doesn't matter unless we can get some consistent pressure up front. Signing a guy like Samuel, or a guy like Smoot, or a guy like Landry, or a guy like Rogers, or a guy like Springs, or even a guy like Taylor just puts a band-aid on our defensive woes. And they'll relieve some of the pains of having a bad defense by making the occasional play and maybe even win some games, but we are relying way too much on our secondary to win games.

Ya ever wonder why the secondary has the name 'secondary'? Maybe because its not supposed to be our primary line of defense? What then is supposed to be our primary line of defense? Hmmmmm, maybe the defensive line? Well, they are the closest to the ball, so it seems that they have the possibilty to have the biggest impact on a play, and the best chance to stop a player for negative yards, and maybe even get a sack. So is the problem that we as redskins fans are too arrogant to believe in this traditional line of thinking? is it that our coaches don't want to draft/sign a bust on the DL so they'd rather draft/sign a player who, although he may be good, doesn't address our flaws on defense, and thus he isn't needed?

Saying that Asante Samuel would solve our problems on defense is like saying that Adrian Peterson would solve our problems on offense. Sure Adrian Peterson is a big name guy, and our running game hasn't been as dominant as it could be, so theoritically it falls in line. But if you look closely at our offensive woes, you see that the problem is more with the offensive line and the playcalling of our coaches.

On that same note, if you look closely you see that our defensive woes are because of our defensive line and our playcalling on defense. So we can do like we seem to do every year, and rebuild the linebackers and secondary and have yet another piss poor defensive year, or we can actually invest some time into scouting and recruiting the defensive line (maybe we can have a pro bowler on the DL). . .

Asante Samuel is great. I give him that. But I doubt if we will sign him. We have Smoot and Rogers and we're committed to Springs. More than anything, his asking price is too high.

Springs' salary jumps to around $9m next year. No way will we pay that. If he doesn't take a significant cut, he's gone.

Springs' salary jumps to around $9m next year. No way will we pay that. If he doesn't take a significant cut, he's gone.

I don't know how accurate this dude's pages are, but here it says his cap hit is only 7.48 mil:

http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Salaries%20-%20Detail.htm

Still high, but we could afford it for our #1 corner for 1 more year. After next year, his cost to cut would only be 2.4 mil, which isn't too bad....

Saying that Asante Samuel would solve our problems on defense is like saying that Adrian Peterson would solve our problems on offense. Sure Adrian Peterson is a big name guy, and our running game hasn't been as dominant as it could be, so theoritically it falls in line. But if you look closely at our offensive woes, you see that the problem is more with the offensive line and the playcalling of our coaches.

On that same note, if you look closely you see that our defensive woes are because of our defensive line and our playcalling on defense. So we can do like we seem to do every year, and rebuild the linebackers and secondary and have yet another piss poor defensive year, or we can actually invest some time into scouting and recruiting the defensive line (maybe we can have a pro bowler on the DL). . .

Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said Samuel would single-handedly solve our problems on defense. I said that he would simply give us someone who can take #1 WRs.

Ya ever wonder why the secondary has the name 'secondary'? Maybe because its not supposed to be our primary line of defense? What then is supposed to be our primary line of defense? Hmmmmm, maybe the defensive line? Well, they are the closest to the ball, so it seems that they have the possibilty to have the biggest impact on a play, and the best chance to stop a player for negative yards, and maybe even get a sack. So is the problem that we as redskins fans are too arrogant to believe in this traditional line of thinking? is it that our coaches don't want to draft/sign a bust on the DL so they'd rather draft/sign a player who, although he may be good, doesn't address our flaws on defense, and thus he isn't needed?

Ever bother reading my original post? I advocate taking DL's with our first round pick and second round pick.

The fact of the matter is that Samuel really isn't worth Nate Clemens money (neither is Nate if you look at this season.) I don't see how we afford him even if we wanted him. He'd be an upgrade, I don't disagree with that, but I wouldn't pay the price that he's going to be asking.

CB is going to be a concern for us going into next year, but I'd like to see us pick up a young vet or go to the draft for help. Look at guys like Cromartie in San Diego, the kid is playing well right out of the gate. I actually DO think that D. Hall would work in this system with a healthy Sean Taylor and Laron Landry backing him up. With good safety help, Hall is very dangerous. With the right coaches his attitude problems won't be an issue. He'll come A LOT cheaper than Samuel will too, keep that in mind.

Something to think about...

The only reason the Chargers were able to get Cromartie was because he had a torn ACL before the draft and the Chargers gambled knowing he'd be out his entire rookie season. Otherwise, he would have been a top 10 pick.

I do not konw about you guys but I am sick and tired of using 1st round picks on the secondary. I'd rather sign a corner and draft DLs.

As a player, I'd love to have him. However, we're projected to be 19.5 million over the cap for 2008. Big ticket guys are just not an option right now.

Don't worry about the cap figure. We will save by letting guys with big base salaries go like Springs, Daniels, Brunell, and maybe Washington, Griffin, and Wade, basically mostly guys we acquired back in 04 who are not so great anymore and have huge base salaries for next season.

Archived