Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Sign Asante Samuel?

method man

Has that question ever stopped us in the past.

And has that method of handling personnel helped us go anywhere in the past outside of 2005. Its time to stop going after this and building a team intelligently. Putting more money into our secondary when we need to spend it on resigning Taylor is not exactly the best of ideas.

Why is everyone on the"Resign Sean Taylor" podium now? His contract isn't up until 2009. Don't get me wrong, I want him around too and think he is a priority, but they aren't going to start worrying about it until next year at least.

it would be a lot cheaper to sign him now than lose him later

Samuels is a good corner dont get me wrong, but i think Bellichick's system has benefitted him more than anything else. The Patriots CB's have always done very well in his system because he plays alot of underneath coverage with his Corners to allow them to make plays when the front 7 gets pressure. I like Samuel , but i wouldnt go as far as saying hes worth the money he will be looking to get after this season.

How much did Nate Clements get? Like $80 million? I know at the end of the day the contract won't amount to that much, but Samuel is going for major dollars.

We have some serious cap work to do, and I just don't see us in the market for any big-ticket guys. Cutting Lloyd is going to hurt the number-crunching too.

Let's just try to keep all the picks we have left and use them on D-line, O-line, wr and corner.

Ever bother reading my original post? I advocate taking DL's with our first round pick and second round pick.

Ever bother reading my original post? My entire statement is that we don't need to invest the money in Samuel. We need to invest the money into our DL. Carlos Rogers is good enough to handle #1 WRs, espcially with the help of some pressure from the DL. Add Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs to that and we have a more than adequate secondary. If they're still not getting the job done, then maybe the problem isn't at CB, but rather somewhere else on the defense.

So if the question becomes which is more important, signing Asante Sameul (or any other player in the secondary) vs signing a player on the DL, then the DL should be the priority. Looking at the cap trouble that this team seems to be in every year, we may very likely be in a position where we can only add one big name player in the offseason, in which case I would prefer it be somebody who can be a consistent pro bowler on the defensive line.

id rather give our 3rd or less for dhall

Did you see him get toasted again yesterday. He is a legend in his own mind. Over-rated with a big mouth. The only thing he has going for him is speed. He is not disiplined enough to play in the Redskin defensive scheme.

Wouldn't we have been just better of holding onto Champ when he was here?

Champ didn't want to be here. There was never going to be any "holding onto" him. I know it sucks we gave up a 2nd rounder as well, but at least we got something in return, and that something is still here and a force for our team. We could have just let the game's best cover corner go and not gotten compensation.

Champ didn't want to be here. There was never going to be any "holding onto" him. I know it sucks we gave up a 2nd rounder as well, but at least we got something in return, and that something is still here and a force for our team. We could have just let the game's best cover corner go and not gotten compensation.

dont say he didnt want to be here, he would have stayed but he was a greedy **** but good thing he left

Taylor > Bailey

Ever bother reading my original post? My entire statement is that we don't need to invest the money in Samuel. We need to invest the money into our DL. Carlos Rogers is good enough to handle #1 WRs, espcially with the help of some pressure from the DL. Add Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs to that and we have a more than adequate secondary. If they're still not getting the job done, then maybe the problem isn't at CB, but rather somewhere else on the defense.

So if the question becomes which is more important, signing Asante Sameul (or any other player in the secondary) vs signing a player on the DL, then the DL should be the priority. Looking at the cap trouble that this team seems to be in every year, we may very likely be in a position where we can only add one big name player in the offseason, in which case I would prefer it be somebody who can be a consistent pro bowler on the defensive line.

LOL

1. Carlos Rogers is going to miss all of preseason with his severe ligament injuries and will never be the same. I would not depend on him next season and anythign he does beyond being a nickelback will be gravy.

2. There are no consistent pro bowler on the defensive line who are FAs without getting franchised.

Your points are not valid at all. I advocate drafting DL because that is the cheaper and more efficient way to pick up quality DL.

First priority is signing Taylor long-term, followed by FINALLY drafting some high round talent for our severely depleted OL, and some for the neglected DL. Then, if you have room, you can consider signing a luxury elite CB like Samuel if the price is feasible. No more DBs until the lines get their proper attention, though.

Do not sign Samuel because NE makes everyone look good. We can't afford to keep shelling out money to every player in the NFL and hope he sticks in our system. Let him slide so we can get our cap down and resign Taylor instead. We know he works in this system.

Archived